What's new

Changing a handle on a Sim Twist

I have a Made in England Gillette Slim Twist that was in rough shape. I managed to get the head out of the handle without ruining the plastic and I sent the head assembly off to be re-nickeled. These were really thinly plated razors judging by how much brassing was on the head in places that get no wear, but it should come back looking better than new.

So then I got looking at the cheesy blue plastic handle - I can't put a nice head on that... thing. So I decided to make a new handle while I wait for the razor to get back.

I was going to use bone, but I couldn't readily find a piece with a large enough wall to make a thick enough handle. So instead, I use a Whitetail deer antler shed. This would be my first time lathing antler and I think it's going exceptionally well.

Step 1: Cut the antler to size, rough out a somewhat round end on a belt sander, chuck it up in the metal lathe (I don't think the hand chisels would cut this stuff well in a wood lathe), centre-drill the other end and start making a cylinder:


Once it's a cylinder the same diameter as the mouth of the old handle, drill out one end to match the interior dimension of the original handle:


Epoxy a piece of horn on the other end and turn it all to the same diameter. I got the horn from an old broken straight razor handle. I also kept the handle beefier than the slim twist handle as I like thinker handles.


Polish the handle to 2000 grit and then cut annular rings into the outside of it to provide a little better grip:


At this point, I re-polished to 200 grit to take any burrs off the grooves and I decided to fill the grooves with black glossy automotive paint to give them a little contrast, kinda like scrimshaw.


Bone and antler are both a little porous, so I may coat this whole think is some sort of polymer based finish to make it all watertight. Still mulling over what to use...

So far though, it's nice and smooth and cool to the touch, unlike plastic. It feels just like bone.
Top Bottom