What's new

Chance to buy a black beauty

I have a chance to buy a short handle, chrome bottom black beauty. Does anyone have any experience with these? How aggressive/mild is the shave? Oh yeah, its adjustable also, I've never owned an adjustable.

Those are well liked ere. If it is in good shape, go for it. To check prices, look at concluded sales on eBay.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Very nice razor. Relatively mild and forgiving.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Thanks! When I turn the adjustment ring, I don't see any noticeable difference or movement in the razor.. Is it just really subtle? Or is possible it needs to be tuned up?

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Thanks! When I turn the adjustment ring, I don't see any noticeable difference or movement in the razor.. Is it just really subtle? Or is possible it needs to be tuned up?
It could be underclocked. It could also be gunked up. It should be a noticeable movement.

Kindly,
Adam

The Gilllette Super Adjustable Black Beauty is one of the finest razors in existence, regardless of category or brand.

As to the setting, I shave at a setting of 6, but I have tough whiskers. If you have softer whiskers you would shave at a lower number, maybe a 3 or a 4. Experiment, but more aggression is not necessarily better. You seek a balance between comfort and shaving efficiency. The movement of the blade is very subtle when you adjust.

Be sure to turn the handle the final 1/4 turn when you tighten the blade. There will be a little resistance for the final 1/4 of the handle that is designed to properly seat and secure the blade.

Go for it!

It needs to be open before changing the dial. The black beauty is an ok razor, but I like the adjustable slim much more. I actually sold mine because of it. That last 1/4 turn applies to the slim, not the black beauty. I think this razor gets a lot of hype because it's color was unique and not necessarily for its performance, some of the later models had plastic heads.

I like the Black Beauty much more than the Slim, and the 1/4 turn does apply the the Black Beauty.

It needs to be open before changing the dial. The black beauty is an ok razor, but I like the adjustable slim much more. I actually sold mine because of it. That last 1/4 turn applies to the slim, not the black beauty.
Brother Mlee, au contraire. I have my Black Beauty in hand and it most definitely does have that last 1/4 turn to properly seat the blade as do all Gillette adjustable razors.

Captain Murphey says Gillette adjustables do not have to be loosened before changing the dial. The instructions do not recommend loosening the doors before adjusting the dial.

However, if the innards of the razor are gunked up, loosening the doors might make it easier to turn the dial.

I picked up a Gillette Long Handle Black Beauty for my wife. She loves the way it shaves. If you can get it working right, it should be a great addition for you.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
First, if you have a Sonic Cleaner (or screwdriver) give it a nice 15-20 minute bath. Then put one drop on oil on the center spindle from the top. Let that soak in then check movement again.

First. The adjuster should look like this:
FchCi.gif

Second, it does no harm to loosen the the knob before adjusting but does no harm not loosening it. It is a user's choice type of thing.

Third, I'm pretty sure the knob should 1/4 turn.

Start off by soaking in hot soapy water. Replace water when it cools.

Brother Mlee, au contraire. I have my Black Beauty in hand and it most definitely does have that last 1/4 turn to properly seat the blade as do all Gillette adjustable razors.

Captain Murphey says Gillette adjustables do not have to be loosened before changing the dial. The instructions do not recommend loosening the doors before adjusting the dial.

Sounds like they made more than one design, mine was the complete opposite as yours.

Thanks for posting that stop motion image! I can see how the adjustment works now. Oh yeah I ended up buying it. Cleaned up nice as well.

However, if the innards of the razor are gunked up, loosening the doors might make it easier to turn the dial.

Then we are in agreement.

Unless I missed something.

Top Bottom