What's new

Challenge PIF - Classic Wilkinsons Vs Modern Wilkinsons

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Just did shave 14 on my old English Wilkie today. I can remember them lasting me months when I was in my 20s, and it looks (feels) like they can still put up a good run in this older beard. I can get 19 or 20 shaves on a German one, so it'll be interesting to see how far this one goes.

(I'll be posting every couple of days, two days worth of shaves per report.)

Second shave with Wilkinson Sword (German) blade #1

May 24
: No further signs of rusting, so I think it's safe to keep using this blade. Used the Gillette Slim Adjustable again.

Yesterday's performance was confidence-inspiring, so I felt brave enough to do my usual three passes (WTG, ATG, XTG) on setting 9 with a final touchup on 7. I was rewarded with a very close shave with no post-shave irritation. The blade definitely feels smoother today than yesterday; the "acute sharpness" that I mentioned earlier has been replaced by a satisfying feeling of efficiency.

On the other hand, the rusting issue still concerns me, so I'll keep a close eye on it.

Anyway, my first impressions of the German Wilkies are that they are sharp and efficient; so far, they are mowing down my stubble with great aplomb. In contrast, the English Wilkies that I used for decades are less sharp, but smoother and extremely consistent from shave to shave. Only time will tell if the German Wilkies will smoothen out and perform as consistently as the English Wilkies.

Third shave with Wilkinson Sword (German) blade #1

May 25
: Today's shave was a real mystery.

I set the Slim to 9 as before and began the WTG pass, but had to pause after two strokes because it felt extremely rough. I dialled down to 7 and completed the pass.

On the first stroke of the ATG pass, it felt rough again. I dialled down to 6, then 4 on successive passes. I eventually went all the way down to 3 to complete the ATG pass.

Back up to 5 to start the XTG pass, but did not finish as I experienced some skipping along the jawline. I'm stopping my shave here.

After rinsing my face, I noticed a lot of redness along the jawline and next to my Adam's apple. Then, my face began to sting. I went straight to the Gold Bond lotion to douse that fire. I'm not sure what changed between yesterday's shave (which was comfortable and irritation-free) and today's. Maybe three shaves is all I'm going to get out of this blade. I'll give it another try tomorrow to make sure.

Fourth shave with Wilkinson Sword (German) blade #1

May 26
: The mystery deepens.

I expected a repeat of yesterday's performance, but was surprised to find the opposite. Starting the Slim on setting 6, I completed the WTG pass with no issues.

The ATG pass on setting 6 did not start well, so I dialled down to 4 and was able to finish the pass with some minor tugging along the jawline. Dialling back up to 6, the XTG pass also went fairly smoothly.

After some light buffing, I rinsed off and inspected my face. There was only a minor amount of redness on the trouble spots that I mentioned, yesterday. There was some irritation under my chin, but Nivea ASB solved that in a jiffy.

So, today's shave was actually pretty good. I don't know what attributed to the poor performance yesterday; neither my setup nor my pre-shave routine has changed. We'll see how it goes tomorrow. If I get another Jekyll-and-Hyde shave, then it might be time to switch to the second German Wilkie.

Fifth shave with Wilkinson Sword (German) blade #1

May 27
: Still a mystery.

I started with the Slim set to 6 and was rewarded with an exceptionally smooth WTG pass. I took a chance with the same setting on the ATG pass and was surprised to find that it was completely trouble-free. The XTG pass on 6 was also a breeze.

The previous two shaves exhibited a troublesome, unrefined quality. However, today's shave was similar to this same blade's performance on May 24 when I also received a close, comfortable shave with no post-shave irritation.

What changed between today's shave, yesterday's shave, and the shave from the day before? I could swear that someone is switching blades on me when I'm not looking. But, more likely, the blade is finally settling down. At least, I hope so, because the lack of consistency demonstrated by this blade is puzzling.

Sixth shave with Wilkinson Sword (German) blade #1

May 28
: Same setting on the Slim as yesterday: Straight 6s on WTG, ATG, and XTG.

Only some minor tugging on the ATG pass at the back of the jaw. Otherwise, a comfortable shave.

A couple of days ago, I was planning on binning this blade, but it seems to be getting better as time goes on. I'll keep using it until the performance takes another nose-dive.

Seventh shave with Wilkinson Sword (German) blade #1

May 29
: I spoke too soon.

I was expecting another smooth, comfortable shave, but got something similar to the shaves on May 25 and 26 which left me with redness and irritation along my jawline and neck.

The trouble began with the WTG pass. I began the shave with the Slim set to 6, but had to drop it to 5 to alleviate the roughness. I dropped down to setting 4 on the ATG pass. The XTG pass was also performed on setting 4. Both the ATG and XTG passes felt harsh and dull.

I think that this blade has finally given up the ghost. Therefore, I'll be switching to another modern German Wilkie on my next shave. With any luck, it will be more consistent than this blade.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I just finished shave 17 on my English Wilkie today. In comparison, I get 19 or 20 with the modern German ones. The English one is fading, but still comfortable. It just takes a little extra effort to achieve the same closeness. No discomfort or irritation though.

I decided to use an English-made Wilkinson Sword, today, instead of switching to a second modern German Wilkie.

Once again, a big hearty "Thank You!" goes out to @Toothpick and @Grundi for making it possible to compare both the modern and classic iterations of this iconic blade! :thumbup1:

First shave with Wilkinson Sword (English) blade #1

May 30
: As with the modern German Wilkinson Sword blade, I'm using the same setup to keep the comparison on an even footing: Gillette Slim Adjustable, Yaqi 26mm Tuxedo, Williams Mug Soap. Other than the brush, this replicates the setup that I would have been using when I first learned to shave. 🐣

Speaking of which, this is the blade that I remember from my youth! My Dad started me on English Wilkies and I was lucky enough to keep using them for 30+ years, so I have a pretty good understanding of how they should feel. And, right out of the wrapper, today's blade brought back memories of the old days; a smooth, refined three-pass shave with no post-shave irritation.

English Wilkies are often praised for their balance between smoothness, sharpness, and durability. Their consistency from shave to shave is well known. In my experience, these are traits that the modern Wilkie isn't entirely able to match. Frankly, it's a crying shame that the English blades are no longer made.

Second shave with Wilkinson Sword (English) blade #1

May 31
: A lovely shave, today.

I started off with the Slim set to 8 for the WTG pass, dialled down to 6 for the ATG pass, then back up to 7 for the XTG pass. All passes were smooth and trouble-free.

Afterwards, there were no signs of irritation and my face felt unusually refreshed. I really didn't need any ASB, but dabbed some Nivea Sensitive on my neck out of habit. So, overall, I had a terrific shave, today.

In fact, I might have scored this a perfect "10" if I used a numerical rating system. However, I just don't believe in scoring my shaves. How do I objectively quantify something that is so subjective? Answer: I can't because there's no way for me to state with any confidence that one shave was x% better than another. Also, what if I rated today's shave as a "10" and tomorrow's shave was even better? Do I go up to "11"? (A tip o' the hat to Nigel Tufnel! :laugh:)

Anyway, nevermind that last paragraph... I had a great shave with the English Wilkie and I'm looking forward to many more in the coming days!

Third shave with Wilkinson Sword (English) blade #1

June 1
: Another delightful shave.

The Slim was left at setting 7 after my last shave, so I decided to start my WTG pass without any changes. In the end, I performed all passes (WTG, ATG, XTG) on 7 and received a close, effortless shave.

After rinsing with cool water, there were no signs of irritation, so I felt that I could forego the ASB, today.

On a side note, the vintage English Wilkie has stayed much cleaner than the modern German Wilkie. As some may recall, the German Wilkie rusted after its first use. No such issues here.

Fourth shave with Wilkinson Sword (English) blade #1

June 2
: Still smooth and comfortable.

With the setting unchanged from yesterday, I performed my usual three-pass shave. All passes (WTG, ATG, XTG) were easy and trouble-free. I haven't had to buff much, at all, while using this blade.

The English Wilkie has been a joy to use because shaving with it is so effortless. Once again, the fact that these blades are no longer made is truly lamentable.

Anyway, the choice is clear to me... The English Wilkinson Sword is the winner over the modern German blade. The German Wilkie is good, but can't match the balanced performance of the vintage English blade.

Oh, it's gone quiet in here.

Having shaved my way through some Tiger and Tatra blades that came about from another @Grundi PIF, I thought I'd circle back to look at those English Wilkies again.

starting on the second edge of the first blade, in every sense it was 'good enough', like a bottom-tier SuperMax. It would do in a pinch, but I'd sooner not have to shave like this. It was unimproved on the second shave, so after that it was straight into the blade bank.

Something was bothering me about this blade, since I'd used and enjoyed blades purportedly made on the exact same production line, and plenty of people sing the praises of these old blades, so for my next shave I immediately unwrapped the second English blade and put it into my plastic Wilkinson Sword Classic razor.

Immediately the blade felt... unexceptional. Not life-fulfilling, but not a bottom of the barrel blade either. Certainly better than the first blade, which I now strongly suspect was a dud. I took the edge to five shaves, and whilst it was tending towards allowing evening shadow as the shaves went on, yesterday's (shave #5) was the smoothest yet, coming as it did after a shower. Every shave felt very safe, without me worrying that I was going to slice myself open, I don't think I had a single weeper.

So whilst I prefer the modern German Wilkies on shaves 1-3, there's no denying that the English blades are more consistent across a longer number of shaves. Just for giggles I'll probably put this blade in my Wilkinson Sword Sticky to finish it off, for that full-on retro experience. With my Palmolive stick soap, obviously.

Top Bottom