What's new

Changing out sights on a Marlin 1895SBL

A few years ago I purchased an 1895SBL. It is a fun gun considering it can take (relatively) mild trap door loads all the way up to grizzly stopping bear loads. Seriously, those bear loads are no joke.

One thing I would like to change out are the iron sights. It has XS ghost ring sights on it. These have a fairly large aperture and are made for quick aiming at close ranges with big toothy critters.

There's always that one guy that says large aperture sights should be accurate to 100-150 yards, but I'm going to call a bluff here. I have a SMLE .303 British I can pretty consistently hit a 10" gong at 100 yards with iron sights but I have always struggled with the large aperture.

I know the SBL has a rail for a scope, but I don't want to scope this rifle. I have my grandpa's model 70 for long range if I need it.

Also, I know the .45-70 and levers aren't meant for long range accuracy, but I think any rifle worth its salt should be able to consistently hit a target at 100 yards. I'm not expecting MOA accuracy, but at least being more consistent.

I admit I'm not the most knowledgeable person when it comes to types of iron sights. I guess there are a few to choose from for this rifle because it's based off a 336.

I have been looking at skinner and those seem nice. Or maybe a buckhorn style rear sight? Maybe they make an insert for my existing sight that tightens up the aperture?

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

Attachments

• IMG_20191130_141116678.jpg
    IMG_20191130_141116678.jpg
    923.8 KB · Views: 86
I’m not a big fan of Buckhorn type sights and would much rather a “peep” style sight like Skinner’s.

I just had another thought too, if I change to a smaller aperture will I need to install a thinner front blade as well?

I put a Skinner on my 1894 and wound up having to change the front sight to get the elevation right.
20200412_144517.jpg

I went with the far less expensive Williams WGRS on my 336 and a new front sight was included in the kit I bought. In this case I bought the firesight version for my old eyes.

Last edited:
Williams Firesights are good, as is the Skinner. I like options, so I went with the Ranger Point Precision integrated aperture & rail. Put a Primary Arms red dot on there, with a QD mount. It's fun & fast!:c1:

Im also not proud enough to admit that maybe I'm just a bad shot with this style of sight and need more practice before I start making changes? I have a very large aperture made for close quarters but maybe 100 yards isn't out of the question?

I'm surprised that XS does not sell apertures of different sizes. I would the ghost ring would be fine at 100 yards and in.

Im also not proud enough to admit that maybe I'm just a bad shot with this style of sight and need more practice before I start making changes? I have a very large aperture made for close quarters but maybe 100 yards isn't out of the question?
I have LPA GR sights on my 930 and the Howe CSAT notch and ring dual aperture on a couple of other long guns. I believe XS bought the rights to the CSAT, so if your rear sight assembly can accept the AR style blade, that's an excellent option.

I can make good hits with GRS, IF the front is a precision post or blade. The dot does not work well for me at all.

Skinners are good. Find an early lyman tang sight or one of the newer versions will work. Then you can easily change out apertures for light conditions and what not.

Do not dismiss the 45-70 for long range, I've shot several 200 yard matches with an 1895 and hit every gong.
My Remington #1 is good for 1000 yards, 420grn bullets and 65grns of FFG.

Love the 45-70.

Skinners are good. Find an early lyman tang sight or one of the newer versions will work. Then you can easily change out apertures for light conditions and what not.

Do not dismiss the 45-70 for long range, I've shot several 200 yard matches with an 1895 and hit every gong.

Love the 45-70.

I love the .45-70 too. Back in the day it was a long range caliber, and was considered flat shooting.

I have an original 1873 Springfield trapdoor, and that has a buffington sight on it marked for 2000 or 2200 yards, I can't remember which

Love the 45-70.
I tried a tang sight, a Marbles on my1895 Cowboy. Recoil is so quick and harsh it the sight was eating my hand so it went another way and I ended up with a Skinner sight on it.

I tried a tang sight, a Marbles on my1895 Cowboy. Recoil is so quick and harsh it the sight was eating my hand so it went another way and I ended up with a Skinner sight on it.
They will do that with a tang sight, especially if your running full house loads.

Top Bottom