What's new

GIVEAWAY! Challenge PIF - In The Footsteps Of Legends

Feather: Blade Two, Shave Three
Gillette Super Speed Red Tip

The Feather dropped off considerably on the third shave. It was tugging from the first pass and even gave me a little cut on the chin/soul patch crease. Second pass XTG was fine. Did a diagonal XTG/ATG on mustache to prepare for the true ATG.

Third pass gave me many cuts -- several in the mustache and a few scattered in soul patch, chin and neck -- and now I'm feeling burn and irritation on my neck. The cuts all stopped after a few washcloth dabs, but my face is still feeling tight and dry and raw. My jawline into sideburns isn't BBS and my chin isn't far behind despite numerous cleanup passes using various techniques (and pressure).
My plan to pair the Feather and Red Tip seemed brilliant the first two shaves, as I was counting on each addressing the weakness in the other and it worked. But the third shave seemed to turn on me: the Feather didn't help the Red Tip get the jawline stubble it tends to miss and the Red Tip didn't help the Feather not turn my face into meat.

I don't think I'll go for a fourth shave on this pairing, so it's on to the Kai, which I hope picks up some of the Red Tip smoothness but also has just enough extra width to catch those bits of jaw stubble that evaded me today.

Kai edge 1 shave 5. Wilkinson Sword Classic (plastic) razor, Martin de Candre fougere, Frank Shaving 20mm best badger.

Despite a fantastic lather from this soap, the blade is now beginning to drag just a little. Regardless of the dragging, this was one of the most comfortable shaves, particularly after the event, with zero irritation and zero alum feedback.

Alas, I have to pause the testing here since I have a run of unusual meetings for work, so there will be a real mix of 24- and 48-hr shaves. In order to be fair to both blades I prefer to be fairly consistent, which I just can't manage at the moment. I'll probably push this edge to a sixth shave, but since it will be after only 24 hours it won't count. I'll be back with the second edge of each of the blades sometime later in the month.

Kai blade #2, use #1

Comments: IMHO more blade feel with the Kai than some other blades, but a good shaver. In the mild to mid-level RR Lupo Aluminum razor it delivered a nice DFS+ shave in four reduction passes with no weepers, nicks, or irritation an hour after the shave. It's a good blade. I'll give it few more goes and see what happens.

Pre-shave: shower w/ goat's milk soap
Razor: RR Lupo Aluminum
Blade: Kai (1)
Soap: Canada Shave Soap
Brush: Simpson Commodore X2 in Best
Post-shave: cool rinse, and then a nice splash of RR Tuscan Oud AS, really nice

Have a great week!

PXL_20211206_153305309.jpg

Kai Blade 1 Shave 2
Preshave: warm shower
Razor: Karve with open comb B plate
Blade: Kai
Lather: Arko
Aftershave: Henri et Victoria Unscented balm

Exact same setup and shave #1 with the Kai, but this one wasn't as good because I wasn't being as careful. I was in a rush and ended up with a couple small weepers but nothing major. I did a standard 3-pass on my cheeks and only a 2-pass on my neck owing to the redness I saw after 24 hours. I still ended up with a DFS.

I'm starting to come around to Kai blades... I had previously only used them in my Rockwell 6C Plate 4 WTG pass and Plate 2 XTG pass. Each time I ended up with a LOT of redness and irritation. So much that I swore off Kai forever. They seem much more gentle in my Karve OC-B, which more aggressive than the Rockwell Plate 4. Thank you @Grundi for letting me give them another chance!

Kai blade 1, Shave 3
Razor: Rockwell Model T (4, 2)
Lather: Stirling Baker Street
Brush: PAA Atomic Rocket
Post-shave: Omega alum stick
After shave: Clubman Pinaud

After a disappointing second shave with the Kai blade, I had a somewhat better result today in terms of closeness but at the cost of comfort. The WTG/XTG passes were excellent with the Model T on setting 4. The ATG pass on setting 2 didn't feel uncomfortable at the time however it's an hour later and I am feeling significant irritation under my jawline on both sides.

I suppose I shouldn't have pushed it and just settled for a DFA shave but I wanted to see if I could achieve BBS. I was able to do that, being a nearly flawlessly smooth result but it just wasn't worth it.

I am going to give this blade one more go, just to see if it has anything left to give. Next time I'll be a bit less ham-fisted.

proxy.php

Fourth shave with the Legendary Feather Hi-Stainless blade #1

Razor
: Fatip Lo Storto Originale (aka FOCS)
Brush: Simpson Special S1 18mm Best Badger
Soap: Tabac Shaving Soap Stick (Tallow)

No change from the Feather blade's previous outing.

The FOCS/Feather pairing delivered a reasonably close shave, but with the same issue that I experienced during its last use. Actually, I've experienced this issue since the blade was new. Namely, the XTG pass has consistently felt rough and unrefined.

Since the XTG pass is my final pass, my shaves have ended with my skin feeling sensitive and somewhat irritated, particularly on the sides of my neck and along the jawline. As a result, I have not buffed at all for fear of further irritating these areas. A dab of ASB usually calms the irritation, but I'm always left slightly annoyed by the extra bother.

On a happier note, the Simpson Special Best Badger/Tabac (Tallow) combination was top-notch. This brush has just the right amount of backbone and the tiniest bit of scrub to give it a really lovely face-feel. The tallowed Tabac has always been a great performer. Nothing more needs to be said. :thumbup1:

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
Kai shave#5
IMG_20211206_112358.jpg

Razor: King C Gillette
Blade: Kai
Soap: MWF
Brush: Yaqi 26mm 2 band badger

MWF is one of my favourite soaps and one I always enjoy using, it was the first hard soap I actually enjoyed using (my first hard soap was Wilkinson sword blue puck and it put me off hard soap for two years) I keep it in a plastic airtight container that keeps it hydrated. Before I did that I used to dry the puck, but that led to a thin watery lather now I get great thick protective lather.
I went back to the KCG because the last Kai and Feather shave left me with a less than stellar post shave. It certainly appears to have worked, the first pass WTG was easy, but the lather was a little dry so I dribbled a little extra water on the brush before the second pass. The second XTG and third ATG pass were much improved and a pure pleasure.
This shave was excellent and left me with yet another Kai BBS, the Kai continues to impress

Tomorrow Feather

Shave 4 with the Kai blade in my new mystery razor:

DSC03898.JPG

The razor is the recently released Karve Overlander in brass. I resisted getting a Karve all these years because they had so many options for base plates and I didn't want to play the game of trying to find the right one. The Overlander came with just one base plate (for now?), and it is listed as .73, which put it in the neighborhood of my Mamba 70 and so I took a chance on it.

WTG pass started out extremely mild and so I made some adjustments to find the right angle for this new razor. I found that unlike the Mamba 70, the Karve is a guard rider. Riding the guard actually went well with a Kai blade that I found out, earlier, had a mild feel to it. ATG pass went very well, however I found that I had to do an XTG pass along my jawline and under my chin in order to get my BBS.

Overall, the Kai performed as I expected, however I think I need more time with the Overlander. That will happen tomorrow because the Feather blade is already loaded in it.

Tue 7 Feather vs Kai Challenge Rd 4 with RR SLOC
Feather Blade #1 Shave #4
Soap
RazoRock Puros
Brush Spiffo 28mm Manchurian
Razor RazoRock SLOC
Blade Feather Hi-Stainless 4th Use
Aftershaves Stirling Witchhazel MitA + RazoRock Puros Splash
An easy soap to lather producing thick, creamy, and ok slickness qualities. The scent is pure tobacco...nice!!
Easy shave with the razor paired with this blade. Uneventful, reasonably smooth, and acceptable efficiency in 3passes for a dfs+ finish. The blade will be retired. Aftershave was great...can last a while.
20211207_090728.jpg

Kai blade 1, shave #3 (7 dec)
Gillette Rocket HD 500 UK, 1956
Truefitt & Hill Apsley shaving cream
Omega boar brush 10018
2 passes (with touch ups if needed)

Third shave with this blade. This time, changed razor and soap for the next shaves. The Kai blade in the Rocket HD is a great match. The noise is almost gone, the efficiency not! Third outing, still going strong. Absolutely pleasant shave, without sting, with a fine, smooth result. If all shaves were like this, there would be not much need for experimenting (apart from the fun).
Conclusion: at shave #3 the Kai is still going strong. In this razor even stronger.

proxy.php

Shave 6, second Feather (2)
Tradere SB, Wee Scot, Stirling Varen

Second shave with this combo went much like the first. The Varen is continuing to kick all the right asses while the Feather is continuing to cut all the things.

The one hitch in the whole affair was that I gave myself a little bit of irritation while experimenting with blade angles. Not the Feather's fault, it's still in excellent shape, but I'm going to move on to Kai the Second anyways.

One comparison that I don't think I've ever made before is which Tradere would I rather use for a Feather shave? And when it comes down to it, I just plain like the Feather performance in the OC better.

Feather #2
Razor: Rockwell 6C (R3)
Pre-Shave: Proraso Blue
Soap: Stirling Margaritas in the Artics
Aftershave: Stirling Margaritas in the Artics balm

4 days growth

Minimal pressure (let the razor do the work) and I had a much better shave than my first time around but still the blade felt really sharp and that cause some hesitant. Overall really smooth baby but shave 😄

Legendary Kai Blade 1 Shave 1
Razor: Rockwell 6C, R3
Blade: Kai (1)
Bowl: Captain’s Choice Copper
Lather: Captain’s Choice Nor’Easter
Aftershave: Captain’s Choice Nor’Easter
Balm: St. James of London Black Pepper & Lime

A pleasant shave. No nicks or irritation. BBS-. Just a couple of spots with a tiny bit of stubble.

Tuesday 12/7, two and 1/2 passes, DFS+, another fine shave with no issues.

Comments: My second use of the Kai in the RR Lupo Aluminum was similar to the first- somewhat more blade feel for me than a Feather and some other blades, but well suited to this mild to mid-razor. After the shave, I cleaned, flipped, and loaded the Kai into my Maxwell June twinned DE for tomorrow's shave. The Kai held up well for the seven passes so far and had no appreciable loss of sharpness. I don't push blades and usually change them out before it's really necessary; I suppose I like the feel of a fresh blade.

On a scale of 10 being best, the Kai today was:

Smoothness: 9-
Sharpness: 9
Longevity: 9, seems to last better than a Feather if not quite as sharp or smooth

The first comparison from this giveaway went to the Feather by a nose hair. This second Kai blade seems different, but about equal to the Feather overall.

Pre-shave: shower w/ goat's milk soap
Razor: RR Lupo Aluminum
Blade: Kai (2)
Soap: Canada Shave Soap
Brush: Vulfix 1000A in Pure
Post-shave: cool rinse, and then a nice splash of Captain's Choice Venture

Have some wonderful shaves!

PXL_20211207_175128058.jpg

Kai blade 2, shave 3

Razor:Gillette Fatboy set to 3
Soap--Razorock XXX Fresco

Another nice, comfortable shave. No irritation or weepers and very little buffing to get BBS. No sting from the aftershave. The Kai has been a nice experience and I'm glad I got the opportunity to finally try this blade! I'm not sure how many more shaves I'll use this blade before I go to Feather blade 2.

Second shave with the first KAI blade.

Set-up: Proraso pre (white), TFS Italian Fern, Spokar boar (or boar/horse), Lord L6, KAI (2), Hâttric AS.

Easygoing and with no noticable deterioration of the blade. Same pleasant audible feedback, same pleasant feel on my skin. The first (WTG) pass was just like the other day very efficient and all I required was a second (ATG) pass to clean up the remaining stubble.

The blade is good to go for a third shave but one thing is clear already; the first round in the Lord will go to KAI, even when the third shave is going nowhere!

proxy.php

Fourth shave with the Mysterous Kai Stainless blade #1

Razor
: Fatip Lo Storto Originale (aka FOCS)
Brush: Yaqi Moka Express 26mm Two-Band Badger
Soap: RazoRock Blue Label

Another fine performance by the FOCS/Kai duo.

All three of my usual passes were quick and trouble-free. The WTG and ATG passes were very smooth. The comfort level of the ATG pass, in particular, was sky-high; the blade just glided over my skin, effortlessly. The XTG pass was also smooth, but some increased blade-feel was present. It did not affect the pass in any way, though.

Overall efficiency was excellent. I received an extremely close shave (practically BBS), therefore there was no need to buff.

It seems that this Kai blade is in the "sweet spot", right now; the balance between comfort and efficiency is optimal. I know from past experience that consistency for the Kai is very good, so I expect to receive many more close, comfortable shaves from this blade.

As for the brush/soap pairing, the Yaqi Moka Express Two-Band can really churn up a rich lather. It takes a bit more work than any of my synthetics, but there's a reward for all of that effort. Meanwhile, the RR Blue Label soap has a lovely old-time scent that reminds me of my Dad which I find very comforting.

Top Bottom