What's new

GIVEAWAY! Challenge PIF - In The Footsteps Of Legends

I apologize for the delay; I ran out of envelopes and needed to restock.

All of the first group of Challenge PIF - In The Footsteps Of Legends packs of blades have been bundled up and will be mailed tomorrow morning on my way into work.

The First Brave Group is comprised of: @FarmerTan, @Demolition, @Themadshaver18, @sarir97, @Wishoot, @Messygoon, @fast shaver, @Lostrazor, @RenoRichard, @BigJ, @cwright, @T Bone, @hairless wonder, @sydbarett, @beepee1972, @Seelector, @Oliviamaynard, @Balthier, @AZBronco, @slimshavy

There are still quite a few blades available to be given out, so don't be bashful about asking!!

I apologize for the delay; I ran out of envelopes and needed to restock.

All of the first group of Challenge PIF - In The Footsteps Of Legends packs of blades have been bundled up and will be mailed tomorrow morning on my way into work.

The First Brave Group is comprised of: @FarmerTan, @Demolition, @Themadshaver18, @sarir97, @Wishoot, @Messygoon, @fast shaver, @Lostrazor, @RenoRichard, @BigJ, @cwright, @T Bone, @hairless wonder, @sydbarett, @beepee1972, @Seelector, @Oliviamaynard, @Balthier, @AZBronco, @slimshavy

There are still quite a few blades available to be given out, so don't be bashful about asking!!
You're awesome, Sir! Thank you.

Feather edge 1 shave1, Wilkinson Sword Classic (plastic) razor, Palmolive stick, Omega S-brush knot in home-made handle

Right, letters have started to go out, and I killed my last Treet Platinum, so I presume I'm okay to get on with the participation phase.

I'm leading with the Feather since I've used the Kai more recently. So I'm using a blade that's effectively unfamiliar, with a soap that only seems to come out for PIFs, and I've been neglecting the Wilky recently too. The only regular in my recent rotations is the brush.

Immediately I start out with a too-dry lather that offers neither protection or glide. Aware of the lather's deficiencies and the blades reputation, I try to use a light hand but still attract a bunch of weepers around the neckline. The second pass seemed to deliver a wetter (and better) lather - I'm not sure how, I didn't add any water - and that was incident-free.

As might be expected, I received a close finish that (weepers notwithstanding) was pretty comfortable too. it was almost five hours ago now and it seems like it might end-up quite long-lasting to boot.

It's a bit early to be drawing any conclusions or making any predictions, but it's great to be underway!

Blade: Feather, shave 1

Razor: Gillette OLD type, thick cap

Proceeded with caution and optimism, as it's been a long time since I've used a Feather. From the first north-south passes I can feel how sharp it is; it doesn't leave anything uncut on the left sideburns (it leaves a little on the right). Better first pass than most.

Second pass, XTG, also goes without incident. Maybe a tiny nick, but pretty decent beard reduction.

Mustache area needs some attention before a true ATG, so I give it a modified ATG/XTG in preparation.

Third pass, ATG, goes pretty well on my cheeks, but that's the best I can say. Many razors give me a tradeoff: keep going to get a close shave even though you'll get cuts OR back off and save your skin but leave a little stubble. Feather is unique in that it manages to cut my skin but leave the hairs. I don't know how it's so selective, but I wish it were selective in the opposite way. Dots of blood in mustache, sides of mustache, soul patch area and under jaw. Stubble remaining on my mustache, some under my jaw. There's a big patch of stubble on my chin, next to a bump, that I missed and will have to touch up with another blade or my beard trimmer attachment.

Skin was tight and shiny initially, now very dry. Through the dryness, little hairs the blade missed reveal themselves, even in simple areas such as lower cheeks. I'm not sure how such a sharp razor misses so much.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Hey @AnimalCatcher ,@Space_Cadet ,and @Grundi !!!

The wonderful gift of blades came to me yesterday, hope to use one or both today/night..... I have no good reason to not shave each side of my face with the same razor each time I shave! Looking forward to it. Thanks Gents, all of the participants as well, as this has turned into one of the coolest features on Badger and Blade, in my less than humble opinion!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Also not in, also subbing for the comparisons, hehe.

Both of these blades are in my permanent supply, so no need to take up a spot in the PIF.
You should compare the blades that you have to each other and post once in awhile! You could give us newbies to these blades a few tips!

I know one thing I won't be doing with a Feather: ATG on the mustache area! (But I rarely do this with ANY blade: I'm not even 10% the man that @rbscebu is! He's either got a face made of shoe leather or Titanium, doggone!

I found the one Kai blade I've used (and it's still going strong, last time I used it!) to be very nice, IF PROPERLY RESPECTED!

To the best of my knowledge, I've NEVER used a Feather, but I am almost certain some kindly gentleman on here sent me one: I'm sure I saw one the other day when I was packing up stuff from the auction...

Sorry for the rambling post, but I actually get paid 1¢ per werd by @KeenDogg ! True story doggone! Seems he has more Dollars than Sense! He invested millions in Floid Blue, and has been selling it in Italy for years now! True story doggone, just ask @Owen Bawn !

@AnimalCatcher ,@Space_Cadet ,and @Grundi - thanks again for this challenge!

First Kai shave:

RR Lupo Aluminum
Kai blade (1)- these blades are unmarked, as was the paper wrapper, but I received an empty Kai tuck with my two blades- in picture
Tabac tallow stick
Simpson Chubby 1 Best
Thayer's Superhazel, then some Tabac EdC, and in a while I'll use some Nivea Face Lotion w/sunscreen

Wow! This Kai is indeed a nice blade, maybe a tad less sharp than Feather, but an excellent, smooth and very close, two and an half pass shave- DFS, maybe DFS+.

I picked the Lupo to start, as it seems lots of members have variations of this DE razor. The Kai did great with this razor, no weepers or irritation and overall my shave was terrific.

On a scale of 1 to 10 (best) for blade attributes, my initial outing was:

Closeness/Sharpness: 9
Smoothness: 9
Longevity: N/A yet

Happy shaving!

PXL_20211123_163209125.jpg

Blade: Feather, shave 1

Razor: Gillette OLD type, thick cap

Proceeded with caution and optimism, as it's been a long time since I've used a Feather. From the first north-south passes I can feel how sharp it is; it doesn't leave anything uncut on the left sideburns (it leaves a little on the right). Better first pass than most.

Second pass, XTG, also goes without incident. Maybe a tiny nick, but pretty decent beard reduction.

Mustache area needs some attention before a true ATG, so I give it a modified ATG/XTG in preparation.

Third pass, ATG, goes pretty well on my cheeks, but that's the best I can say. Many razors give me a tradeoff: keep going to get a close shave even though you'll get cuts OR back off and save your skin but leave a little stubble. Feather is unique in that it manages to cut my skin but leave the hairs. I don't know how it's so selective, but I wish it were selective in the opposite way. Dots of blood in mustache, sides of mustache, soul patch area and under jaw. Stubble remaining on my mustache, some under my jaw. There's a big patch of stubble on my chin, next to a bump, that I missed and will have to touch up with another blade or my beard trimmer attachment.

Skin was tight and shiny initially, now very dry. Through the dryness, little hairs the blade missed reveal themselves, even in simple areas such as lower cheeks. I'm not sure how such a sharp razor misses so much.
Side anecdote here:
I expected I might get some cuts from the Feather, but I thought they would be from shaving. In fact, my first cut was on my finger, from trying to remove the blade from the sea of wax it was stored in. Totally superficial cut, so I can joke about it.
I've heard people complain about wax dots here and I've never really understood. Sure, you get a couple dots, or four, but it doesn't affect the shave or anything else. The Feather was something else. I just could not get it open. I had to resort to tweezers to pry one of the short sides of paper up from the blade. After the shave, I rinsed and patted the blade dry and returned it to its paper; the wax sealed it up like it had never been used.

Top Bottom