What's new

Changing up my DOP kit, advice wanted.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Flying/carry-on and driving mean two different sets of Dopp bag choices.

Driving means larger aftershave bottles, DE razor and blades, of course.

Flying, Bic Metal is the razor choice... Good lather clogs multiblade carts. Bic's single blade does not choke on superlathers. A quick drying 22mm synth brush. Stick soaps are what I travel with, but a puck can also be rubbed on stubble equally well. I greatly prefer an alcohol splash but hotel hand creams always work for an aftershave. 🤔 Last trip I actually bought a bottle of Florida Water on site and left it behind.

AA

I take a BIC disposable, no shaving cream, no brush, no aftershave. I improvise w whatever soap and grooming products I find in the hotel room. It’s no big deal.
Most our "travel" has always been staying with friends.
We also do a lot of camping. Since we exclusively do dispersed camping (no campgrounds), there are not a lot of free sample shampoos in the woods.
We do stay in hotels a few times a year on trips.

I am pretty particular about... everything... life in general. I like what I like.
A big part of that is fragrances and scented items. I am not allergic to any of it. I feel like we live in an overly artificial world. I find it offensive to smell like a chemical. What is the matter with just smelling like a person?
This is just for me though. I don't care what other people do.

Flying/carry-on and driving mean two different sets of Dopp bag choices.

Driving means larger aftershave bottles, DE razor and blades, of course.

Flying, Bic Metal is the razor choice... Good lather clogs multiblade carts. Bic's single blade does not choke on superlathers. A quick drying 22mm synth brush. Stick soaps are what I travel with, but a puck can also be rubbed on stubble equally well. I greatly prefer an alcohol splash but hotel hand creams always work for an aftershave. 🤔 Last trip I actually bought a bottle of Florida Water on site and left it behind.

AA
For me it is the same bag. I keep it pretty compact.
The only difference for air travel is swap my DE for a Trac II or a Guard.

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
A Tabasco bottle can be obtained in tiny sizes. MRE's used to have itty bitty bottles in them. They have the restrictor in them. Might need a syringe or similar to fill them. I have never tried to remove and replace the restrictor in them.

A Tabasco bottle can be obtained in tiny sizes. MRE's used to have itty bitty bottles in them. They have the restrictor in them. Might need a syringe or similar to fill them. I have never tried to remove and replace the restrictor in them.
I tried this for my at home aftershave bottle. Both Tabasco and Tapatio or Chalula. The restrictors are easy enough to get out then back in. I could not get the hot sauce smell out of the restrictor though. I think the really small Tabasco bottles just have a narrow enough opening so as not to need a restrictor?
Either way, do not want glass in my DOP bag for the sake of breakage and mainly weight.

ylekot

I tried this for my at home aftershave bottle. Both Tabasco and Tapatio or Chalula. The restrictors are easy enough to get out then back in. I could not get the hot sauce smell out of the restrictor though. I think the really small Tabasco bottles just have a narrow enough opening so as not to need a restrictor?
Either way, do not want glass in my DOP bag for the sake of breakage and mainly weight.
Fair enough!

That's not to say it is impossible to de-smell the restrictor. I gave up after washing it a couple times. My wife reminded me that with my beat up hands, I drop everything. Between tile floors and the ceramic counter top, I figured maybe glass was a bad choice for me.

ylekot

That's not to say it is impossible to de-smell the restrictor. I gave up after washing it a couple times. My wife reminded me that with my beat up hands, I drop everything. Between tile floors and the ceramic counter top, I figured maybe glass was a bad choice for me.
I hear that! I have a pinched nerve in my neck that causes me to drop things on the regular. Glass and ceramic are a bad choice for me for sure.

OK, just to update. My little tubs... jars... things showed up yesterday.
Here are a couple pictures. I put about 1.5 ounces of Soap Commander Integrity in one. That puts the level just below the threads. Soap Commander Integrity is not my very favorite soap, but it is a really good soap. I chose it because it is easy to pack in another container and unlike some of my "super fatted" soaps, it is easier to clean up the sink and off my gear. The other shot shows them next to a more common sized tub.
I also got some restrictors and solid caps. They work a expected and I anticipate no issues.
20230129_084901.jpg

20230129_085025.jpg

And... just because.
1.5oz soap
2oz aftershave
5 blades
1 razor
1 brushView attachment 1596648View attachment 1596649
Best solution for AS and air travel (change of air pressure) that I found were refillable E-Liquid bottles. I don’t vape so I wasn’t aware of them. They seal excellent, have a childproof cap and a thin spout for easy application.

9A52660A-3AE2-4753-9036-688D5BC24E33.jpeg

This one is 3.4 floz (max. capacity on European flights) but there are lots of other sizes available as well.

Best solution for AS and air travel (change of air pressure) that I found were refillable E-Liquid bottles. I don’t vape so I wasn’t aware of them. They seal excellent, have a childproof cap and a thin spout for easy application.

View attachment 1596726

This one is 3.4 floz (max. capacity on European flights) but there are lots of other sizes available as well.
I will check that out, thanks!

I never use a brush when travelling. Less to carry.
It's always a travel can of Foamy, Barbasol or Edge.
If I fly, it's a Bic disposable in a carry on.
Very common items that won't cause problems with TSA.

If I check a bag (or car trip), then I keep the travel can of foam or gel and bring along an India Gillette Tech and a few blades.

I try to take only items that I can shrug off if forgotten, lost or stolen.

Top Bottom