GIVEAWAY! Challenge PIF - In The Footsteps Of Legends

IMG_0038_1200x893.jpg

Thirty-ninth shave with the Mysterous Kai Stainless blade #1

Razor
: Fatip Lo Storto Originale (aka FOCS)
Brush: Omega 10005 Boar
Soap: RazoRock Black Label

Another quick, trouble-free shave.

It was a lovely, warm, sunny day here, so I decided to perform some late-winter pruning of my fig and persimmon trees. Then, after a quick shower, I had a very relaxing mid-afternoon shave.

I was able to forgo any buffing or touchups since I don't have to go anywhere and look presentable. Just my three usual passes, so my shave went by fairly swiftly. The result was a nice, easy DFS with no post-shave irritation.

Meanwhile, the Omega 10005/RR Black Label combo did a fine job of stirring up a satisfyingly slick lather. A classic fougère is my favourite shaving soap scent and Black Label capably hits the spot. :thumbup1:

IMG_0039_1200x856.jpg

Fortieth shave with the Mysterous Kai Stainless blade #1

Razor
Brush: Yaqi Aqua 24mm Tuxedo
Soap: Tabac Shaving Soap (Non-Tallow)

Still performing well after forty complete shaves. :thumbup1:

After a short period of inconsistency, the Kai blade has settled into a steady rhythm of comfortable, trouble-free shaves. Each of its last six outings has been smooth and close with no post-shave irritation.

This is both surprising and gratifying, considering that I had thought that this blade was worn out long ago. So, there's nothing left to do but keep going until it finally bites the dust. At this rate, that could be a while!

On a side note, the Yaqi Aqua Tuxedo/Tabac (Non-Tallow) combined to provide a very slick, cushiony lather. I've been using the non-tallow Tabac for five months and I can say with certainty that the results are on par with the tallow formula. Therefore, now that the tallow formula is mostly unavailable, I can be reassured that these great Tabac performances will continue unabated.

4272E768-2794-4E2A-B2AB-C14BEF3EA3C4.jpeg

With the same razor, brush, and aftershave and only 2 sticks and a cream that I rotate, I had to change the pic somehow to keep them from becoming too redundant. 🙃 Anyway...

Kai #2, shave #4
2 days growth
Preshave: shower
Brush: PAA Starcraft (24mm synthetic)
Cream: Speick
Razor: Henson Al-13
Aftershave: alum, Nivea sensitive balm

Another frustrating outing. Not terrible, just frustrating. The Kai did what it does exceptionally well, which is cut - mostly whiskers, some face. Unfortunately, I really like a smooth shave and want to get as close to BBS as possible. I keep hoping my technique will catch up to what I'm trying to accomplish, but 6 months in, and it still hasn't. But I digress; this is about the Kai.

A couple of weepers on the third pass on the mustache, a few more on the neck cleaning up. Very smooth most places, a bit rough still here and there, the right side of the neck being the biggest offender. Not too different from the first 3 shaves, really - just change the soap/cream used and the area missed. But no tugging detected, so we do it again on Saturday.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
View attachment 1404067
With the same razor, brush, and aftershave and only 2 sticks and a cream that I rotate, I had to change the pic somehow to keep them from becoming too redundant. 🙃 Anyway...

Kai #2, shave #4
2 days growth
Cream: Speick

Another frustrating outing. Not terrible, just frustrating. The Kai did what it does exceptionally well, which is cut - mostly whiskers, some face. Unfortunately, I really like a smooth shave and want to get as close to BBS as possible. I keep hoping my technique will catch up to what I'm trying to accomplish, but 6 months in, and it still hasn't. But I digress; this is about the Kai.

A couple of weepers on the third pass on the mustache, a few more on the neck cleaning up. Very smooth most places, a bit rough still here and there, the right side of the neck being the biggest offender. Not too different from the first 3 shaves, really - just change the soap/cream used and the area missed. But no tugging detected, so we do it again on Saturday.
Please forgive me if this has already been covered....but have you tried a Kai blade in a Gillette Ball End razor yet? Or one of the cheap Chinese knock-offs?

Makes it a much more manageable blade in my proud opinion.

No, my only DE razor as of now is the Henson.
My first DE razor is still my go-to razor (Merkur 20C). I've collected a bunch over time but still compare them to my first. @Demolition tempted me to get a Fatip - FOCS because of the absolutely mind-blowing longevity and performance (and I gave in and snagged a Fatip FCCS - closed comb - and had excellent results). I have tremors that flare up from time to time so I'm back to my first love, the Merkur, so forgiving even when I wander.

IMG_0040_1176x900.jpg

Forty-first shave with the Mysterous Kai Stainless blade #1

Razor
Brush: Fine Accoutrements Classic 20mm Angel Hair
Soap: RazoRock Green Label

A nice, close shave with no drama.

Today's outing was quick and trouble-free, once again. My three routine passes were all smooth and the comfort level remains very high. I had no need to chase a full BBS, today, so I only needed a few buffing strokes in my usual trouble spot on the left side of my face and ended up with a straightforward DFS.

Now that this blade's wear rate has stabilized again, I feel confident that I can keep using it for at least another half-dozen shaves. We'll see how that goes! 😁

My first DE razor is still my go-to razor (Merkur 20C). I've collected a bunch over time but still compare them to my first.
I don't see myself ever having a collection, but I do want to eventually get a nice high-end razor, and I don't want to spend high-end razor money without being confident that I can get a DFS/BBS out of it without nicks and weepers all the time. So I'll eventually branch out, I just haven't yet.

I don't see myself ever having a collection, but I do want to eventually get a nice high-end razor, and I don't want to spend high-end razor money without being confident that I can get a DFS/BBS out of it without nicks and weepers all the time. So I'll eventually branch out, I just haven't yet.
I have been tempted by some high-end razors and brushes and soaps, but never committed to purchase. Every now and again, there will be a passaround with something that might pique your curiosity.

Just my thoughts about high-end razors, they are usually made from better materials and have better balance. I've had good luck with razors made from zamak (ie, many of the budget friendly razors) but others have experienced stripped threads and broken stems. Having purchased and used the Fatip FCCS (and tried a Fatip FOCS in a passaround), I got as good a shave as with my Merkur in most areas...but...the FCCS (and FOCS) shaved my mustache area noticeably closer while using a similar technique.

IMG_0041_1155x900.jpg

Forty-second shave with the Mysterous Kai Stainless blade #1

Razor
Brush: Yaqi Sagrada Familia 24mm Fan-shaped Tuxedo
Soap: Tabac Shaving Soap Stick (Tallow)

A quick but satisfying shave.

I had a couple of early appointments, so I dashed off a very speedy shave, this morning. As a result, I didn't bother to do any buffing or touchups. Still, I enjoyed a close, trouble-free outing with no post-shave irritation. We'll call it a DFS.

Eight hours later, my face feels reasonably smooth with no signs of visible stubble. :thumbup1:

IMG_0042_1200x882.jpg

Forty-third shave with the Mysterous Kai Stainless blade #1

Razor
Brush: Yaqi Blue Marble 26mm Timber Wolf
Soap: RazoRock Blue Label

Excellent performances from all aspects of today's shave.

Since I had settled for less closeness on my previous four outings, I decided to chase a BBS, today. And, even with a fairly heavy beard growth, it was a quick, trouble-free affair.

My three usual passes felt routine. The ATG and XTG passes were still smooth and comfortable with no signs of tugging or roughness. This impressed me, considering how many combined passes this blade has seen in the last 43 days.

Efficiency hasn't declined any more since I reported a significant drop in the last week of January, but the level of effort needed to achieve a BBS is still somewhat higher than early on. In other words, I had to buff quite a bit. Most of my time was spent buffing around my Adam's apple and along the jawline. Despite that, I didn't experience any post-shave irritation or sensitivity.

The Yaqi Blue Marble Timber Wolf/RR Blue Label pairing performed very well. I was daydreaming when I loaded the brush, so I ended up with far more lather than needed. The lather itself was well-hydrated and extremely slick; just the way I like it.

Overall, a great shave! :thumbup1:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
View attachment 1405090

Forty-third shave with the Mysterous Kai Stainless blade #1

Razor
Brush: Yaqi Blue Marble 26mm Timber Wolf
Soap: RazoRock Blue Label

Excellent performances from all aspects of today's shave.

Since I had settled for less closeness on my previous four outings, I decided to chase a BBS, today. And, even with a fairly heavy beard growth, it was a quick, trouble-free affair.

My three usual passes felt routine. The ATG and XTG passes were still smooth and comfortable with no signs of tugging or roughness. This impressed me, considering how many combined passes this blade has seen in the last 43 days.

Efficiency hasn't declined any more since I reported a significant drop in the last week of January, but the level of effort needed to achieve a BBS is still somewhat higher than early on. In other words, I had to buff quite a bit. Most of my time was spent buffing around my Adam's apple and along the jawline. Despite that, I didn't experience any post-shave irritation or sensitivity.

The Yaqi Blue Marble Timber Wolf/RR Blue Label pairing performed very well. I was daydreaming when I loaded the brush, so I ended up with far more lather than needed. The lather itself was well-hydrated and extremely slick; just the way I like it.

Overall, a great shave! :thumbup1:
I have a Kai that I hate to admit I have no idea how many uses it has. Probably 20. At least. MOST of them were done in the shower, so that's kinda cheating as far as "incredibly handsome face" prep goes. The razor used 99% of the time has been my birthday razor, a Ball End tech H2. I have no idea how long it will last.

Thanks for doing this my friend!

089B51A0-D86B-4922-B867-1E8C15D1EC19.jpeg

Kai #2, shave #5
2 days growth
Soap: Mama Bear dragon's blood stick

3 passes plus cleanup. 3-4 weepers on the mustache ATG, 1 nick on my neck that I didn't notice until after. Alum feedback was mild-medium, stronger on the mustache. Some missed stubble here and there on my neck, but not much - I'd definitely call this a DFS, I just wish I could do it without drawing blood (despite using a razor where there's 58 pages of posts saying you can't cut yourself with it unless you try to). It's usually my mustache or my neck but rarely both, so you'd think I could get it right on both parts occasionally. But still no noticeable tugging, so the Mysterious Kai is sharp enough to try again.

On a side note, I wasn't sure if I liked the strong scent of the Mama Bear stick at first, but I think I do. And I had enough lather for 6 passes, if only I could have saved it for my next shave!

Twenty-seventh shave, fifth Kai (8)
RazoRock Game Changer .68 w/barberpole handle, Wee Scot, Stirling Varen

Now that my Game Changer collection includes all four non-jaws baseplates, the temptation to try one of the others is very strong, but I said I wanted to longevity test with THIS razor, and imho a new baseplate is basically a new razor. I did swap from the bamboo handle to the barberpole handle I picked on on the BST, though.

The barberpole handle is immediately more comfortable to me than the bamboo. I didn't dislike the bamboo, or have any trouble with the lack of knurling, but the barberpole just feels better and more balanced and feels like it allows greater control. I originally bought the GC with bamboo handle specifically because it was a handle style I'd never tried before, and now I have. I will probably sell or trade it soon, maybe for a super knurl or something.

Also wanted a break from Tabac, just for the heck of it, so out comes the always lovely Stirling Varen, easily my strongest scented soap. I've seen folk say that Tabac is very strongly scented, but it's never seemed like it to me, and the wife LOVES the smell of me after using Tabac, hehe. The Varen, however, will clear her out of the bedroom faster than a shower fart on Wednesday morning after Taco Tuesday. 🤷‍♂️ I love the scent, but she can't handle it, so my Varen shaves are always undisturbed, hehe.

The usual four passes with some light blade-buffing here and there, with the usual very nice results. Still no sign of the Kai slowing down at all. I might simply have to set it aside when the Stars blades arrive and continue this test after doing that one!

I have a Kai that I hate to admit I have no idea how many uses it has. Probably 20. At least. MOST of them were done in the shower, so that's kinda cheating as far as "incredibly handsome face" prep goes. The razor used 99% of the time has been my birthday razor, a Ball End tech H2. I have no idea how long it will last.

Only 20? Why, it's practically brand new still! 😁

Thanks for doing this my friend!

You're welcome! It's great practice for my ultimate goal of using only one blade for an entire year! :w00t:

p.s. Okay, I'm just kidding... Or am I? ;)

p.p.s. Actually, @sugardaddy is currently at 450+ shaves on a single Nacet, so it's possible to go for a year on one blade. I've gone 130+ on Astra SPs and Perma-Sharp Supers, and taken several Kais to as high as 63 uses. One of these days, I'm going to say "Damn the torpedoes!" and just go for it!

IMG_0043_1200x875.jpg

Forty-fourth shave with the Mysterous Kai Stainless blade #1

Razor
Brush: Fine Accoutrements Stout 24mm Angel Hair
Soap: Pré de Provence No. 63

A nice, relaxing shave on a lazy Sunday.

Since I'm not going anywhere and the only people that are going to see me are my family, I had no need for a BBS (or even a DFS). Therefore, I performed my three usual passes and didn't bother with any buffing or touchups.

I didn't even check my face afterwards, so it's hard to say how close a shave it really is. Just at a guess, I'd say it's somewhere between an SAS and DFS-.

Regardless, it was quick and trouble-free with no post-shave irritation. If this was all the closeness that I ever needed, I could probably use this blade forever. 😜 Realistically, though, I figure that it will reach at least 50 uses. That's about par for the course as far as my previous experience with Kais is concerned.

Top Bottom