What's new

Change of (Bird) Seasons

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
They are the best! Love their one seed at a time approach.

AA
My wife just corrected me- it isn't the tufted titmouses who show up in December and get buzzed on old berries- it's the cedar waxwings. Sorry!

cedar waxwing.jpg

Pine warbler is most likely what my newcomers are... There are subtle distinctions. Fun to see them displacing the usual bully house finches.
AA

Unlikely. Warblers are insectivores. I've never seen any warblers on my feeders. Same deal with kinglets.

Maybe you've got some pine siskins.

I was talking to TLOTH this morning wondering why the suet isn’t getting eaten. She said the starlings were eating it during the summer. Now I don’t see any starlings. I didn’t think that they migrated, so where did they go?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Unlikely. Warblers are insectivores. I've never seen any warblers on my feeders. Same deal with kinglets.

Maybe you've got some pine siskins.

These guys devour sunflower seeds... But look just like those two species! I'll keep trying. It's subtle.

AA

I just saw a large flock of Robins.
If this is our neighborhood flock, they are way early. Denver has been warm and dry and along with 75% of the state in severe drought it makes me wonder what’s going on.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Watching a female cardinal, one of our regulars.

When two Bluejays - mean corvids that they are - tried to push her off the feeder, she calmly stood her ground, cracking sunflower seeds like she was Clint Eastwood.

It was the Jays who backed down.

AA

Watching a female cardinal, one of our regulars.

When two Bluejays - mean corvids that they are - tried to push her off the feeder, she calmly stood her ground, cracking sunflower seeds like she was Clint Eastwood.

It was the Jays who backed down.

AA

The jays heeded the warning sign (Red feathers).
I’m married to a redhead 👩🏻‍🦰.
God knew she needed a warning label so he gave her red hair and freckles.

The large flock of Robins seems to be back. I have seen them four times.
Denver is six inches below normal on moisture and is in extreme drought.
Even so, I hope the birds don’t get caught in a February snow storm.
They can be snarky.

I’m a little East Southeast of Denver by about 500 miles in Tulsa. We’ve been seeing Robins for a few weeks now. Cardinals and Blue Jays never leave during winter. But, I still see Juncos and Chickadees. They usually disappear when warm weather approaches.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
The jays heeded the warning sign (Red feathers).
I’m married to a redhead 👩🏻‍🦰.
God knew she needed a warning label so he gave her red hair and freckles.

Funny and true (lucky man).

The male cardinal usually comes and watches her, but has trouble, seemingly, with landing on the feeders. Perhaps he is just more wary. He eats what falls.

AA

We see Juncos and Chickadees too.
More Juncos this year.
No Cardinals in Denver but we do get Goldfinches.
I remember seeing Cardinals as a kid in Nebraska.
Grandma said they were a sign of blessings on the wing.
Thursday morning I heard the Great Horned Owl up in the big Scotch Pine.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I don't know if it's true but I've been told that robins don't migrate- rather, they go into the woods or nearby forested areas in the winter.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Our migrating crows, which normally arrive in March, are starting to arrive.

🤔 They are extremely wary of our property, since I don't care for their habit of raiding baby bird nests.

Crows are very smart indeed. Let's see what they recall from last year...

On our third block of suet. The woodpeckers, chickadees, and nuthatchers really need it.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Also. I've tried every food, birds are jerks. They only want sunflower seeds!

Millet gets tossed overboard. Attracts rats.

Nyjer? Always seems uneaten.

Mealworms? Yes- it's very cool to see a titmouse grab one and fly, but. Not many else.

Sunflower seeds. They are the measure of activity.

AA

Our crows never migrate. They have been known to throw their chinese takeout containers at me from high on our roof. No joke. They particularly dislike one of my sons, not sure why.

One hummingbird has been continually perching on our back rose, all through the winter, keeping an eye on the neighbor's feeder.

Our cedar waxwings feast on the leftover figs.
3D61DFB9-F343-4351-B855-09592EE2B5B9.jpeg

Also. I've tried every food, birds are jerks. They only want sunflower seeds!

Millet gets tossed overboard. Attracts rats.

Nyjer? Always seems uneaten.

Mealworms? Yes- it's very cool to see a titmouse grab one and fly, but. Not many else.

Sunflower seeds. They are the measure of activity.

AA

Birds are jerks!
The Flicker is back and was drumming for a mate on our roof yesterday.
Last summer there was one drumming on a neighbors satellite dish 📡
Oy!

We had a starling come down our chimney into the house this morning, much to the delight of our two cats!

We were able to rescue the bird and let it back outside.

Top Bottom