What's new

Chanel Bleu and Cost

I like the Fragrance allot but the price kills me every time. Is there another scent that has the same notes as Bleu with the price tag?

Bleu is defined as an aquatic, and the reviewers over on basenotes.net seem to indicate that it is a rather generic smelling aquatic/ sporty scent. In other words there is little that sets it apart from the 100's of other aquatics on the market.

Thus my first question would be, what other aquatics have you tried?

While likely not a perfect match scent wise, both Cool Water, and Aspen have a similar design to the Bleu De Chanel: mint, and citrus in the opening, a floral middle, and a woody base.

Last edited:
I've had a sample of Bleu and I'd never sort it in an aquatic drawer. More aromatic woody and with some flowers type of scent. Mostly woody I think. If I were you I'd try something from Adidas range. Adidas has a lot of woody stuff. Maybe you find something there.

DSQUARED[sup]2[/sup] is a little step up but still quite generic, also easily obtainable.

Lacoste for Men. I like that one and I believe Lacoste should still be cheaper.

Then there are l'Occitane's woody fragrances. I like all of them especially EDP Cedre.

By all means try to get samples of Nobile 1942 - Pontevecchio and/or Vespri Esperidati. Both woody aromatics, both easy to wear, with greater longevity than Bleu de Chanel and for about half the price.

Off course YMMV.

I've had a sample of Bleu and I'd never sort it in an aquatic drawer. More aromatic woody and with some flowers type of scent. Mostly woody I think.

The two colognes I listed (Cool Water, and Aspen) are not technically aquatics either; they are just mistakenly labeled as such. They are actually aromatic fougeres. I was simply basing my thoughts off of the reviews at Basenotes. I have never actually smelled Bleu De Chanel.

The O.P. will have a lot more territory opened to him, if he is willing to explore fragrances that have a similar composition, rather than being an exact match to a specific scent.

Last edited:
The two colognes I listed (Cool Water, and Aspen) are not technically aquatics either; they are just mistakenly labeled as such They are actually aromatic fougeres. I was simply basing my thoughts off of the reviews at Basenotes. I have never actually smelled Bleu De Chanel.

The O.P. will have a lot more territory opened to him, if he is willing to explore fragrances that have a similar composition, rather than being an exact match to a specific scent.

I never tried Aspen or Cool Water. My bad. From what I've red about them, both are local legends. It's never wrong to recommend something that's generally accepted.
I totally agree with you about the exploring part .
I've sent my sample of DSQUARED[sup]2[/sup] to a B&B member and he liked it a lot. I wasn't that lucky. All I know of it is that it's vibe reminds me of Blue. That's why I wrote the disclaimer.
My biggest problem is that I don't know how accessible some fragrances are in the US. Some of them, as it looks, are very rare. In my eyes it automatically makes them more desirable. I'm a snob in that way. I recommended only those fragrances that are agreeable and accessible here.

Now that I know that Aspen is a an aromatic fougere I'm sure going to look for it.

Bleu is defined as an aquatic, and the reviewers over on basenotes.net seem to indicate that it is a rather generic smelling aquatic/ sporty scent. In other words there is little that sets it apart from the 100's of other aquatics on the market.

I was going to say this (the part about it being generic) but I did not want the OP to take offense because if he likes it, he should wear it.....it obviously does not matter if I like it. I have smelled it and could not tell a lot of difference from dozens of others I have smelled over the years. However, I do not think it is an aquatic......

Cool Water recommendation is a good one. It is far better in my opinion than Chanel Bleau and can be bought for around $30 for a 4.2oz.

Look for frags in the Woody groups for comparison.
Basenotes tends to put frags in the strangest categories.
I don't trust their assessment of most frags.

Kind of a long shot here, but give Calvin Klein's Obsession Night a try. My brother has Bleu de Chanel so I've tried it quite a few times and I own cK Obsession Night and they are vaguely similar in my opinion. Obsession Night is more fruity and "smooth" I guess (probably from the pear and suede), where BdC is a bit more complex and bright to my nose. Who knows, I may be completely off my rocker here. Both fragrances shouldn't be too hard to find at a local mall so give them a side by side and see how it turns out.

Maybe also give Bvlgari Blv a shot? I haven't sampled that one for a bit, though. I may also be crazy on this one.

Best of luck on your search!

Kind of a long shot here, but give Calvin Klein's Obsession Night a try. My brother has Bleu de Chanel so I've tried it quite a few times and I own cK Obsession Night and they are vaguely similar in my opinion. Obsession Night is more fruity and "smooth" I guess (probably from the pear and suede), where BdC is a bit more complex and bright to my nose. Who knows, I may be completely off my rocker here. Both fragrances shouldn't be too hard to find at a local mall so give them a side by side and see how it turns out.

Maybe also give Bvlgari Blv a shot? I haven't sampled that one for a bit, though. I may also be crazy on this one.

Best of luck on your search!

I personally think Obsession Night and Bleu have nothing in common......

I like the Fragrance allot but the price kills me every time. Is there another scent that has the same notes as Bleu with the price tag?

Even though Bleu is a very basic aquatic fougére, IMHO there is no scent that resembles it.
Not if you have a trained nose - my advice is to stick with Chanel Bleu, and get the 150 ml version, this will save you a bit in the long run, because it's only 20% more expensive but you get 50% extra compared to the 100 ml version.

Top Bottom