What's new

Charcoal Goods beat everything in my den

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Have a slight bit of trepidation that it may be too aggressive for me. Perhaps not.

If you start shaving and find it too rough on your skin, just go steep. Super steep with the angle. I had a hard time my first couple of shaves with my first Level 2. Then I was recommended by people on here to go steep. I know that sounds completely opposite of what you would think. But I tried it and it totally smoothed out the shave, and gave me incredible shave results. I have been shaving steep ever since that day with a lot of razors now, and my shaves have gotten both smoother and closer. It doesnt work on every razor, but it has worked really well on many. And now I have 4 Charcoal Goods razors, and they all shave amazing on the steep. Even the Level 3, which I would never have even considered trying before I was converted. I can now get a super smooth BBS with the Level 3, whereas before I probably would have gotten nothing but irritation and weepers. The Level 2 is an amazing razor. Good luck, and enjoy your shave!

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
If you start shaving and find it too rough on your skin, just go steep. Super steep with the angle. I had a hard time my first couple of shaves with my first Level 2. Then I was recommended by people on here to go steep. I know that sounds completely opposite of what you would think. But I tried it and it totally smoothed out the shave, and gave me incredible shave results. I have been shaving steep ever since that day with a lot of razors now, and my shaves have gotten both smoother and closer. It doesnt work on every razor, but it has worked really well on many. And now I have 4 Charcoal Goods razors, and they all shave amazing on the steep. Even the Level 3, which I would never have even considered trying before I was converted. I can now get a super smooth BBS with the Level 3, whereas before I probably would have gotten nothing but irritation and weepers. The Level 2 is an amazing razor. Good luck, and enjoy your shave!

Thanks! I will keep that in mind. I'm sure tomorrow morning's shave will be a bit slower, but that'll be ok.

I got the CG SS Lvl2 with the new handle and I have to say I'm not a fan of the handle. It looks like it has been made in three separate pieces with two end pieces screwed in to the ends of the hollowed out shell that forms the main part of the handle. I don't know how the ends are attached, but the additional seams don't scream quality (to me).

With the new handle now the generic and only CG SS handle and without the artistry of previous designs, does the CG SS Lvl2 really have anything to justify the price or differentiate itself from other similarly priced luxury razors?

My CG lv2 handle is an amazing art piece that is actually better at performance

The Florian Cross handle, 3.5 provides weight and balance

The carved engraving adds balance added weight near head

The handle is one solid piece of ss

Not sure I would enjoy a hollow handle but Brian is a Master of razors and I am sure the new handle is amazing

Anyone else own Florian Cross handle?
proxy.php

JCarr

My new razor came yesterday at noon, Charcoal Goods SS LvL 2, too late to shave with as I only shave in the morning. Although a bit concerned about the aggressiveness of it, I bit the bullet and decided if I'm ever going to find out if I can move up the aggressiveness scale then I'd better go for it. Should never have worried. First time I can actually say a BBS and mean it. I've said before...this is as close to a BBS as I can get...boy was I wrong! This razor can attain a BBS shave! I can only think that it's because of the greater exposure. I read somewhere that the CG LvL 2 is around a .84, have no idea what the veracity of that is, and I'm used to shaving with razors that are .68 or around there. I no longer have to worry about this razor being too aggressive. The shave went fine. After the first stroke I thought...there's no problem here...and simply went about it as if I'd been shaving with it forever. With the exception of the very first swipe, never once did I worry about it taking a chunk out of my face/neck. And for added security I used a very slick soap, B&M Reserve Waves...worked great!

I'll be using it again tomorrow to see if this can be a daily shaver razor.

But, whether it turns out to be a daily driver or just a twice a week razor, Charcoal Goods LvL 2 is a keeper!

Kit 20200820.jpg

My new razor came yesterday at noon, Charcoal Goods SS LvL 2, too late to shave with as I only shave in the morning. Although a bit concerned about the aggressiveness of it, I bit the bullet and decided if I'm ever going to find out if I can move up the aggressiveness scale then I'd better go for it. Should never have worried. First time I can actually say a BBS and mean it. I've said before...this is as close to a BBS as I can get...boy was I wrong! This razor can attain a BBS shave! I can only think that it's because of the greater exposure. I read somewhere that the CG LvL 2 is around a .84, have no idea what the veracity of that is, and I'm used to shaving with razors that are .68 or around there. I no longer have to worry about this razor being too aggressive. The shave went fine. After the first stroke I thought...there's no problem here...and simply went about it as if I'd been shaving with it forever. With the exception of the very first swipe, never once did I worry about it taking a chunk out of my face/neck. And for added security I used a very slick soap, B&M Reserve Waves...worked great!

I'll be using it again tomorrow to see if this can be a daily shaver razor.

But, whether it turns out to be a daily driver or just a twice a week razor, Charcoal Goods LvL 2 is a keeper!

View attachment 1142545
Nice! I'm glad it worked out really well for you, that razor looks awesome.

As collectors there are razors that simply do not work, we've all been there and done that. It's so satisfying when everything clicks into place.

I'm enjoying my CG Everyday tremendously.👍

I read somewhere that the CG LvL 2 is around a .84, have no idea what the veracity of that is, and I'm used to shaving with razors that are .68 or around there.

snip...

I would agree with that comparison. The SS lvl2 is very similar to my .84 GC Jaws. Might be an inexpensive way for someone to benchmark performance/feel before investing in a CG. For reference, I would rate both of these razors a notch above middle of the road for agressiveness.

Too me ss lv2, is the sweet spot

If I want smoother shave samari sharp, I use polsiver/ wizamet

Sharper blades also if I want straight razor shaves

Baby smooth only blades like Gillette platinum or less sharp blades

Lots of functionality

Again love ss for the weight which added to shave, needing little pressure

Soap and lathering also matters as top tier soaps and CG sublime shaves

JCarr

Even better with a Tibam handle. 13x85mm polished brass with stand. It's a nice middle ground between the shorter and lighter CG hammered handle and the very large and heavy stinger handle.

View attachment 1152258

Can you post a link where those handles can be ordered?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Can you post a link where those handles can be ordered?

Thanks for your help in advance.

I placed my order through another wet shaving forum where Tibam is a vendor; however, I believe you can also just message him through Instagram, @tibam76.

Tibam sells handles on eBay. But they a crazy expensive as far as I can tell. More than any Wolfman or Charcoal Goods handle.
More than Wolfman handles, not from what I've bought and seen.

I just purchased two TiBam handles and they were $45 each delivered ($90 total). They took about 3 weeks from start of production to delivery to my home. That is being shipped from Russia during a pandemic. They are light, but for the razor heads I have used them on they are great. You can find Evgenly on the DFS shaving forum as YAZON 87. I believe his Ebay store is temporarily shut down.

I just purchased two TiBam handles and they were $45 each delivered ($90 total). They took about 3 weeks from start of production to delivery to my home. That is being shipped from Russia during a pandemic. They are light, but for the razor heads I have used them on they are great. You can find Evgenly on the DFS shaving forum as YAZON 87. I believe his Ebay store is temporarily shut down.
I like the Tibam too, I've bought several from Russia and currently have three. I enjoy dealing with the fellow that makes them. Yep I'm a fan of them.

As far as the charcoal Goods using a Tibam, if I'm not mistaken it would be best if it was made for that particular razor the way they fit together at the base plate

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I just purchased two TiBam handles and they were $45 each delivered ($90 total).

When I took a look this morning the only handles I saw were $230 each. They look like great handles. I've been seeing them around for a while. Thanks for the info. I will keep my eyes open.

JCarr

As far as the charcoal Goods using a Tibam, if I'm not mistaken it would be best if it was made for that particular razor the way they fit together at the base plate

As an owner of the CG SS LvL2, I can tell you that just buying another handle doesn't always work for the Charcoal Goods head. It has a curvature near the thread post...so...if the top of the aftermarket handle is wide, it may or may not fit into that curvature and seat flush against the head.

Top Bottom