What's new

Charcoal Goods beat everything in my den

need to unsub :) hahhahaah always like OH OH I need to try that :)
do want one in stainless though BUT the main bar in brass stainless top and handle :) I love that two tone razor look !
my yates has that and not sure why I like that look so much but YUP :)

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
The Charcoal Goods Gen 3 Level 3 is in the ballpark. :)

The CG Gen 1 Level 3 and Gen 2 Level 3 are more efficient than the Wolfman WR2 1.25 SB, but they are difficult to find and will be more expensive than the CG Gen 3 Level 3.

I totally agree with the Gen 3 Level 3 being a good match for the 1.25. But it’s not nearly as smooth and refined. Closer than anything else I’ve tried though.

I have all three gens of the level 3, and the new Gen 3 is the only one that is smooth enough for me to use regularly. The other are wicked efficient, but I feel it for the next 24 hours. The new one I could probably use every day if I had any whiskers to shave daily, which I don’t. Every other day shaving for me. But I could.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I totally agree with the Gen 3 Level 3 being a good match for the 1.25. But it’s not nearly as smooth and refined. Closer than anything else I’ve tried though.

I have all three gens of the level 3, and the new Gen 3 is the only one that is smooth enough for me to use regularly. The other are wicked efficient, but I feel it for the next 24 hours. The new one I could probably use every day if I had any whiskers to shave daily, which I don’t. Every other day shaving for me. But I could.
I can use the Gen 3 Level 3 daily. Can almost use the Gen 1 Level 3 daily. The Gen 2 Level 3, if not used in a careful and focused manner, can bite.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I can use the Gen 3 Level 3 daily. Can almost use the Gen 1 Level 3 daily. The Gen 2 Level 3, if not used in a careful and focused manner, can bite.

So the YMMV thing comes into play there too. I find the Gen 1 to be much more aggressive. I like the Gen 2. A bunch smoother, and leaves my face a little less raw. And I love the Gen 3. I dont find any of them prone to biting. I just get a raw feeling on my face with the Gen 1. A bunch less with the Gen 2. And almost no raw feeling with the Gen 3. They are all fairly comparable in effectiveness. I am sure the older gens are a wee bit more efficient, but the Gen 3 is plenty efficient enough for me. None of these will be knocking any Wolfman Razors off the throne though. But again, a fraction of the price, and mostly available. So it all good.

Busted out my Charcoal G1 Lvl 2 OC tonight. Just a brilliant razor, efficient but so so smooth. The Lvl 2 OC is becoming the go-to razor for less than ideal blades for me, which is taking over from my 0.86 WR1. I hope Brian offers OC plates in the future.

20220215_194000.jpg

Aw, snap! I've been wondering why Brian has been so quiet on Instagram recently. Looks like he's been busy buying a new CNC lathe. Available summer 2022:

Glad to see some of the classic the handles returning. Hopefully he'll be bringing back the other metals as well.

Interesting that the link for the hammered handle says that it’s 89mm. I thought that was the length of the magnum hammered handle. Wonder if it’s little brother won’t be returning. Either way, I think we’re all ready for these handles. Hopefully we can buy them on their own. Hazaaa

Good catch, hammered, maze and twin helix were all shorter originally - 3"

Wonder if it's the same diameter as the classic hammered

Oh wow - I didn't notice that. The photo seems to be of the old 3" version, but I wonder if he's updating the designs. I'm partial to the 3" handles personally so I hope he continues to offer that length.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I noticed that he writes in the description of each new/old razor/handle combo that all of the handles are 3.5 inches long, and the complete razor weighs 85 grams. Those handles in their original configurations are quite different from one another. Well the original maze and hammered are both 3”. And the stinger is 3.5” and much heavier than the hammered and maze. I don’t have a Stars and Stripes handle. Is this just a cut and paste mistake? Or did he change the handles now?

Edit… I see this question was posted above. I am partial to the bigger and heavier handles like the stinger and magnum. If he makes the maze in that dimension, that would be cool.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I just weighed my Gen 1 Level 2 Stinger, the complete razor. It is 132 grams. The new Gen 3 Level 2 head is about 2 grams heavier than a Gen 1. I weighed my Gen 3 Level 3 head with the same Stinger and it weighed a total 134 grams. The Gen 1 head weighs 32 grams by itself. The Gen 3 head weighs 34 grams. I assume these new posted razors will have the same Gen 3 heads as we are currently getting. So the heads should continue to weigh in at approx 34 grams.

So if Brian is making a 3.5" Stinger razor, where the complete razor weighs in at 85 grams, this is quite a departure. It is going to be a 34 gram head with a 51 gram handle. Since my current 3.5" Stinger handle weighs in at just over 100 grams, the new one will reportedly be the same length, but about half the weight. I find these posted dimensions very confusing.

I suggest it is either going to be hollow handled razor, and very head-heavy. Or Brian put that verbiage in there as a placeholder for the tiny Maze handled razor, and just copy and pasted it into all four postings. Just for reference, the Gen 3 head with my current Maze handle weighs in at 86 grams. So I am thinking Brian just wrote up the description for the Maze handled razor and copy/pasted to all four.

P.S. All razor parts weighed were brass.

Count me out.

I am not going to buy a hollow handled, head heavy razor- it's just simply imbalanced.

Love the idea of bringing back those former handle designs, but they really aren't the same.

The stinger handle looks slim and downsized. The hammered one also looks different.

I much prefer the larger, heftier, original versioned handles of the Magnum or Stinger from back then. Hopefully he will bring those back.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Since you all had me obsessing about Charcoal Goods this morning, and I had a bunch of my CG razors out for the weigh-in, I figured it was only right to shave with one. Gen 3 Level 3 with an old school Magnum. All brass. Super heavy… the way it should be. Really nice shave. In the grand scheme of things, I would consider this razor a Level 2+ as opposed to a tire level 3. The prior generation Level 3’s were wicked razors. This one is quite tame. Smooth but still very efficient.

A37E6B7D-8B83-4404-AD0A-89C75A9791D5.jpeg

Screen Shot 2022-05-09 at 9.50.34 AM.png

Hollow unfortunately. Looks like all four are the same size and use an engraved piece of brass tubing with two brass endcaps pressed in. The 3 piece handle construction probably necessitates the longer 3.5" length (vs the 3" length of the original hammered, maze and stars+stripes). Stinger looks to be slimmed down to match the others. I wouldn't mind a smaller stinger in a solid version like the old 3" handles, but I'm not really interested in these hollow handles. I hope Brian decides to make the original solid versions again sometime in the future.

Last edited:
Top Bottom