What's new

Charcoal Goods beat everything in my den

I came a little bit late to the party regarding Charcoal Goods especially the SS razor variety was almost sold out, but I managed to get hold of my Charcoal unicorn a SS lev2 with the stinger handle on the secondary market. I was a little concerned about the weight of the SS stinger handle and after a couple of shaves it was clear that it was more like a war club than a shaving instrument but since I love everything about the stinger handle except the weight I decided that it was time to visit the old lathe to see if it was possible to shave some grams out of the stinger handle (see what I did there). My calculations had told me that it should be possible to remove about 30 grams so I went to work and did a job similar to what Wolfman does with his hollow handles. I hollowed out the handle and then I made a new bottom that was press fitted with some loctite.

Here is the weight before I started.
8F5CFD39-CCE5-449A-ACF9-8E531E0FE53F.jpeg

And here is the weight after I was done.
FF56E096-9603-45D7-9CE9-D71020880662.jpeg

Here is the total weight of the razor after the machine job.
BDA0928F-B5DE-453F-BB17-905970B85FB3.jpeg

Here is a picture of the bottom of the razor with the plug installed and you cannot see the seams.
C5EBE16D-D301-4998-A1BD-E5E23E2B560A.jpeg

I managed to get the total weight of the complete razor down to 95.3 grams and now I am super happy with my new razor and I can truly say that Charcoal goods beats everything in my den!

I came a little bit late to the party regarding Charcoal Goods especially the SS razor variety was almost sold out, but I managed to get hold of my Charcoal unicorn a SS lev2 with the stinger handle on the secondary market. I was a little concerned about the weight of the SS stinger handle and after a couple of shaves it was clear that it was more like a war club than a shaving instrument but since I love everything about the stinger handle except the weight I decided that it was time to visit the old lathe to see if it was possible to shave some grams out of the stinger handle (see what I did there). My calculations had told me that it should be possible to remove about 30 grams so I went to work and did a job similar to what Wolfman does with his hollow handles. I hollowed out the handle and then I made a new bottom that was press fitted with some loctite.

View attachment 1125185
View attachment 1125187
View attachment 1125188
Here is a picture of the bottom of the razor with the plug installed and you cannot see the seams.
View attachment 1125193

I managed to get the total weight of the complete razor down to 95.3 grams and now I am super happy with my new razor and I can truly say that Charcoal goods beats everything in my den!
Looks good!

View attachment 1125185
View attachment 1125187
View attachment 1125188
View attachment 1125193

That's probably the rarest stinger handle.
Like a hen's tooth

Thanks for the nice comments.

I also have a SS maze handle and as a big bonus I managed to move the balance point on the stinger handle forward a bit so now both handles have the balance point in the same distance from the razor head.
Removing 35 grams from the handle made a very big difference in how the razor perform. This is of course a YMMV thing and a lot of guys like the original weight of the stinger handle, but for me this is now my ultimate unicorn razor.

Thanks for the nice comments.

I also have a SS maze handle and as a big bonus I managed to move the balance point on the stinger handle forward a bit so now both handles have the balance point in the same distance from the razor head.
Removing 35 grams from the handle made a very big difference in how the razor perform. This is of course a YMMV thing and a lot of guys like the original weight of the stinger handle, but for me this is now my ultimate unicorn razor.
My SS has the new lighter handle. I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but it balances very well. I'm using the copper one with different handles to see which I like best. I have several: hammered, magnum hammered, stinger, Bishop, torpedo, I recently got a brass one and have all the same handles. Minus torpedo. Plus twin helix. I need to get two maze handles one for each. The bishop seems nice. I liked the hammered too. Have not tried the stinger or magnum yet. Working up size wise. Do not like the torpedo. Too long and for me unwieldy

View attachment 1125185
View attachment 1125187
View attachment 1125188
View attachment 1125193

Wow! That is excellent! I agree with everything you said. I’d probably use my SS more if it didn’t weigh a ton.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Shaved with the Brass level 2 with the Stinger this morning. I would rate the shave as a 10 out of 10. A+. Super smooth. I thought the stinger was going to be too big and bulky. But it was great. Used a Perma-Sharp and La Toja. Excellent.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Had my first go with a level 3 today. Wholly smokes that is an efficient shave. It’s 10 hours later and I’m still smooth. It’s a bit much for my sensitive lower neck area. But I have a tough spot around my jaw line that gives me trouble to get perfectly smooth. This thing had it bbs smooth in two passes. Just wow.

C53BE08D-5400-4C75-8404-9B6065255FC2.jpeg

Confession

Been shaving with my ss karve D plate all month
Amazing shaves , but I used my SS CGlv 2, Florian Cross this am , ( has not used CG in a month,forgot how amazing this razor is, more efficient than karve

Bbs, smooth better more efficient
Used polsiver blade, sharp butter
Note about Florian Cross handle,,
While Brian handles are beautiful,,look past the beauty, too the engraved cross on handle
It’s adds weight in balance place on handle and adds weight balance to the shave, we could talk more about the handle alone

Now the head design
While not sure blade gap, angle but this head design is amazing,, I call it the sweet spot, sharp smooth efficient, with some blade feel
It lets me shave adjusting angles

This razor is built like a tank, polished art piece in my razor collection

Cheers

proxy.php

proxy.php

Any of you Gents have a spare LvL2 in Brass, Antique Brass or Copper? Much appreciated. Always wanted to try one in Lvl2, Thanks and Be well.

Top Bottom