What's new

Charcoal Goods beat everything in my den

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Nice shave David, and with a Feather blade. I have to try that in one of my future shaves. How is MDC?Does it dry out your skin? And is the lather thin or thick like some of the artisans soaps
Thank you, my friend. :)

The Feather pairs up nicely with the Gen 3 Level 2 and Level 3 razors. :cool:

To me, MdC is as good as soap gets. I don't find it to be drying at all. Easy to get perfect lather every time. :thumbup:

@BradWorld Try a sample size of MdC. I only have the fougure, but plan to get rose this Spring. For me MdC is easier to use but higher structure than omnibus with a very different post shave feel (yes, I think 'dry' would be how I'd describe it). Also interested to hear @never-stop-learning 's comments.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I am not a fan of unscented soaps. And that price…. Is it really that good? Have you stacked it up against Omnibus yet?
I have MdC Nature (unscented), Fougère and Vétyver. Love all three.

Yes, it is that good - on my face, skin and whiskers - and I find it to be worth every penny. Great structure. Easy to build a lather - in bowl or on face. Slick, protective, all the good traits. Rinses off really clean.

I do not find MdC to be drying, but I have Southern Italian skin (which tends to be a bit oily).

Same shave as yesterday:
View attachment 1393852
CG LVL2 is my first brass razor and I am loving it. I too am missing a little efficiency from it, although the results are still great and it seems to be working well as a daily driver. I ordered it a few days before I embarked on GRUYERE otherwise I would be very tempted by the LVL3.
I quote @never-stop-learning:
You know you want a Level 3. It's calling to you. ;) :innocent:
LOL

@BradWorld For me MdC is easier than omnibus
Easier? Does it lather itself? :p

Last night's shave CG & Omnibus:
PXL_20220119_011057838.jpg

MDC along with more Omnibus is on my list to restock after restraint for the year.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
@BradWorld For me MdC is easier to use but higher structure than omnibus with a very different post shave feel (yes, I think 'dry' would be how I'd describe it).
So the word "dry" in that comment scares me off the MdC immediately. I never judge a soap on how easy or hard it is to lather. And frankly I have never met a soap that was really hard to lather. Its all about how long to load the brush, what kind of brush, etc. So ease of lathering is not an issue I pay any attention to. But hydration is the key for me. When I use Omnibus, my face feels smooth and moisturized for the whole day.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
So the word "dry" in that comment scares me off the MdC immediately. I never judge a soap on how easy or hard it is to lather. And frankly I have never met a soap that was really hard to lather. Its all about how long to load the brush, what kind of brush, etc. So ease of lathering is not an issue I pay any attention to. But hydration is the key for me. When I use Omnibus, my face feels smooth and moisturized for the whole day.
And I must chime in that I do not find MdC to be drying, at all. My face feels great all day whether I use a B&M Omnibus base or MdC.

To reiterate, my face is pretty typical for a Southern Italian (except for a lack of melanin that I inherited from my Dad - hello skin cancer :(). I tend toward oily skin on my face.

My suggestion is to grab a sample of MdC soap and see how you like it. MdC might, or might not, match up with your skin. :)

Shave report:
Razor - CG Gen 2 Level 2 Stainless
Blade - KAI (5)
Soap - A&E St. Barts
Brush - AP Shave Co. 24MM SynBad (Extra Dense)
After - Zingari Explorer balm
Result: 10/10! Smooth, comfortable, BBS shave.

Add'l: This AP brush is great. It's soft but not floppy, and it makes lather quickly and easily. Also, not pricy! The A&E St. Barts stung my face (frag burn?) the first two times I used it. I zapped it in the micro for 8 seconds and did not get burn this time, but it also lost some of its wonderful scent.

full

Last edited:
Charcoal Goods states: "The 'Everyday' is an intuitive and affordable mild-shaving safety razor...
  • A mild shave, blade exposure 0.000"/0.000mm, blade gap 0.030"/ 0.762mm"
1642779671647.png
These qualities make it suitable for me. I like the feel of a milder shaver like my Feather AS-D2. When I use the Level 2, I feel the blade more with its wider gap and blade exposure:
1642783888918.png
"The 'Level 2' is our most popular model and offers a medium aggressive shave...
  • Standard shave:
    • blade gap 0.034"/0.864mm
    • blade exposure 0.004"/0.102mm

For these reasons, I will likely use the Everyday more often than I do my Level 2. It is as smooth as butter and almost as efficient as the Level 2. It is more comfortable and I care more about comfort than I do about a smidge more efficiency.

For those considering the Gen 3 Charcoal Goods razor, I urge you to carefully assess what your needs and desires are. Much discussion has been had in this thread regarding the Level 3. I cannot comment directly about it because I do not have one. I can, however, reasonably extrapolate how it might feel on my face. Caveate emptor:
1642781075008.png
  • Aggressive shave:
    • blade gap 0.045"/1.143mm
    • blade exposure 0.010"/0.254mm

Last edited:
Charcoal Goods Gen 3 Level 2
Astra SP (2)
Plus B&M Le Grand Chrypre in Excelsior for my shave today.

I like the Astra SP better with the Level 2 than I do the recommended Wizamet. This combination results in the disappearing blade feel which has been mentioned in discussions in this thread regarding the Gen 3 Level 2/Wizamet combination. Everyone is different but, for me, this combination of Astra SP and Gen 3 Level 2 is on another level.

Last edited:
I normally use a Wolfman 1.25 SB.

I am perhaps interested in a Charcoal Goods level 2 but I don't like a lot of blade feel. What is the blade feel of the level 2?

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Thanks! Does Charcoal Goods make anything as efficient as a 1.25 Wolfman?
The Charcoal Goods Gen 3 Level 3 is in the ballpark. :)
20220118_073046~2.jpg
20220117_154308~2.jpg

The CG Gen 1 Level 3 and Gen 2 Level 3 are more efficient than the Wolfman WR2 1.25 SB, but they are difficult to find and will be more expensive than the CG Gen 3 Level 3.

In my opinion, how effective a razor shaves is a better measure of overall performance. Efficient + Smooth = Effective. The Gen 1 Level 3 is more efficient and darn near as smooth as the Gen 3 Level 3. They are very close in effectiveness. The Gen 2 Level 3 is more efficient but not as smooth as the Gen 3 Level 3 so, to me, the Gen 3 is slightly more effective.

The Wolfman WR2 1.25 SB is efficient and smooth. It is a highly effective razor.

Hope this makes sense. :)

The Charcoal Goods Gen 3 Level 3 is in the ballpark. :)
View attachment 1405257View attachment 1405258

The CG Gen 1 Level 3 and Gen 2 Level 3 are more efficient than the Wolfman WR2 1.25 SB, but they are difficult to find and will be more expensive than the CG Gen 3 Level 3.

In my opinion, how effective a razor shaves is a better measure of overall performance. Efficient + Smooth = Effective. The Gen 1 Level 3 is more efficient and darn near as smooth as the Gen 3 Level 3. They are very close in effectiveness. The Gen 2 Level 3 is more efficient but not as smooth as the Gen 3 Level 3 so, to me, the Gen 3 is slightly more effective.

The Wolfman WR2 1.25 SB is efficient and smooth. It is a highly effective razor.

Hope this makes sense. :)
Thanks. It makes sense.

Top Bottom