Blade: Feather (1)
Brush: Zenith aluminum boar, 27mm
Soap: Haslinger Schafmilch
Pre-Shave: Hot shower only
Aftershave: Nivea Cooling
Growth: 24 hours
Passes: WTG, ATG, cleanup
Rating: 9/10

Before today, I’ve only used a Feather blade in a Feather AS-D2 razor. This time, I loaded it into my most forgiving razor. None of the audible feedback or tugging from the Kai. On the WTG pass, I went too fast, and bumped over my jawline. No immediate weeper, no pain. But after finishing, while dressing, I noticed the weeper. So sharp, I just didn’t feel it. Alum closed the wound.

By comparison, shave #1 for the Kai was noisy but more close, yet shave #1 for the Feather was whisper quiet but not quite as close. Can’t wait to see how the #2 Feather shave compares.

0C77FFEF-9276-4553-BA4F-4E65D668AB27.jpeg

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
First a word about this challenge I used the Kai earlier this year and found it to be an excellent blade, but it died suddenly on shave#14. The Feather has never been my favourite blade. I used them early on in my shaving career, but found they only lasted 3 shaves (the first and last weren't great) so the blades have sat in my collection gathering dust and this is an excuse to use 1 or 2.
I will approach this as a comparison, I will use the blades on alternate days using the same gear for each blade.
IMG_20211128_220711.jpg

Kai shave#1

Razor: King C Gillette
Blade: Kai
Soap: Cella
Brush: Evil Zebra

Tonight I started with the KCG because after following @Demolition in the Polsilver Unobtainium challenge I tested the Gillette Platinum blade following some of his suggestions I found using my milder razors with the sharper blades extended blade life and still have excellent comfortable shaves (It currently has 25 shaves on it).
Tonight's shave was comfortable and unlike my first shave with a Kai I barely felt how sharp it was. The first pass was buttery smooth and it barely felt like there was a blade in it at all. The second pass was the same, but after feeling my face I barely needed the third pass, but I did it anyway because I enjoy it.
The result was an easy BBS which is something the Kai is good at.

Tomorrow first time in years with a Feather.

Mon 29 KAI Blade #1 Shave #1
The result for round 1 with the EJ DE89L was for the Feather for a slight edge in efficiency!
Soap
Catie's Bubbles Le Piment De La Vie
Brush Yaqi 24mm Arctic Sky Deep Blue
Razor Edwin Jagger DE89L
Blade KAI Stainless Steel 1st Use
Aftershaves Stirling Witchhazel MitA + Aqua Velva Ice Blue
A nice soap with a uniquely pleasant scent. The lather is very good too, creamy and slick!
This shave with my 1st DE razor paired with the blade was very good. Crisply sharp yet very smooth and comfortable. Managed 3passes for a mostly bbs result. In comparison to my last shave using the Feather, it has a slight edge over the KAI for better efficiency, ymmv... Aftershaves were good.
20211129_090817.jpg

Shave 3, Kai (1)
Tradere OC, Omega 10086, Tabac

This is my favorite razor and blade combination, my go to. For a good time, I call them, and they always deliver. Sometimes I think that the only reason I ever buy other blades is so that Kai has something to look down on (and maybe something about variety and/or spices).

For comparison's sake, I kept my technique the same for this shave as with my first Feather shave, a very light touch, two passes (WTG & XTG) plus some minor touch-ups.

Where Feather comes out of tuck so eager that extra care is needed on the first shave, Kai comes out with the quiet confidence of an artisan who's here to get the job done right.

The Feather may be sharper, but the Kai is buttery smooth while keeping the shave efficient and near effortless. Maybe it has something to with the minuscule amount of extra blade width of on the Kai.. I don't know. But it definitely works for me.

Also, as silly as this is, I dearly love the fact that they don't put wax spots on their blades.

Kai, Blade 1, Shave 2
Gillette Old Type thick cap

I studied this blade in my Old and tried to get a sense for how the edge tapers. Looking at the cap, the blade and the angle of the combs, it just made sense to ride the cap. I haven’t shaved shallow very often, so it’s an adjustment, but this blade seemed to be begging for it.
(Also credit to user @Yuritau for the encouragement!)
I stayed with it and got a BBS shave this time. Fewer nicks but the nicks bled more. Much better shave this time, both in results and process. Not a good shave, mind, but I’m pleased to be learning blade-specific technique, so maybe I’ll get there. Below my lip is a tricky spot for this blade; the techniques I use to get close there don’t work with the Kai.

Feather shave #4:

Monday 11/29, three passes, no weepers, but a tad of irritation on my chin:

Pre-shave: shower
Razor: Maxwell June twinned DE
Blade: Feather (4)- the blade was switched in into the MJ to see if I could get another shave or two from it
Soap/Cream: Proraso Red
Brush: Omega Pro boar
Post-shave: cool rinse, alum- a little sting, then Brookstone Sandalwood ASB

In the Maxwell June the Feather blade felt less sharp again, and a little less smooth as well- but the shave was a solid DFS+.

On a scale of 1 to 10 (best) for blade attributes, today's outing was:
Closeness/Sharpness: 8+
Smoothness: 9-
Longevity: blade is holding up well even after being cleaned and loaded into the Maxwell June. 12 full passes, plus some serious clean up is more than I had expected from the Feather.

On the first go for each blade in this challenge, the Feather edged out the Kai by a nose hair. I think I'll wait a week, or so, to get a fresh start on the second challenge blades. Also, I have some other new blades to try out that arrived in the last few days.

Happy shaves!

PXL_20211129_153440472.jpg

Feather Blade #1 - Shave #6

Equipment:
Merkur 20C, Legendary Feather (6), WCS Duck Fat Soap Cologne

The Results: This downy Feather from the back of a Radioactive Kaiju is done after 6 shaves. Shave #6 was ok, not stellar, with some tugging on the WTG pass and leaving some stubble behind that required clean up buffing. I think I'm tracking similar to @fast shaver. WCS Duck Fat Soap is from a sampler of 6 different scents and performs wonderfully (the only challenge with this soap is getting one-shave's-worth-chunk out of the sample container and smooshed into my lather bowl; other than that, it lathers nicely, provides good slick and protection).

Overall: 6 shaves is decent for me from any blade. Shave #3 was the best, very nice, with shaves #2 and #4 being excellent, also. I have not complaints about Feather Blades, and this Challenge reminds me of why I hold this blade to be a top-shelf entry.

Up Next: switching over to the Legendary KAI Blade

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
Feather blade 1, shave 2

Razor: Rockwell 6S, #4 plate
Blade: Feather (2)
Brush: Zenith aluminum boar, 27mm
Soap: Haslinger Schafmilch
Pre-Shave: Hot shower only
Aftershave: Nivea Cooling
Growth: 24 hours
Passes: WTG, ATG, cleanup
Rating: 9/10

Shave #2 with this blade went better. I slightly adjusted WTG technique by progressing vertically, from cheek to neck, a row at a time. This change slowed me down to a safe speed. Result was a smooth shave with no weepers. Through the first four shaves, I prefer the Feather over the Kai. Next step is to introduce new variables (soap, preshave, aftershave, dry shave… big nope on that last one). This is a very fun exercise!

18318F93-C7F4-420F-B5D5-C57B311F2D0D.jpeg

Kai #1, shave #2
2 days growth
Preshave: shower
Cream: Cremo
Razor: Henson AL-13
Aftershave: alum, Nivea sensitive balm

First shave I was slightly rushed so I had several rough areas after, but only a couple of weepers.

3 passes again today. Got a small weeper on the left corner of the 'stache going XTG, a warning from Kai to tread carefully. ATG, tread carefully I did, though I managed a couple more weepers in the mustache and soul patch. One, to the left of the soul patch, I thought might require some Proraso ripatore gel, but it and the others were all closed up even before the alum. I got the feedback you'd expect from rubbing alum over the mustache and soul patch with several weepers, and a neck that required a lot of touch-up - youch!!! - but not much at all on the cheeks, so I managed to keep a light touch there at least.

Running my hands over my face a half-hour later, some significant irritation in the aforementioned areas, but just the slightest bit of stubble in a couple of very small areas. Given a little more than on the first shave, I'd say Kai did a pretty fantastic job today!

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
Feather shave#1
IMG_20211129_134436.jpg

Razor: King C Gillette
Blade: Feather
Soap: Cella
Brush: Yaqi Evil Zebra

The Feather is a blade I desperately want to like, many would not look at another blade. One of the reasons for starting this challenge is that I wanted to give the Feather another chance. When I started shaving I got 3 shaves out of one (even when I was getting 6-7 from an Astra SP) I hope this may address this. Using the same equipment as I did with the Kai will allow me to compare the two.
There was definitely more blade feel than with the Kai. The first WTG pass was better than I expected and I didn't have any problems. Pass number two XTG also seemed to be uneventful, until I washed my face off and found the finish was no where near as smooth as with the Kai. The ATG pass showed up a few problems because once I was finished I found the finish was nowhere near a BBS, maybe a DFS so I re-lathered my neck to buff it a bit and whilst shaving I found I was left with a patch of irritation on my neck, enough that I had to use the witch hazel.
The first shave with a Feather was never very good so I hope the next one is better

Tue 30 Feather vs Kai Challenge (Round 1 with EJ-DE89L-Feather won by a few whiskers)
Start Round 2 with Karve Brass SB-D
Soap
B&M The Full Measure of Man
Brush Yaqi 26mm Moka Express 2 Band Badger
Razor Karve Brass SB-D
Blade Feather Hi-Stainless 2nd Use
Aftershaves Stirling Witchhazel Orange Chill + B&M TFMOM Balm
An epic scent from the soap and further enhanced by the balm. The lather was creamy and slick.
I have never used this fav razor and fav blade combination before...until today and wow!! Super crisp, silky smooth, and very comfortable in 3passes for a dolphin smooth finish. Awesome pairing! Aftershaves were lasting and great!
20211130_082618.jpg

Blade: Feather #1 shave 3
Razor: Blue Merkur 38c
Brush: Turn 'n shave Ghost
Soap: Southern Witchcrafts Gravefruit II
Aftershave: Stirling Strawberry Lemonade
Blade has definitely slowed down so it's confirmed for me shave #1 is best. Maybe i'll take it for one or two more shaves. It feels more similar to other sharp blades that aren't as smooth to me.

KAI Blade #1 - Shave #1

Equipment:
Merkur 20C, Legendary KAI (1), WCS Duck Fat Soap Cologne

The Results: Shave #1 was excellent, except for a small weeper. This blade is definitely sharp and gave me a DFS+ shave. I used slightly more WCS Duck Fat Soap than normal and the performance was very nice, slick, and provided a good cushion. There was definitely more blade feel, even in the mild Merkur 20C; however, there was no irritation (but I did have a weeper in the usual spot).

Shave #1: Shave #1 goes to the KAI. Out of the wrapper, it was ready, but the Feather took a shave to get going.

Being A Bit Critical: for the Challenge, I'm trying to notice differences, but, truth be told, both of these blades, for me, are excellent blades.

Kai, Blade 1, Shave 3
Gillette Old Type thick cap

I stuck with the shallow angle the whole shave and had pleasant results for the first two passes. It didn’t look like there was an unreasonable amount left, so I went for the ATG pass. It seemed to do OK, but then there were several nicks. Again, they bled longer than ones from other blades.

It’s funny how different blades have different parts of my face where they shine or struggle. Kai has given me great mustache shaves (I do four passes plus cleanup and buffing without irritation) but trips up in the rough patch under my lip. Milder blades might do the opposite.

An hour post shave and I’m feeling some more burn come on. I’m counting on this blade lasting a long time, so this is too early for this kind of behavior.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Feather blade 1, shave 2

Razor: Rotbart Mond-Extra RFB
Blade: Feather (2)
Brush: One of a Kind Wolf Whiskers Tuxedo
Soap & Splash: The Club Black Birch Stout

Today's shave featured a razor that is so smooth, you question whether there is a blade installed. However, just like my prior experience... shave 2 on this Feather left me with a ton of small weepers. This blade has never really worked well for me. And it is not deviating course now. I joined this challenge because it featured two of my worst blades. And I wanted to give them both another shot. This Feather is going in the bin after two rough shaves. The Kai is typically an even worse performer for me. We will see how it goes....

2021-11-30 10.17.40.jpg

Top Bottom