What's new

Change the blade if it grabs the whiskers - wont slide along smoothly

well it looks like 2-3 shaves.. not 4.. before i have to change the blade. i was too lazy and over-confident to change during the 4th shave and paid the price with neck irritation (and a generally poor shave). i'm annoyed because i was up to 4 bloodless shaves in a row! (up to about my 20th DE shave)

lesson learnt

at least now i will always be clear on what a blunt blade feels like :biggrin:

well it looks like 2-3 shaves.. not 4.. before i have to change the blade. i was too lazy and over-confident to change during the 4th shave and paid the price with neck irritation (and a generally poor shave). i'm annoyed because i was up to 4 bloodless shaves in a row! (up to about my 20th DE shave)

lesson learnt

If you only get 2~3 good shaves from a blade, then that's what you get. Always shave with a blade that's in its prime. I don't recommend trying to eek out extra shaves on blades that are inexpensive to begin with --it's a false economy. Just swap in a fresh blade.

Do NOT try to get 'just one more shave' from a blade as the Shave Gods will be offended and you will be ...punished.

-- John Gehman

If I'm trying a new blade, and it grabs me even then, I'll can it without hesitation. No blade is so expensive that you can't bin it when it performs poorly.

I have never thrown away a new blade. I have changed blades mid-shave several times. Sometimes I only get a sinlge shave before a change because I want a fresh blade on for my Sunday shave... :)

I couldn't agree more, I think many people (new and old shavers alike) push their blades too far. DE are cheap and disposable, one of my primary blades is an IP, I use it for 2 complete shaves, that's it and then I toss the blade, with the low, low prices of DE blades (especially compared to cartridges) I have no idea why people try to push blades so far. Because I know everytime I do that, I end up with razor burn for days. :redface:

I agree, I sometimes have to remind myself why I am doing what I am doing. For me it is the beauty of it all, and the results, oh man are the results worth it. Irritation in any form when I have a choice to change out a blade will not be tolerated. So go ahead and change out that blade at the first sign of trouble.

I pretty much stick to the three shave rule no matter what. Some blades will do more but they vary so much it's easier to go with three. Reduces irritation.

If your first shave isn't that great do you guys go onto another? I've seen that more than a few people on this forum consider the second shave to be better than the first.

lesson learnt

Three shaves is not bad for a DE blade. They're so inexpensive compared to cartridges.

Yup, yup. Getting 2-3 shaves out of a blade isn't bad, particularly with any kind of a beard. At most, I go 4 shaves with a single blade. Hey, the most expensive DE blades are about 50¢ each, compared to Mach (whatever) cartridges which are almost $2.00 each.

for me this is why I like derbys. For some reasons derby will last 3-4 shaves for me but feather only 2-3. Not sure why cause feather starts out sharper you would think it could last longer.

Top Bottom