5F07E0B1-6CD9-4069-95A4-2F2D04627236.jpeg

Kai #2, shave #6
2 days growth
Preshave: shower
Brush: PAA Starcraft (24mm synthetic)
Soap: La Toja stick
Razor: Henson Al-13
Aftershave: alum, Nivea sensitive balm

3 passes plus cleanup. Got a weeper on the right corner XTG, then numerous weepers on the mustache ATG. Alum really stung there, but was mild-medium most everywhere else. In the end though, this is definitely a DFS. I haven't been assigning modifiers, but if I were to start, then maybe even a DFS+. Jawline and above is smooth, neck has some missed bits here and there, but less than usual, and without any nicks or weepers there.

However, I've decided that I'm still calling the match, and have binned the blade. It's not that there was much tugging exactly, but I do feel like it's becoming more difficult to do the mustache well with the thicker hairs and more sensitive skin. Sure, I could stop at XTG there, but I feel like it's missing the point if I don't try to get myself smooth there.

Final Results

Round 2 was close, but I think the best single shave was with a Feather, so the Legendary Feather takes round 2. But since I struggled so mightily with the Feather in round 1, the match has to go to the Mysterious Kai.

Perhaps more relevant, which blade would I more likely buy for myself? That's tough to say. Both are still just a bit above my level of ability, so neither right now. I got some great shaves, but I don't think a single one was completed with no blood drawn whatsoever. If I'm ever able to improve my technique enough to wield it properly, I think the Feather has the most potential, but until I have the required skill, that's kinda hard to say right now.

Thank you @Space_Cadet and @AnimalCatcher for providing the blades, and @Grundi for distributing them! I enjoyed comparing these 2 fine blades, and reading others' experiences with them. (And will continue to read, as the 2 remaining Excaliburs keep going...)

Twenty-eighth shave, fifth Kai (9)
RazoRock Game Changer .68 w/barberpole handle, Wee Scot, Canada Shaving Soap

Wife was playing with the baby on the bed, so rather than run her out of the room with the Varen I went with Canada Shaving Soap this time. Awesome soap that I can't say enough good things about. I will keep this soap in my den as long as they keep making it.

Not a lot of growth to deal with today, so I did a fairly lazy and enjoyable shave. Three passes and call it good, splash with cold water, get in a little bit of time with the baby before running off to work.

Considering I average three or four shaves with a blade, which is also my average number of shaves in a week, I could easily extend the expected life of my current blade supply out beyond my own life expectancy if I kept each blade at least this long, lol. And to be clear, I almost never change blades due to dullness or loss of performance. I just get a bit of wanderlust and want to swap to another blade kind of at random. Sometimes after just one shave, heh.

I probably wont change my habits though. Where's the fun in not buying new blades??

IMG_0044_1200x896.jpg

Forty-fifth shave with the Mysterous Kai Stainless blade #1

Razor
: Fatip Lo Storto Originale (aka FOCS)
Brush: Yaqi Purple 24mm Mink
Soap: RazoRock Gold Label

Another fine shave. :thumbup1:

The FOCS/Kai pairing is still performing very well after 45 uses. Today's outing was again smooth and comfortable. All three of my usual passes were routine and trouble-free. The result was a DFS+ as I didn't need to push for a BBS, today.

Speaking of close shaves... Lately, I've had to do more work to get the closeness that I prefer, but it has not resulted in any post-shave irritation, yet. One of these days, I'll reach a point where the amount of work needed to get a BBS will be so high that it won't be worth it. That day is not today, but it's probably not that far off. Until then, I'll keep going with it.

That's awesome, @Demolition Man!

Have you considered stropping that blade on the inside of a glass jar once it finally dies? I read that guys did that back in the Depression. I wonder if my Dad did? I should ask Mom.

My Dad used to do something similar, though I'm not exactly sure of why. He grew up in the late '30s, so it may have been a common practice back then. But if I had to guess, he may have been smoothing out blades that had gotten rough after many uses. Sort of like corking.

Then again, maybe not. I tried it with a vintage English-made Wilkinson Sword that had a few uses on it and made it much, much worse! In fact, just about every blade that I've ever tried to strop or cork ended up worse than when I started. 🙄

So, nowadays, I just use my elephant hide-like facial skin to strop my blades. I can shave my face and sharpen my blades at the same time! 😁

View attachment 1406403

Forty-fifth shave with the Mysterous Kai Stainless blade #1

Razor
Brush: Yaqi Purple 24mm Mink
Soap: RazoRock Gold Label

Another fine shave. :thumbup1:

The FOCS/Kai pairing is still performing very well after 45 uses. Today's outing was again smooth and comfortable. All three of my usual passes were routine and trouble-free. The result was a DFS+ as I didn't need to push for a BBS, today.

Speaking of close shaves... Lately, I've had to do more work to get the closeness that I prefer, but it has not resulted in any post-shave irritation, yet. One of these days, I'll reach a point where the amount of work needed to get a BBS will be so high that it won't be worth it. That day is not today, but it's probably not that far off. Until then, I'll keep going with it.
It may be a trick of the shadows and light, but that blade edge looks rougher than the lids that come off my soup cans. Of course, given your skill in getting this many shaves from a single blade, you probably could get a DFS from a tin can lid.

IMG_0045_1200x888.jpg

Forty-sixth shave with the Mysterous Kai Stainless blade #1

Razor
Brush: Maggard 18mm Timber Wolf, Travel-Size
Soap: Pré de Provence Bergamot and Thyme

I went for it, today, and was not disappointed.

I decided to chase a BBS for today's shave and the results were excellent. My three usual passes were trouble-free, but not particularly quick. Efficiency is down another notch and I'm still doing a lot more work than before.

On the other hand, regardless of how much buffing I perform, I haven't experienced any irritation either during or after the shave.

Meanwhile, the Maggard Travel-Size Timber Wolf/PdP B&T duo was magnificent! This is a pairing that has always worked well for me. A relatively light load of soap generates gouts of dense, slick lather. It's a thirsty combination, but the results are fabulous when you get it right.

Anyway, I had a great shave, today. Very smooth and comfortable, overall. Looking forward to the next one... and the next... and the next... 😜

It may be a trick of the shadows and light, but that blade edge looks rougher than the lids that come off my soup cans. Of course, given your skill in getting this many shaves from a single blade, you probably could get a DFS from a tin can lid.

The photo is a little bit deceptive because the camera flash highlights the areas of the blade that aren't clamped by the razor. Since Kai (supposedly) uses no coatings on their blades, those spots start to look really skeevy after a fairly short time.

Having said that, I agree... it's pretty ugly! 😆

The funny thing is that this blade actually looks good compared to the other long-lived Kais that I tested in the previous Kai Participation PIF. Those blades are badly discoloured on both faces, yet the edges are still in fine shape. I tried to clean them with all sorts of chemicals (including muriatic acid and an industrial concrete etching solution), but the mottling refuses to go away.

However, I do occasionally check the blade edges with a jeweller's loupe to ensure that there's no damage. As long as it remains a cosmetic issue, then we're good to go! :thumbup1:

IMG_0046_1200x841.jpg

Forty-seventh shave with the Mysterous Kai Stainless blade #1

Razor
Brush: Yaqi Black Marble 24mm Silvertip Badger
Soap: RazoRock Santa Maria del Fiore

Confusion strikes! :wacko: But still a good shave.

Partway through this morning's shave, the phone rang. I had been expecting a call, but it was supposed to come in the afternoon. So, I rinsed off quickly and rushed into my office. What ensued was an hour-long exercise in extreme boredom as two lawyers and an accountant bombarded me with a dictionary's worth of legal and financial terminology.

Anyway, after my tele-conference was finished, I went back to the bathroom to make more lather and continue my shave. I recalled that I had just completed my WTG pass when the phone rang, so I followed my usual routine and started on my ATG pass. Near its completion, I thought that the pass felt unusually smooth... then, I realized that I had just completed my second ATG pass!

So, I had an unexpected four-pass shave, today: one WTG pass, two ATG passes, and a final XTG pass. I did not perform any buffing or touchups for fear of irritation.

Surprisingly, my face feels perfectly fine despite the extra attention. I would have expected some post-shave sensitivity, at least. However, I just ended up with a comfortable, straightforward DFS+. :thumbup1:

Meanwhile, the Yaqi Black Marble Silvertip performed superbly, today. You may recall that it misbehaved quite badly during an earlier use; I just could not generate anything resembling a lather. But, I'm happy to declare that a thorough cleaning with my DIY brush cleaner solution has completely rehabilitated this brush. I received loads of rich lather with very little effort. I suspect that the easy-lathering RR SMdF didn't hurt matters, either.

IMG_0047_1159x900.jpg

Forty-eighth shave with the Mysterous Kai Stainless blade #1

Razor
Brush: Simpson Special S1 Best Badger
Soap: Vitos Classic Eucalyptus and Lanolin

No drama, today. Just another fine shave.

Unlike yesterday, there were no distractions, brain farts, or mental blocks to interrupt my shave. So, today's outing was less stressful and much more straightforward.

As usual, I followed my daily routine of three passes and buffing/touchups, if necessary. I didn't really need to have a close shave, but I wanted to push the envelope slightly to see if this old Kai blade faltered. As expected, it performed very well, yet again.

All of my passes were comfortable and trouble-free. I didn't chase a BBS, but still ended up with excellent closeness. Let's call it a BBS-.

The takeaway here is that efficiency has not declined since the last significant drop at the end of January. I'm not working that hard to get a close shave, so that bodes well for future outings with this blade. :thumbup1:

Twenty-ninth shave, fifth Kai (10)
RazoRock Game Changer .68 w/barberpole handle, Wee Scot, La Toja shave stick

This will be my last shave in this challenge, not because the blade is wearing out, but because my 'Shave for the Stars' blades arrived. I will be setting this Kai aside after this shave with the intention of coming back to it and fully using it to death, but I wont post those shaves here, and I make no promises that I wont entirely forget and see a used blade in my den and just "eww, gross!" and toss it in the blade bank, lol.

I always forget that my go to travel soap (for now.. RIP, more on this shortly), La Toja shave stick, is there in my den too. So out it comes for the finale! A nice and lazy 4 pass shave which ended up being the best shave of this blade interestingly enough. I think I settled in on the right angles for this blade and razor combo.

La Toja was the only survivor in my shave stick showdown several years ago, and I've had no other sticks or indeed any other shave soap for travels in the last 6+ years. It just performs perfectly, and has only a tiny hint of non-intrusive fragrance. BUT, when I bought it, I didn't care much about reading ingredients lists, or having opinions on any of what was listed (other than the general facepalm of the scientifically literate when people get afraid of words they don't understand). But that has changed, and these days I will not purchase products that use palm oil, so La Toja is now on my forbidden list. I wont do anything silly like throw out my existing pair of sticks, but in five to ten years when I've used them up (at the rate I'm going), I'll simply need to choose a new stick. Maybe I can talk Canada Shaving Soap into making a stick!

At any rate, the verdict between Feather and Kai in my Game Changer 68 is a narrow victory for Feather. So that's Tradere OC, Tradere SB, Weber DLC, and Fendrihan Mk II favoring Kai, and Game Changer 68 favoring Feather. 4-1 in favor of Kai in my razors.

See y'all over in the Shave for the Stars with my Tradere OC and a modern Silver Star for my next shave!

IMG_0048_1200x862.jpg

Forty-ninth shave with the Mysterous Kai Stainless blade #1

Razor
Brush: Yaqi Moka Express 26mm Two-Band Badger
Soap: RazoRock Black Label

Excellent performances from all aspects of today's shave.

Today, I purposely strove for a BBS after taking it easy for the last few days. So, along with my usual three passes, I spent a fair amount of time buffing and doing little touchups.

In the end, I managed a BBS without any post-shave irritation. As before, I carefully monitored my progress to see if there was any evidence of tugging or roughness, but found none.

So, as long as this blade continues to provide a smooth, comfortable performance, I'll just keep using it. :thumbup1:

[I am late to the party here and not technically part of this challenge PIF. However,]

Grundi included a feather blade and a kai blade with the Shave for the Stars Challenge PIF so I thought it would be appropriate to post my thoughts here.

Feather New Hi Stainless platinum coated
I have used feather blades for the better part of two decades. They are SHARP and smooth. They DO demand respect as they WILL bite with sloppy technique or when speed shaving. When shaving daily, I can get 5-7 shaves per blade and I never push a blade past one week. That being said, NOTHING works better on a seven-day beard than a fresh feather in a Merkur 34c.

Kai Stainless Steel
I tried a single sample of this blade in the past and liked it well enough to purchase a five-pack for further testing. I am still working through that pack and have not made any final conclusions yet. This is one of the VERY FEW stainless blades that I seem to like (read tolerate). It still has that drag/suction feeling that all non-platinum-coated blades have. However, they are relatively smooth and provide for a drama-free shave. One interesting note is that it seems to be smoother and shave better when I apply MORE pressure than usual. Odd, but there it is.

Thanks again Grundi,
Mike

I stopped journaling. The seasons roll. Life continues to happen, randomly. Maybe @Demolition even finished off his legendary blade.

One thing never changes, the Kai is still in my Wunderbar and still does an excellent clean up of my neck maelstroms every time I take time to grab it.

Gee whiz, @Grundi @Space_Cadet and @AnimalCatcher ! Give a guy a break!

Your Kai blade is displaying amazing longevity! As you've experienced for yourself, they are some of the most consistent and durable blades on the market. I've now taken several to 60+ uses.

As for my latest Kai blade, I stopped at 49 shaves when the A Very Mysteree-X Shave Participation PIF began. Judging by its last use, this blade still has some life in it, so I vowed to start using it again after the Participation PIF ended.

Of course, that never happened because the An Old Friend Returns Participation PIF started up right after the Mystee-X Participation PIF ended!

However, I'll soon be taking a break from PIFs, so I'll be able to revisit some of these excellent blades like the Kai. :thumbup1:

As for my latest Kai blade, I stopped at 49 shaves when the A Very Mysteree-X Shave Participation PIF began. Judging by its last use, this blade still has some life in it, so I vowed to start using it again after the Participation PIF ended.

Of course, that never happened because the An Old Friend Returns Participation PIF started up right after the Mystee-X Participation PIF ended!

However, I'll soon be taking a break from PIFs, so I'll be able to revisit some of these excellent blades like the Kai. :thumbup1:
We've had some amazing blades in the recent PIFs and I'm very impressed with the blade longevity. I'm trying to space out the next PIF to give everyone a breather.

That said, @Space_Cadet and I are working on a VERY INTERESTING set of blades for the next PIF in hopes of drawing @Demolition and others back into the fold!!

Top Bottom