What's new

Change is inevitable, but we don't have to be happy about it

I must be an anomaly, I much prefer self check outs. No endless questions about signing up for their credit/rewards card, being put on the spot with charity solicitations, or being told that my choice of breakfast cereal was excellent. Bonus, I can be careful not to drag my 6 pack of socks through a puddle of melted raw chicken juice. The lines are much shorter, it's quicker and I can be sure it's done right.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Why, thank you!
1685391240166.png

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
There are always posts here about change we face in daily life, it's as certain as sunset and sunrise.
Recently, some of those topics have been the size of certain products like candy bars, MWF dropping tallow, and cars being provided without paper copy of an owners manual.
It seems to me that many of these changes occur because the companies producing the product can reduce their cost and increase their profit.
Meaning a decrease in cost but not a decrease in price.
They decrease features, thus cost, without decreasing price rather than increasing pricing to cover the cost of the feature.
I've no issue that a company wants to increase profit, that's why they are in business.
Personally, I would be happy to pay the increased cost involved in getting a full size candy bar, an unreformulated MWF, or a paper copy of an automobile owners manual.
I fear that folks like me are not a majority in a society that wants cheapest cost for their products, and that, in part, is driving some of this.
Would you pay the extra expense to keep some of the features disappearing, or do you think cost is king?
Pay extra!

The pursuit of luxury drives the entire market upwards. When a significant number of consumers are willing to pay, say, $300 for a razor, $300 becomes a reasonable price for a razor, and $200 now looks like a bargain. If $300 is fair and $200 a bargain, the bottom end of the market can increase prices and still sell. The push is up, up, up as a result and everyone pays more.
The solution is to eschew luxury and refuse to buy expensive products.
..or pay luxury price only for luxury items and ignore these luxury wannabes so their price will be pushed down where it should. Be it razor or a car for example.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs

plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose​

I am still hating not having an owner's manual, on a car that will run considerably more than the one it replaced ...

This thread is appropos, Mitch Album's column today speaks to the same - as did mine, his doctor retired. Always something, unless we don't live long enough. Then, of course, its something else

You differentiate between “authentic luxury” and “wannabe luxury”. What is the distinction?
I believe authentic luxury is product made from fine materials with attention to detail with history. It can be seen that someone paid attention. Wannabe luxury is hyped up product nobody known about couple years ago asking for premium price.

Top Bottom