What's new

Challenge PIF - Is Your Best Good Enough?!? - Closed!

Battle 2, Round 5, Shave 22
Tradere SB, Kai, Semogue 620, Canada Shaving Soap

This is another shave where I am inclined to say something to the effect of "there's nothing interesting to say about it", but that fails to express that it was still in fact a great shave, heh. When every element of the shave does it's job exactly as well as you expected it to, commentary is either going to fade away or become excessively repetitive and I hate being repetitive*.

It is also deeply unhelpful when trying to do comparative assessment. I don't have anything to say about either shave that would give either blade the advantage over the other, so for lack of any better reasoning, I'll declare the winner to be the one I can still purchase today.

* It's hard to avoid a certain amount of redundancy when posting shave reports though.. I don't even want to think about how many times I've said "smooth", "comfortable", and/or "efficient". 🤦

The final round of this battle* opens with a delightful performance from the elder blade. I've said it before, I'm sure, but the only complaint I can muster about this blade is that I can't easily get more of them.

*yep, still Battle 3 to get through, so 13 more shaves before I'm done with this thread!

Battle 2, Round 6, Shave 24
RazoRock Lupo 95 OC w/HD handle, Kai, Semogue 620, La Toja shave stick

The Kai had the littlest bit more scratch this round, giving the Polsilver the win. This brings Battle 2 to a tie score of 3 each, and despite what I said in post 740, I don't actually have to pick a winner. They are both excellent blades, and in my razors on my face, neither clearly eclipses the other.

Battle 3 will commence with the King C Gillette blade, and just because I want to, I'm going to make it an all OC showdown.

And here we go, finally starting battle number 3, the all OC showdown! I'm really going to enjoy this one, I expect. I choose King C Gillette as my third challenger because of how ridiculously smooth it's been in my razors, and I've found my OC razors to be my smoother shavers.

As with the prior two battles, the Tradere OC carried the Polsilver in impressive style. I don't normally use the usual acronyms like BBS or DFS, etc, but there is a particular feeling I only find when getting into that upper range of skin smoothness: the feeling of the razor top cap no longer sliding quite as easily across the skin, as the skin is so smooth that it and the smooth steel begin to stick a bit more. This combination has had that all three times now.

Battle 3, Round 1, Shave 26
Tradere OC, King C Gillette, Wee Scot, Stirling Varen, Captain's Choice Bay Rum After Shave

If I have any bias when it comes to Gillette products, it's definitely a negative bias, heh. I got rid of all my vintage Gillette razors as soon as I experienced what a well-designed and well-machined modern stainless razor can bring to the table. I've sworn off most blades that have Gillette parentage. And so on. Which is why it annoys me to admit that I think the King C Gillette blade, in all it's over-priced and wastefully packaged glory, is probably the best performing blade I've ever shaved with. It gives me the best shaves that I can't even feel happening.

That's not hyperbole either. It genuinely feels like there's no blade in my razor when I use it. But I can plainly see in the mirror that the whiskers are being removed. And where you might think a blade that excels in comfort doesn't deliver in the closeness of the cut, nope, it scores tops there too.

It's simply fantastic, and I kind of hate it for that.

I did three passes with the Polsilver so I did the same with the KCG, and when I went for the Captain's Choice, which is typically excellent at revealing the path taken by the blade, this time it just kinda did the gif of John Travolta from Pulp Fiction, looking around confused, not finding anything.

I'll put it plainly, my goal here is to try to find ways to make the Polsilver win over the KCG.. but not this time, KCG takes it.

Battle 3, Round 2, Shave 27
RazoRock Lupo 95 OC w/Barber Pole handle, vintage Polsilver, Wee Scot, Tabac, Captain's Choice Bay Rum After Shave

Forgot to do a picture for this round, if I remember I'll get it next shave.

Started off as an excellent shave, the comfort level was great, as was the effectiveness. But then one of my trouble spots on my neck came up with a rough scrape and a pair of weepers. Neither before nor after did the blade give any indication that it was other than in fine condition, so I must presume that the fault was a slip in my technique.

Been liking the Semogue 620 a lot lately, so I thought I'd try the premium version and got the 830. Glad I did! Love it so far, and can't wait to see how it breaks in.

Also decided to try MWF (tallow) finally. I've read a lot over the years about how to properly lather this soap, but I clearly need some practice. At least now I know for sure what "slick but no cushion" feels like!

Despite that, the blade's performance was still great. Had to take extra care as my failed lather fell apart in third pass, but otherwise no issues.

Battle 3, Round 3, Shave 30
RazoRock Game Changer 68 OC w/HD handle, King C Gillette, Semogue 830, Mitchell's Wool Fat (in a Tabac dish)

A better lather with the fat on this run, but still not quite right. In these adverse conditions, both blade's performed about the same as each other. As a result I'm giving the win to the vintage Polsilver.

A day late posting it, but I was tired. Just spent two days tearing down half my house!

Anyways, the shave was excellent in all the ways. I'm still not entirely sure all the engineering and machining that a slant requires makes much difference over a well-made non-slant, but I will admit this thing shaves very nicely. The blade has once again acquitted itself with grace and style as well.

I have been testing and retesting the blade against the different blades I have, and the blade that I received in the mail was better than the blades I had. I tested against Gillette, derby, astra, and a few others, and they all fell.

Gives a great consistent shave with little to no irritation. Holds its sharpness too. I know I have said it before but this was an awesome gift grundi

Battle 3, Round 4, Shave 32
RazoRock Super Slant L1++ OC w/super knurl handle, King C GIllette, Semogue 830, Saponificio Varesino Tundra Artica

This battle must conclude a couple rounds early, as I dropped the Polsilver while changing blades and it suffered edge damage.

For it's part, the KCG yet again excelled. Smoother and more effective than the Polsilver. It takes the round and thus the battle as well.

No battle, but still had this blade lying around, so gave it a first try today in my newly acquired Rocca R96. Great shave without errors and a smooth result. Will keep using this combination for the upcoming shaves.

full

And today was the 7th and final shave. Last 2 times I used it in the Leaf. Still very pleasant and comfortable, but took a little more strokes today, so time to bin it.

Thanks again for sending these blades over the ocean ;-) Will give the Platinums from the current PIF a spin in the upcoming days.

full

full

Top Bottom