What's new

Challenge PIF - Shave For The Stars

This round was smooth sailing in the krona, the Sharp star was the smoother blade from this round and the last! Both are pretty delightful in the schick, pretty closely matched wonder if the sliver star can outlast the sharp star and make a comeback
DSCF0401.JPG

Shaving log, Stardate: Jan. 25
Silver Star, Blade ?, Shave 1
Razor: Razorock German 37
Soap: Em's Place Woodstock glycerine round
Brush: Semogue boar 1470
Aftershave: Wet Shaving Products Cedarwood

I know this thread is long dormant but I found two old Silver Star blades from this trial, so where else am I going to write about them? My previous experience with the Silver Stars in vintage Gillettes was that they weren't the sharpest blades but they gave close shaves nonetheless. I was curious to try one in a more-aggressive modern slant razor.

First shave went well. I was cautious and did four passes in the mustache but did achieve a near-BBS there. Same with the rest of my face; I had perhaps a brief BBS before stubble started to return on my jawline. Early signs are that this won't be the longest-lasting shave but it was close. Not that much irritation and two weepers that both closed easily without styptic. I'm dialed in now and expect an even better shave for Shave 2.

Shaving log, Stardate: Jan. 25
Silver Star, Blade ?, Shave 2

I had a hunch that this razor would let me skip the first, with-the-grain, pass that hasn't been very efficient and skip right to the across-the-grain pass. Despite using a blade that isn't super sharp, this worked perfectly well. I'm thrilled. My shaves take way too long and cutting a third of the time (well, maybe a quarter, all told) would be huge.

Anyway, I did do an extra pass in the mustache (between XTG&ATG) which is necessary with blades such as this one to minimize the number of cuts I get against the grain. Still got two or three weepers there. The rest of the shave was uneventful, as if the missing first pass had no bearing on the shave.

I stopped the cleanups when I started to get more weepers, even though I could still scare up some stubble when I pulled my skin in certain directions. Despite this, when I rinsed and put on aftershave (hearty burn!) and went about my day my face had recovered to a very near BBS. No need for styptic, just two weepers that wept after the aftershave.

I'm excited about the possibilities of skipping the with-the-grain pass. I imagine the blades will last longer without the extra wear.

Shaving log, Stardate: Jan. 29
Silver Star, Blade ?, Shave 3

Third shave was a little rough. I didn’t attempt to skip the first pass because my beard was longer than usual (hence the previous shave wasn’t that close). Did four passes in the mustache and needed it; got BBS or close to it but had a couple cuts in the smile corners (always the corners!). Any cuts closed before the aftershave.

Serious burn from the aftershave, but that might just be its thing. Had a pleasant cooling on my face as I shoveled snow and now my face is dry and super smooth.

I’m done with this blade, but it did just fine in the slant. Saving the last Silver Star to test Le Maurice razor when it arrives.

Sloppy copy/paste in my last post so I had two Jan. 25 shaves; the second was actually Jan. 27.

I missed out on the ASR manufactured Silver Star Duridium Processed Blades when I signed on for this challenge but stumbled across a tuck at a antique shop outside of zion and still had a sliver star and sharp star.
so starting this back up with old vs new sliver stars first the vintage one are much thicker and less bendy.
With this round I have the vintage in a golden pre krona and the new in a sliver pre krona
They shaved pretty similar I had three days growth and they both were a little plucky on the upper lip with the new blade feeling a touch smoother.
DSCF1522.JPG

Top Bottom