What's new

Challenge PIF - Classic Wilkinsons Vs Modern Wilkinsons

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Proof of delivery! Mr McFeely just handed me this. True story...
IMG_20200407_124710319~2.jpg
Now to go look at the rules again!

FarmerTan

I think I will go with the modern? German Wilky today, and I will probably use my NEW LC.... I like to live dangerously baby!

Shave #1 with the German Wilkinson Blade

Razor:
Gillette Parat
Soap: Tabac Shave Stick
Results: Maybe not the fairest way to start as I haven't used the Parat in several months. (I was going as European as possible.) The shave was definitely close (DFS), but I have a lot of face/skin irritation and some weepers. I usually favor milder razors, and the Parat is a mild razor (maybe a bit more aggressive than my Merkur 3-piece and on par with the new Gillette Heritage). So, close shave but not very comfortable.

Question for anyone in the know - does the Gillette Parat have the 1/4 twist blade seating that the Gillette Slim has? Mine does not seem to have that and I don't want to over-torque the TTO.
It doesn't, closes like all other superspeeds, flairs, etc....
It's a nice razor....

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Question... did you put the dots on the back of the wrapper? Or did they come that way?

- Please Note - to tell the blades apart from each other:
  • British-made Wilkinson Blades have a blue dot on the back of the wrapper
  • German-made Wilkinson Blades have a red dot on the back of the wrapper

Question... did you put the dots on the back of the wrapper? Or did they come that way?
I put the dots there (or at least I tried). The blue dot is very faint since the wrapper didn't like the marker I used. I did this before I realized that the wrappers were somewhat different (German-made wrapper pattern was consistent, while the British-made pattern had significant space on the back).

Shave #1 with the German Wilkinson Blade

Razor: Gillette Old Type
Soap: MWF
Results: Went old school for this shave. I can’t explain it, but the blade felt different. May have been because I haven’t used the Old Type in awhile. Anyway, hit it for three passes and had no issues at all. The blade felt smooth and sharp the entire shave, delivering a BBS finish.

Shave #2 with the German Wilkinson Blade

Razor:
Gillette Parat
Soap: PdP 63 (used it like a shave stick!!)
Results: Experimenting a little bit, I think I've found the sweet spot angle for this razor; unfortunately, my face took the brunt of the research!! For me, I need to keep the handle almost (but not quite) parallel to my face, and, when I do, the shave is smooth and comfortable with no skin irritation; when I don't, then bad things begin to happen. The shave itself was a very nice, smooth (when the angle was right), close, DFS shave. The German-made Wilkie is definitely sharp enough, but can be a bit harsh if conditions are not optimal. Also, there were NO weepers from this morning's shave!!

Color Analyst pipes in: like several others, I've chosen a vintage razor for the first round; however, my inexperience with the razor may have skewed my perception of the blade. Now that I've found my angle, things should get better.

Last ups at the top of the first Inning: the German-made Wilkinson gets one more at-bat, and, then, I'll switch over to the British-made Wilkinson.

Additional Color Analyst comment: Tabac and PdP 63 are among my favorite soaps and are consistent performers for me.

I want to thank @Grundi again for his Wilkinson PIF, This will be the first time that I have tried either of them and only the second time that I have tried a “vintage” blade. A little background on my shaving routine, I am a daily shaver, I look forward to it and I don’t remember the last time that I missed or skipped a day. I wouldn’t say that I have a large collection of shaving goods, I am somewhere around 30 soap and aftershave combos, I have approx. 20 different razors, a few vintage ones like a birth-year and Quarter Gillette Super Speed (R4). For the blade test, I have chosen the tools that I am most familiar with and the ones that work best for me. I normally only use a blade for a max of 3-4 shaves, I have gone beyond that but I enjoy a sharp smooth shave, so when I feel any tugging the blade gets binned. I will limit this trial to a max of 2-3 shaves per blade, I will use the same setup for each shave and will be shaving everyday usually around the same time, Below is the daily setup that will be used for trying out the 2 blades.
20200408_125157.jpg

Razor: Rockwell 6C - My go-to plate is #4
Prep: shower and hot towel
Pre: RazoRock Lime pre-shave cube
Brush: Yaqi R1730 Sagrada Familia Tuxedo Synthetic
Lather: Vito’s Extra Super
Post Aqua Velva 5 in 1 Shave Balm
Aftershave: William Aqua Velva Lociön (Imported)

The first shave will be Thursday, April 09, 2020, I will be starting out with the German version blade first. I will post the daily reviews in this post, Once again thanks to @Grundi for such an awesome PIF.

FarmerTan

Well, shave number one is in the books!

I chickened out and used my H2 Tech, because I am using the German blade first. I've used a vintage Wilky that was given to me, so I know it's a GREAT blade for my incredibly handsome face.

I planned on starting yesterday, but am REALLY glad that I didn't, because this came in the mail today!:
IMG_20200408_122209485.jpg

I used the one on the bottom, and will again tomorrow with the vintage English made Wilky.

This was my first use of a tubed shaving cream, but won't be the last. Very nice fragrance (the lovely War Department liked it!) and PLENTY slick. I just squeezed some into the brush, wet it a bit, as well as my incredibly handsome face, and rubbed it in. Beautiful stuff!

The blade surprised me. I expected it to be "rough" for some reason, but it did very well, and I stopped at 2 passes, because a: I'm retired, and two: I plan to shave tomorrow, so no need to chase BBS!

If this blade lasts for 5 shaves, I would consider a bulk (100) order of them. Seems to me the last time I looked they are very affordable.

Shout out to my friend @Space_Cadet for the cream. Post shave feel is GREAT. No need for aftershave.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Well, shave number one is in the books!

I chickened out and used my H2 Tech, because I am using the German blade first. I've used a vintage Wilky that was given to me, so I know it's a GREAT blade for my incredibly handsome face.

I planned on starting yesterday, but am REALLY glad that I didn't, because this came in the mail today!:
View attachment 1084427
I used the one on the bottom, and will again tomorrow with the vintage English made Wilky.

This was my first use of a tubed shaving cream, but won't be the last. Very nice fragrance (the lovely War Department liked it!) and PLENTY slick. I just squeezed some into the brush, wet it a bit, as well as my incredibly handsome face, and rubbed it in. Beautiful stuff!

The blade surprised me. I expected it to be "rough" for some reason, but it did very well, and I stopped at 2 passes, because a: I'm retired, and two: I plan to shave tomorrow, so no need to chase BBS!

If this blade lasts for 5 shaves, I would consider a bulk (100) order of them. Seems to me the last time I looked they are very affordable.

Shout out to my friend @Space_Cadet for the cream. Post shave feel is GREAT. No need for aftershave.
You have quickly become a man of international intrigue Are you agent Double O Arko? LOL What blade was it you liked? And what is the bottom cream. That label doesn't look German :)

FarmerTan

You have quickly become a man of international intrigue Are you agent Double O Arko? LOL What blade was it you liked? And what is the bottom cream. That label doesn't look German :)
Does Arko come in a tube?

Anyhoo, I tried the modern Wilky German one. I kinda rushed it, and I will definitely need to shave again tomorrow.

I have NO IDEA what that cream is called! Wonderful stuff, I think I didn't get it wet enough. Better luck next time?

I'm going to break out the "gilded hand" soon. All those you sent me smell awesome. You and @BudgetShaverGuy may get me off Arko yet!

Then I got some nice samples from Marty to try..... You guys are all stretching my savings! And my poor wife can't sell any eggs what with the virus going on!

I've LITERALLY got eggs coming out my ears!! Getting sick of eating them every AM...
Here's some pics:
IMG_20200408_124120861_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200408_124224081.jpg

The really little ones are from our Sebright Bantams. They've been visiting me today when I hung up the clothes:
IMG_20200406_182522258.jpg

Does Arko come in a tube?

Anyhoo, I tried the modern Wilky German one. I kinda rushed it, and I will definitely need to shave again tomorrow.

I have NO IDEA what that cream is called! Wonderful stuff, I think I didn't get it wet enough. Better luck next time?

I'm going to break out the "gilded hand" soon. All those you sent me smell awesome. You and @BudgetShaverGuy may get me off Arko yet!

Then I got some nice samples from Marty to try..... You guys are all stretching my savings! And my poor wife can't sell any eggs what with the virus going on!

I've LITERALLY got eggs coming out my ears!! Getting sick of eating them every AM...
Here's some pics:View attachment 1084442View attachment 1084441
The really little ones are from our Sebright Bantams. They've been visiting me today when I hung up the clothes:
View attachment 1084443

Ironically, I have some Arko that's been airing out on my windowsill for a couple days now. It's actually starting to smell quite lemony fresh and less stinky compared to when I first opened it. Maybe I'm just hallucinating from all the isolation, who knows! You Arko guys might be onto something here.

FarmerTan

Ironically, I have some Arko that's been airing out on my windowsill for a couple days now. It's actually starting to smell quite lemony fresh and less stinky compared to when I first opened it. Maybe I'm just hallucinating from all the isolation, who knows! You Arko guys might be onto something here.
If they make a cologne maybe it will chase away Michigan's state bird: the mosquito!

And what is the bottom cream. That label doesn't look German :)

1) The box (and the writing) is upside down.:001_tongu
2) It says "Shaving Cream" in Hebrew. :biggrin1:

In fact, if you look at the English writing on the other side of the box, you'll get the literal translation.

p.s. I'd buy your eggs if we weren't across the continent from each other. Insane hoarders are still panic buying eggs (and toilet paper and pasta and booze and...) over here and the shelves are always empty. I wish these loonies would just smarten up.

Top Bottom