What's new

Charcoal Goods beat everything in my den

Admittedly I haven't scoured all 20 pages, but I've read a lot of bloviating about how spiffy these spendy razors are. Admittedly they're all works of art, but nobody seems to ever mention the actual brand of blades used to get all these too-good-to-be-real quality shaves.

Admittedly I haven't scoured all 20 pages, but I've read a lot of bloviating about how spiffy these spendy razors are. Admittedly they're all works of art, but nobody seems to ever mention the actual brand of blades used to get all these too-good-to-be-real quality shaves.
Why rain on their parade? Some hyperbole to be sure but it's fun to see the excitement. And this is one of the few places they can voice their excitement. For most people, razors do not make the list of exciting things to talk about. Yet we (yourself included) are on a shaving site. Go figure.

Why rain on their parade? Some hyperbole to be sure but it's fun to see the excitement. And this is one of the few places they can voice their excitement. For most people, razors do not make the list of exciting things to talk about. Yet we (yourself included) are on a shaving site. Go figure.
And the question of blades folks use in the upscale razors remains unanswered.

Go back a few pages and I posted Brian's recommendations.

Use you favorite blades, I use a feather, Perma Sharp, Gillette sharp edge but those are my favorite. Now this is what I use in a level three CG razor. Everyone has their particular blade choices so well I like might not be what the next guy likes there's no right or wrong remember, YMMV

I use Gillette platinum, Astra SP, Astra SS, Wizamet SI, I mean these razors aren't really blade specific. My level 2 and level 3 don't seem picky at all.

I'm a big fan of the Astra SP that ships with it, and my regular rotation of blades includes Personna Med Preps, Tiger Platinum, and Feather. I find all those to be sharp enough to manage my wiry bristles.

That said, I personally believe the blade does 100% of the work and the razor is just a tool to hold it without cutting your fingers. But the thing is, I like the way my CG L2 holds the blade...how it limits exposure, the angle it lets me use, and the weight that allows me to limit the pressure I apply to my face. Complementing the practicality is its general craftsmanship. I like the way the razor looks and feels, and I appreciate the fit and finish. It's also cool (to me) to know it was made by one person and that I get to own a piece of his legacy. I'll feel the same about my Wolfman when I finally get it.

I'll also add that I don't subscribe to the "mild blade in an aggressive razor / aggressive blade in a mild razor" philosophy. If a blade won't easily cut my whiskers by itself, it doesn't matte what tool I mount it in.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I'll also add that I don't subscribe to the "mild blade in an aggressive razor / aggressive blade in a mild razor" philosophy. If a blade won't easily cut my whiskers by itself, it

We will, respectfully, have to agree to disagree on this point. :)

From my experience, the razor and blade form a 'system'. I find that certain razors get along better with certain blades.

Just my opinion and YMMV. :)

We will, respectfully, have to agree to disagree on this point. :)

From my experience, the razor and blade form a 'system'. I find that certain razors get along better with certain blades.

Just my opinion and YMMV. :)

I am more than happy to amend my comments with a YMMV and keep to my own lane on this one. And I will respectfully revisit some of my milder blades in the coming weeks. One flavor I’ve developed an appreciation for in my las 52 years is crow, and I’m due another serving. :)

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs

I have been getting amazimg shaves with Sputnik and Perma-sharp lately. Neither one of these blades were even in my top 10 before the CG, but they are both top whisker slayers right now in the CG. So yeah, blades work differently in different razors. My usual go-to blades were not meeting expectations so i started experimenting.

i use Nacets almost exclusively. After trying a bunch of well known brands referenced on this site I found them to be sharp and comfortable regardless of the razor I've used (34c, 37c slant, and Timeless)

My 1st Shave with a Charcoal Goods LvL2 razor. Incredibly smooth and efficient. The CG fits perfectly for my face profile. Not too aggressive and very smooth. Glad I didn’t go for a Lvl3, because I was looking for a daily driver. Result =No drama and a very enjoyable BBS shave. I can’t believe I waited this long. This baby is staying in my den and permanently added to my rotation. I am now a CG fan and love the artisan mastery produced and it shaves as good as it looks.
5D7132FE-715B-4E6C-8050-7087F9B0F724.jpeg

My 1st Shave with a Charcoal Goods LvL2 razor. Incredibly smooth and efficient. The CG fits perfectly for my face profile. Not too aggressive and very smooth. Glad I didn’t go for a Lvl3, because I was looking for a daily driver. Result =No drama and a very enjoyable BBS shave. I can’t believe I waited this long. This baby is staying in my den and permanently added to my rotation. I am now a CG fan and love the artisan mastery produced and it shaves as good as it looks.
View attachment 1135028
Welcome to the club Marius!

I have to agree...I only have a Rex ambassador and Timeless Ss for comparison...Since I put a new finish on the handle she feels So Nimble compared to my others....I do think if my Timeless was titanium it may be equally as good.

Top Bottom