What's new

changing barbicide

i have a quick question about the shelf life of barbicide. how long do you use the same barbicide before dumping it out? the back of the bottle says change daily buthow long will it actually last for

That is a great question!! I think its recommended daily because its normally used in a barbershop/salon where it sees lots of different combs, scissors, ect. I change mine about once a month, since its only me using it, and I only have a few combs and one pair of scissors in it. Curious what others may say on this...

Last edited:
I think for personal, home use you should change it according to how many things you've used it on, and how clean they were. I honestly don't believe that having it mixed and sitting in a sealed container leads to it degrading in any way. In fact, I make up a large bottle of it mixed with the right amount of distilled water, and pour that into containers as necessary. Once poured and used, I might keep it for a week or more provided everything that goes into it was well cleaned. The large bottle of mixed, unused Barbicide, I will keep indefinitely.

But if I buy a used item off ebay, I clean it well, use Barbicide on it, then throw the Barbicide away.

Edit> Pre-boiled water should be just as safe as distilled for the way I use it.

Last edited:
I think for personal, home use you should change it according to how many things you've used it on, and how clean they were. I honestly don't believe that having it mixed and sitting in a sealed container leads to it degrading in any way. In fact, I make up a large bottle of it mixed with the right amount of distilled water, and pour that into containers as necessary. Once poured and used, I might keep it for a week or more provided everything that goes into it was well cleaned. The large bottle of mixed, unused Barbicide, I will keep indefinitely.

But if I buy a used item off ebay, I clean it well, use Barbicide on it, then throw the Barbicide away.

Edit> Pre-boiled water should be just as safe as distilled for the way I use it.
+1 ... for home use, refreshing it once a week sounds about right. And changing it out immediately after cleaning a (new to you) used razor makes a lot of sense.

I don't know about pre-mixing it, though ... I would leave the Barbicide in the original bottle, and add a capful or so to a pint of water as needed. Takes up less shelf-space that way, and insures that each mix will be fresh. But if pre-mixing works for you, then don't fix it.

for general disinfecting of my brushes and razors,I make a batch in an old kings research barbicide jar about 5% over recommended strength.I keep it one month.This formula disinfects with a chemical combo, and does not rely on high alcohol content,so evaporation weakening the solution is irrelevant.

If you mix it according to the directions, you should have a dark blue solution. Change it when the dark blue color turns to a lighter blue color. The light blue color indicates that the solution has lost its strength in its disinfecting property.

Well, everybody here is pretty much guessing on how often to change out the solution. So this stuff should be posted again. Here's the FAQ, read item #6.
http://www.barbicide.com/EducationCenter/FAQ

And, here is the MSDS on it. Check out the possible hazards of Barbicide at full strength, not diluted. Something to consider if you have children.
http://www.king-research.com/pdf/msds/Barbicide_MSDS.pdf

Personally, I think it's overkill for personal use. The stuff is meant to prevent cross contamination between barber's customers.

Thanks Jon! I am the Education Director for King Research (Barbicide, Clippercide, King Talc)....always happy to answer questions about appropriate and safe use of our products!

Well, everybody here is pretty much guessing on how often to change out the solution. So this stuff should be posted again. Here's the FAQ, read item #6.
http://www.barbicide.com/EducationCenter/FAQ

And, here is the MSDS on it. Check out the possible hazards of Barbicide at full strength, not diluted. Something to consider if you have children.
http://www.king-research.com/pdf/msds/Barbicide_MSDS.pdf

Personally, I think it's overkill for personal use. The stuff is meant to prevent cross contamination between barber's customers.

Thanks!

6- How often should I change the Barbicide® solution in the jar?
Barbicide® should be changed daily in all containers used to submerge combs, brushes, shears, implements—that is all tubs, glass or plastic jars. It should also be changed whenever contaminated or diluted incorrectly.

Top Bottom