Legendary Feather Blade 1, Shave 2
Razor: King C Gillette
Blade: Feather (2)
Brush: Frank Shaving badger
Bowl: Captain’s Choice copper
Soap: Captain’s Choice Nor’Easter
Aftershave: Bootleggers Green Freeze
Scent: Floid Vigoroso

My technique in creating the lather was off today. It was a bit thin. However, I still got a nice, two pass plus touch ups DFS.

02B0C8DE-445B-4CD9-A9B9-0191B97D51B8.jpeg

Kai, Blade 1, Shave 4
Gillette Old Type thick cap
Mostly uneventful first two passes, WTG and XTG, but it was pulling a bit and I got a nick or two, but nothing that worried me much about going ATG, so I did. This blade is done.

I went carefully as I do with a dying blade but it raised bumps as it went, which is both a sign that it’s pulling as it cuts and a hazard if I repeat any strokes. Nicked under the lip in a few spots, but no surprise as I’ve cut myself there every time with this Kai. More surprising were the mustache cuts, because the Kai has shaved well there with some extra passes.

(A few hours later and my mustache area is still angry and scaly.)

I was surprised the extent to which this blade pooped out. By the end of the shave, it just would not cut any closer. I attacked my jawline with all sorts of extra passes, skin stretching, bullfrogging, shallow and steep angles. I figured I would nick or burn myself a bit, but I was fine paying the price for BBS. Well, it didn’t nick me; it just flat out refused to cut hair. It reminded me of pushing some cheaper blades in my Red Tip where I’d just say, well, you did your best and shrug it off.

Round One Recap
Gillette Old Type (thick cap)

Now that I've tested one Feather and one Kai in the same razor, I can compare them head to head. Conveniently, if surprisingly, they both lasted four shaves.

Shave One: Draw
No one likes ties, but these were both bad shaves. Kai left my face a little more mangled, but Feather did its own damage plus left a few more hairs.

Shave Two: Winner: Feather
A bloody battle all around, and a much better shave from both, but Feather takes this one with a lasting smoothness.

Shave Three: Winner: Kai
The Feather shave was a disaster. After I healed, it gave a lasting closeness, but I'd prefer not to butcher my face. Kai was fine. Still cutting me and having razor burn pop up later, but good mustache shave.

Shave Four: Winner: Feather
Surprised me, as I literally pulled the Feather from the recycling to give it (and my technique) another chance. Better shave than the third, but clearly not enough left to use again. The Kai shave I just posted above. It was garbage.

Summary:
I was counting on more from the legendary Kai after hearing tales of its longevity. I entered this challenge expecting Feather to be sharp but short-lived and Kai to be less sharp out of the gate but much sharper for much longer than the Feather. It was the Feather that made it through the fourth shave, however, so I'll reluctantly declare Feather the winner.
I was hoping that either would show enough promise that I could just work on technique with the Old until I had a razor that would cut closer and last longer than my standbys. Knowing now about how the blades shave and degrade, I'm sure I could make the next blade work a little better in the Old. Knowing that neither is likely to get me past four shaves, however, I'm going to put them in a different razor and see how they respond there.
I have some strict rules about what makes an acceptable blade for me. It must:
  • Give me three good shaves
  • Shave close enough to be socially acceptable on shave day and next work day (32 hours, give or take).
  • Cost around $10-12 USD per 100 blades.
Now, neither of these blades could meet the cost requirement. But if one made it to six good shaves, I'd give it a pass, especially if the shave lasted longer other acceptable blades.

Up Next:
I think I'll try the blades in the Super Speed Red Tip. It's a different head geometry than the Old, and it locks me into a very narrow range of angles I can use. The Red Tip doesn't shave as close as I'd like sometimes, but it also keeps me from getting nicked. I'm hoping these pairings will improve the razor and the blades by giving the Red Tip closer shaves but keeping these blades from cutting me.

KAI Blade #1 - Shave #2

Equipment:
Merkur 20C, Legendary KAI (2), CTS Mr. Pepper Soap

The Results: Shave #2 was equal to Shave #1, smooth and close, but still got a small weeper. I'm loving the consistency of KAI blades. I used a bit more soap than I normally do (love, love, love the scent profile of CTS Mr. Pepper) and was rewarded with thick and slick lather. I also snuck in a quick back of my neck pass, which was uneventful (yet still smooth and close).

Shave #2: Slight edge goes to the KAI, more specifically, because of the consistency. The Feather took a shave or two to hit it's stride.

Kai #1, shave #3
2 days growth
Preshave: shower
Cream: Cremo
Razor: Henson AL-13
Aftershave: alum, Nivea sensitive balm

First shave left a lot more stubble than I usually accept, but I didn't have time to clean it up. Second shave was super-close, but I had a lot of irritation.

This one was not the best of both worlds unfortunately, but at least it wasn't the worst either, just sort of in between. I almost didn't do an ATG pass due to the irritation last time, but changed my mind and went ahead with it. Despite the short, careful strokes, I had a few small weepers as usual, 1 of which required a second try with the alum for some reason. No feedback on the left, mild on the right, mild-medium on the neck, youch! on the mustache and chin. I didn't do much clean-up, but feeling it an hour later, I wish I'd done a bit more - there's some short stubble under the jawline and next to the adam's apple, more on the right than the left. All in all though, a pretty good result.

Now I'm in the uncomfortable position of deciding what to do next. To this point, I've given blades 3 shaves then into the recycle bank they go. I don't trust myself yet to detect when a blade is on its last leg, so 3 shaves seemed a reasonable minimum expectation. At least I have a couple days to figure it out.

On a cold, dark and windy Swiss day, Hermes, the Messenger of the Gods, crossed the Atlantic and delivered the Legendary Blades to my door. With excitement mixed with fear I opened the envelope and asked the mighty Thor to give the me the courage to try the blades. ( I know, I am mixing mythologies here...).
With the same fear I had the first time I tried R41 on a Derby Green blade, I approached my first shave ever with a Feather:

Legendary Feather Blade 1, Shave 1
Razor: Mühle R89
Blade: Feather (1)
Pre Shave: Few drops of pure unscented almond oil
Brush: Yaqi Rainbow
Soap: Red Cella
Balm: Proraso White
Aftershave: Pitralon

Well...the Feather blade managed to transform the normally quiet-as-a-lamb R89 into a Wolf.
I did the canonical three passes (WTG, XTG and ATG) with minimal pressure and great attention.
To my surprise the shave was irritation free and I really enjoy now a BBS like no others.

A big thank you to @Grundi for giving us the opportunity to try the blades.

Now I'm in the uncomfortable position of deciding what to do next. To this point, I've given blades 3 shaves then into the recycle bank they go. I don't trust myself yet to detect when a blade is on its last leg, so 3 shaves seemed a reasonable minimum expectation. At least I have a couple days to figure it out.
I'm betting you'd be able to tell. You now know how the blade felt on the first several shaves, likely noticing that it felt different and possibly better on the second shave. If you went for shave number four and felt a lot of tugging/scraping then you can reasonably assume it's done.

On a cold, dark and windy Swiss day, Hermes, the Messenger of the Gods, crossed the Atlantic and delivered the Legendary Blades to my door. With excitement mixed with fear I opened the envelope and asked the mighty Thor to give the me the courage to try the blades. ( I know, I am mixing mythologies here...).
With the same fear I had the first time I tried R41 on a Derby Green blade, I approached my first shave ever with a Feather:
Mixed or not, I found this very entertaining and now insist that all of your future reports include reference to mythology. 😁

proxy.php

First shave with the Mysterous Kai Stainless blade #1

Razor
: Fatip Lo Storto Originale (aka FOCS)
Brush: Yaqi Blue Marble 26mm Timber Wolf
Soap: RazoRock Santa Maria del Fiore

An above-average outing, today, but the best is yet to come. (I hope.)

Like yesterday's Feather blade, the Kai has started off with a mixed performance. The WTG and XTG passes were slightly tuggy. This is similar to what I experienced with the Feather. However, unlike the Feather, there was no discomfort and both passes were completed without further issue.

The ATG pass was surprisingly good. Efficiency and comfort level were both high. Referring back to my notes from the earlier Mysterious KAI Blades Participation PIF, the first two Kai blades that I tested started off similarly, so this seems to be a common trait amongst Kais, in general.

As some may recall, one of those blades managed to last for 63 shaves, most of which were very good or excellent. Therefore, if this blade follows the same pattern, I should expect consistent performances and good longevity.

Lastly, I have to comment (for the zillionth time) on the appearance of the Kai blades. The non-descript wrapper and completely unmarked blade give off a slight air of cheapness, but this is misleading. The Japanese don't go in for a lot of ostentation; simple and functional is the concept that Kai is trying to evoke.

Although, I wouldn't mind if they coated their blades. With typical usage (maybe 4-5 uses), the blades' appearance isn't affected. But if you get into the high double-digits like I did, then these blades get blotchy and turn all sorts of weird colours. I'm starting to wonder if this is intentional on Kai's part. It's like the razor blade equivalent of raku pottery with all the soot (corrosion), surface etching, and discolouration! 😁

Somehow Canada Post got these to you in flooded BC before I received mine in London Ontario! This waiting is killing me...

I hate to say it, but you may have a long wait. During the Modern vs. Vintage Astra SS Challenge, another Ontarian (@SharpieB) waited 55 days for his blades to arrive... which is mind-boggling because you guys are practically within shouting distance of Maine.

The longest that I had to wait for a package from @Grundi was only (only :rolleyes:) 49 days. As I recall, he put the envelope in the mail in late-Winter and they arrived in mid-Spring!

But the point is that they eventually got (t)here. So don't give up hope; these blades are worth the wait.

First night using the Feather blade in my Goodfella Smile slant. Unlike the Kai blade, the Feather blade just began clearing stubble right away with great efficiency. It could be that I remembered the proper angle from the Kai shave last night, but WTG pass was effortless. ATG pass was so efficient that there was little to shave after that pass and so I ended up doing minimal touch up to get another BBS. Definitely efficiency goes to the Feather blade after one shave,

Tomorrow night, the Kai blade is already loaded in my AS-D2. I know, it is kind of like a Chevy race engine loaded in a Ford racing car to be tested on a Ford designed track, but one must test these blades with razors having different characteristics, and the AS-D2 is known to be a very mild but efficient shaver.

Kai- Second Use

Shaved again today. I simply turned the once-used Kai blade around in the razor and ripped away at 5 days worth of growth.

Kai blade - SECOND USE
Fatboy set at 7
Trafalgar T2
Tabac soap (new version. Really pretty good IMO. But that's a discussion for another day)
Tabac AS
Hyaluronic acid

Result:
No blade bounce on any pass. The second use of the Kai blade seemed to yield an even better shave than the first.

When I shave again in a few days, I'll once again reverse the blade and see how it performs on it's third use.
IMG_0914.jpg

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
Feather shave#2
IMG_20211130_114634.jpg

Razor: Rockwell 6C R5
Blade: Feather
Soap: SV Opuntia
Brush: Yaqi Purple Haze

The second shave with a Feather was always the best. SV is one of the finest most lubricating soaps I possess and should have sorted out any irritation and given a fantastic post shave. The first WTG pass started out well, there was less blade feel than with the KCG so it seemed to solve the irritation problem from the first shave. The second XTG pass was where it started to break down, I found it a little tuggy on the neck, although it didn't leave me with any irritation. The third ATG pass was better and it didn't tug. After washing off though the post shave, although not strictly irritation just wasn't as good as it normally is, although I didn't need to apply Witch hazel, but the moisturizer managed to cool it down, I hope my third shave with this blade is better.

Feather Blade - Shave #1

Equipment:
WSC Winning, Legendary Feather , NO Night Before, LJS/Maggard 24mm SHD

The Results: DFS+ after 3 passes with very little buffing, smooth and close, with no irritation. Since Feathers typically improve after the first shave, I can't wait for the next one.

Thu 2nd SOTD Feather vs KAI Challenge Rd 3
Feather Blade #1 Shave #3 with the RazoRock GC.84 SB
Soap The Goodfellas Smile Abysso
Brush Yaqi 24mm Heavy Long Metal Tuxedo
Razor RR GC.84 SB with Yaqi Razzo Rocket Handle
Blade Feather Hi-Stainless 3rd Use
Aftershaves Stirling Witchhazel MitA + TGS Abysso Splash
A very nice soap! Love the scent especially with the matching AS plus the lather was creamy and slick too!
This shave with the razor paired with this blade was noticeably a tad less smooth and less sharp...as compared to 1st use. Still good enough in 3passes for a bbs/dfs finish. Aftershaves were just awesome.
20211202_103900.jpg

Blade: Feather #1 shave 4
Razor: Blue Merkur 38c
Brush: Turn 'n shave Ghost
Soap: Blue mood indigo
Aftershave: Stirling Creamy Coconut
Blade has definitely slowed down and it feels slightly safer because so, but needed quite a bit more buffing. A decent shave, but still prefer shave #1 on feathers. I usually shave every other day or two, maybe they would last longer if I didn't have thicker stubble.

The blades arrived in the Netherlands yesterday, so today was my first day trying them out. What I intend to do is use both blades one after the other in the same razor, using the same soap. Goal is at least 3 shaves with a blade, that is what I'd like to achieve with every blade I use. For the second blade, I will switch razor, not soap.

Kai blade 1, shave #1
Gillette Tech ball end, 1962
Grated Speick stick
Omega boar brush 10049
2 passes (with touch ups if needed)

The Kia blade doesn't have any marking on it, that's a first for me. When placing the blade in the razor, I do notice that I am not able to turn the handle on the head as far as with other blades, this seems to me is because the blade is somewhat thicker?

Anyway, very fine shave, the Old spice aftershave hardly had any sting. What I did notice, is that you feel and hear the blade a lot more than what I am used to, while still being comfortable as other blades. The end result was fine, nothing spectacular, but a DFS in 2 passes with hardly any touch ups.

proxy.php

Top Bottom