What's new

Change of tecnique for the better.

Evening all. I have just had a good shave 9/10, and It's been over a week of DE shaving now.
I have abandoned the recommended with grain-side grain-against grain pass method, and doing the shave like I did before when I was Cart Shaving, but with 4 passes and it seems to work better for me, as I have trouble with my left side being right handed, but working on that.
It's all about what works for the individual I suppose? Anyway it was a nice shave with no nicks or irritation, and same smoothness as the regular method.
Getting there thanks to all of You.....:straight:

I’m going to be trying a different approach in a couple of days, my neck is my problem area and grows in crazy directions. Going to try a straight N to S pass and see how we go!
Well done on the decent shave!
Yes, same here......Hair growing in different directions, so I'm using the same formula as my old cartridge shave, but with more passes and obviously no pressure with the blade.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Yes, same here......Hair growing in different directions, so I'm using the same formula as my old cartridge shave, but with more passes and obviously no pressure with the blade.
What ever WORKS! Everyone has a different face. I got into this because I'm cheap, and honestly, I've probably not spent any more money in the 4 years or however long it's been than I would have on carts! Now if I could just stop looking at fragrance selections!

I’m going to be trying a different approach in a couple of days, my neck is my problem area and grows in crazy directions. Going to try a straight N to S pass and see how we go!
Well done on the decent shave!
Mine is crazy to
South below my chin
Diagonal away from chin on bot sides below jawline.
Very bottom 1" on either side grows diagonal up toward my ears very center just grows up.
I go n to s for untire upper part of my neck.( Kinda diagonal to the growth but not exactly)
S to north on lower part kind of in direction of growth not straight north to south but in general diagonal direction.
I did try and go n to s on whole neck but at bottom where it grows up diagonal it was like taking an ATG pass as first pass lol. So I switched to a to n there.
Noone is the same. Don't have to meticulously constantly change direction with all the different growth, for me, just in general direction

I also wanted to add that the very bottom of my beard on my neck is most prone to issues so when I get to my neck I do the bottom 1" or so first. First center where it's straight up, then each side up diagonal toward ear kind of a 45.
That way when I'm doing the top of my neck Incan see where exactly to stop.
That was my worst area right at the bottom.
Especially if wearing a button up shirt and tie.
Hope that helps

Your technique may have to change over time. For many years I did a four-pass shave because the beard particularly on my neck changes direction in so many places. My normal procedure was N to S, ear to nose, nose to ear, and S to N.

As I have gotten older it seems that my skin seems to be thinner. I cut and bruise much easier than when I was young. The result has been that my neck began to suffer from irritation. As a result, a few months ago I changed my routine. I now do the following in the order indicated: N to S, S to N, and ear to nose. I then do some touch-ups only on those parts of my neck where I still feel some stubble. In those places (and there are not that many) all I need to do is to gently go in the direction that is ATG.

Evening all. I have just had a good shave 9/10, and It's been over a week of DE shaving now.
I have abandoned the recommended with grain-side grain-against grain pass method, and doing the shave like I did before when I was Cart Shaving, but with 4 passes and it seems to work better for me, as I have trouble with my left side being right handed, but working on that.
It's all about what works for the individual I suppose? Anyway it was a nice shave with no nicks or irritation, and same smoothness as the regular method.
Getting there thanks to all of You.....:straight:
Firstly - congrats on a great shave! :straight:

As for the rest - whatever works for you, do that. At the end of the day, result is what matters. If it's irritation free and BBS and you enjoy it, it's all that counts!

Top Bottom