What's new

Challenge PIF - Astra Superior Stainless Blades - Then And Now

ThunderDome Challenge, ‘Two Blades Enter, One Blade Leaves!’

Purpose:
To pick a winner, no ties allowed!

Methods: No blinding. Wolfman WR1 (my ‘daily driver’) will be loaded with the test blade. Then I use my (whatever looks good this AM) rotation of (mostly) ‘tallow’ soaps, badger brushes and assorted splashes.

Each shave will be judged using my ‘10 point’ scale during a week of shaves. Then on to the next blade.

Not exactly ‘scientific’ but this is the best I can do these days!

Results:

Astra SS (Modern Russian) Blade 1
Shave #1: 9.5
Shave #2: 10
Shave #3: 9
Shave #4: 9.5
Shave #5: 9.5
Shave #6: 9
Shave #7: 9
Average: 9.4

Vintage Astra SS (Czech) Blade 1
Shave #1: 9
Shave #2: 9
Shave #3: 9.5
Shave #4: 9
Shave #5: 8.5
Shave #6: 8.5
Shave #7: 8.5
Average: 8.9

Astra SS (Modern Russian) Blade 2
Shave #2: 9.5
Shave #3: 10
Shave #5: 9
Shave #6: 9.5

Vintage Astra SS (Czech) Blade 2
Shave #3: 10!!
Average: 9.1

Modern (Russian) Astra SS Blade 3

Discussion: This modern Russian blade either especially fine or I am becoming an Astra SS fanboy!

Round 1: Edge to CZE
Shave #1 (NDC Tech) Astra CZE 8.5/10; Shave #2 ( I1 Tech) Astra RUS 8.0/10

Round 2: Edge to RUS
Shave #3 (I1 Tech) Astra CZE 8.0/10; Shave #4 (NDC Tech) Astra RUS 8.5/10

Round 3: Tie
Shave #5 (Stirling Aggressive head) Astra CZE 9.0/10; Shave #6 (Maggard V3A head) Astra RUS 9.0/10

Round 4: Tie
Shave #7 (Maggard V3A head) Astra CZE 9.0/10; Shave #8 (Stirling Aggressive head) Astra RUS 9.0/10

Round 5: Tiny edge to RUS
Shave #9 (Fatboy on 6) Astra CZE 9.0/10; Shave #10 (Fatboy on 6) Astra RUS 9.0/10

Round 6: Edge to RUS
Shave #11 (Fatboy on 5) Astra CZE 8.0/10; Shave #12 (Fatboy on 5) Astra RUS 9.0/10

Round 7: Edge to CZE
Shave #13(Fatip Lo Storte OC Slant) Astra CZE 9.0/10; Shave #14 (Fatip Lo Storte OC Slant) Astra RUS 8.5/10

These are the first shaves on the second edge of the blade.

Round 8: Edge to RUS
Shave #15 (Henson AL13) Astra CZE 9.0/10; Shave #16 (Henson AL13) Astra RUS 9.2/10

Round 9: Edge to RUS
Shave #17 (Rockwell 6C, Plate 4) Astra CZE 9.0/10; Shave #18 (Rockwell 6C, Plate 4) Astra RUS 10.0/10

Round 10: Tie
Shave #19 (Merkur Progress on 3.5) Astra CZE 9.5/10; Shave #20 (Merkur Progress on 3.5) Astra RUS 9.5/10

Round 11: Tie
Shave #21 (Fendrihan Stainless, MK. II) Astra CZE 9.5/10; Shave #22 (Fendrihan Stainless, MK. II) Astra RUS 9.5/10

Round 12: Edge to RUS
Shave #23 (Merkur 23C) Astra CZE 8.5/10; Shave #24 (Merkur 23C) Astra RUS 8.5/10

Bonus Round starting tomorrow: Break each blade in half and install in my Twig.

Round 13: Tie
Shave #25 (Twig) Astra CZE 9.5/10; Shave #26 (Twig) Astra RUS 9.5/10

Round 14:
Shave #27 (Twig) Astra CZE 9.0/10
Back to the first edge that I used for Rounds 1-6. Slightly better result, as the blade is now "broke in" . Also, the Twig is a very mild but efficient razor. Still used 42 as a soap, applied with a Semogue 730 SHD.

Shave #28 (Twig) Astra RUS x.x/10

proxy.php

Seventh shave with the Astra Superior Stainless (Modern) blade #2

Razor
: Fatip Lo Storto Originale (aka FOCS)
Brush: Yaqi Blue Marble 26mm Timber Wolf
Soap: Vitos Classic Eucalyptus and Lanolin

A much improved shave from this blade.

While the WTG and ATG passes were quick and generally routine, there was some minor roughness during the XTG pass. Although disappointing, this is still a positive change from the previous use which saw significant roughness on all three passes.

Overall, today's outing was smoother and, most importantly, the comfort level was much higher than the previous use. It can't compete with the smoothness of the vintage Czech blade, of course, but it does require less effort to get a close shave.

On a side note, the lather generated by the Yaqi Blue Marble Timber Wolf/Vitos Classic pairing was exceptionally slick. This undoubtedly aided the razor to glide more easily.

So, a close, irritation-free shave from the modern Astra SS blade.

Tonight's shave was brought to you by modern Astra Stainless Steel blades. Modern blades for the modern man!

Tools
Blade: Modern Astra Stainless (4th use)
Razor: Fendrihan Kingston on WCS 79BR
Brush: Van Der Hagen Night Star 3 Band
Soap: Captain's Choice Venture
Splash: Fine Platinum
Alum: generic alum block from local Indian market
Bowl: Captain's Choice Seaworthy in Cobalt

Procedure
Soak brush in warm water while taking a refreshing hot shower
Use a knife to slice an almond sized sliver of shave soap and put into bowl, then add some hot water to warm up bowl
After showering, dump water from bowl into empty yogurt cup
Squeeze brush to remove excess water
Apply brush to soap in bowl and whip up into a lather, adding water from yogurt cup as necessary
Apply lather to face
Shave WTG
Apply more lather to face
Shave ATG
Apply more lather to areas to be buffed
Buff difficult areas ATG (make sure to stretch skin)
Rinse soap off face then apply alum
Clean brush, razor, and bowl
Rinse alum off face and dry face on towel
Apply splash

Results
I got a BBS shave with no irritation. This was also the best shave I got with the modern Astra SS blade.

Somehow, the blade felt smoother than ever before. My face felt perfectly fine after applying my alum block. As was the case during my last shave (with the vintage Astra blade), when I sprayed the Fine Platinum aftershave splash, my face felt both the alcohol burn and a menthol cooling. Again, it was lovely on such a warm night!

I credit the improved shave to the Captain's Choice Venture soap. I seemed to have made a perfect lather; it was thick, super slick, and cushiony. The only thing is I made a lot of excess lather, probably enough for an additional three passes! In any case, the soap protected my face and gave me such a wonderful shave and post-shave feel.

As with my last shave, after I washed off the alum I'd rubbed on my wet face, I applied some of the Fine Platinum aftershave splash. There was a bit of the alcohol burn I enjoy with splashes but that was really drowned out by the cooling sensation of the menthol in the splash.

As before, after the splash dried down and disappeared, my face felt smooth but just a bit drier than when I finished my shave with the Captain's Choice balms with some of my earlier shaves. But with the night being so warm, shortly after that, my face felt fully moisturized again, thanks to a combination of my naturally slightly oily skin and a bit of additional perspiration.

All in all, if my first shave with the modern Astra stainless steel blade was a 93/100, this shave would've easily been about a 98 or 99/100.

Attachments

• 9856BB58-011F-450E-8670-521869CDBA7B.jpeg
    9856BB58-011F-450E-8670-521869CDBA7B.jpeg
    6.4 MB · Views: 0

Purpose:

Methods: No blinding. Wolfman WR1 (my ‘daily driver’) will be loaded with the test blade. Then I use my (whatever looks good this AM) rotation of (mostly) ‘tallow’ soaps, badger brushes and assorted splashes.

Each shave will be judged using my ‘10 point’ scale during a week of shaves. Then on to the next blade.

Results:

Discussion: This is getting ‘boring,’ simply one fine shave after another with this Modern Astra!!
:thumbup: :thumbup:

Vintage Production Shave #6
2 days growth

Blade: vintage Astra SS
Pre: Warm shower with Kirk's unscented Castile soap
Razor: 64 Super Speed
Soap: Stirling Sharp Dressed Man
Brush: Stirling Pro Handle Synthetic
After: Aqua Velva Ice Sport

Another smooth performance from the vintage. 2 1/2 passes resulting in BBS excepting the trouble area with no drama. It's nice to be back using a real lather. Very mild feedback from the aftershave. The Super Speed isn't my smoothest razor, but this blade performed as well as any other good blade.

Given I have been kinda in-and-out with shaving here recently, I need to play catch up.

I foolishly shaved after a shower after after a horrendous day at work after dinner after I had had a couple drinks. Yes, I wrote that on purpose.

With the Caesar razor, I was still having trouble getting the same blade exposure on both sides. One side felt fine, one was so harsh. To be honest, it was the closest two-pass shave I've ever had - along with some bloodletting. I was too tired and should have just gone to bed.

Normally for a comparison, I don't like to change up razors mid blade, but this time I had to. Switching up to a 50s SS this morning with the same modern Astra #1, shave 4. It was great, nice and smooth on both sides. The shave felt fine. However, this afternoon, I've been out in the 90 degree heat, my throat is awful irritated.

Round 1: Edge to CZE
Shave #1 (NDC Tech) Astra CZE 8.5/10; Shave #2 ( I1 Tech) Astra RUS 8.0/10

Round 2: Edge to RUS
Shave #3 (I1 Tech) Astra CZE 8.0/10; Shave #4 (NDC Tech) Astra RUS 8.5/10

Round 3: Tie
Shave #5 (Stirling Aggressive head) Astra CZE 9.0/10; Shave #6 (Maggard V3A head) Astra RUS 9.0/10

Round 4: Tie
Shave #7 (Maggard V3A head) Astra CZE 9.0/10; Shave #8 (Stirling Aggressive head) Astra RUS 9.0/10

Round 5: Tiny edge to RUS
Shave #9 (Fatboy on 6) Astra CZE 9.0/10; Shave #10 (Fatboy on 6) Astra RUS 9.0/10

Round 6: Edge to RUS
Shave #11 (Fatboy on 5) Astra CZE 8.0/10; Shave #12 (Fatboy on 5) Astra RUS 9.0/10

Round 7: Edge to CZE
Shave #13(Fatip Lo Storte OC Slant) Astra CZE 9.0/10; Shave #14 (Fatip Lo Storte OC Slant) Astra RUS 8.5/10

These are the first shaves on the second edge of the blade.

Round 8: Edge to RUS
Shave #15 (Henson AL13) Astra CZE 9.0/10; Shave #16 (Henson AL13) Astra RUS 9.2/10

Round 9: Edge to RUS
Shave #17 (Rockwell 6C, Plate 4) Astra CZE 9.0/10; Shave #18 (Rockwell 6C, Plate 4) Astra RUS 10.0/10

Round 10: Tie
Shave #19 (Merkur Progress on 3.5) Astra CZE 9.5/10; Shave #20 (Merkur Progress on 3.5) Astra RUS 9.5/10

Round 11: Tie
Shave #21 (Fendrihan Stainless, MK. II) Astra CZE 9.5/10; Shave #22 (Fendrihan Stainless, MK. II) Astra RUS 9.5/10

Round 12: Edge to RUS
Shave #23 (Merkur 23C) Astra CZE 8.5/10; Shave #24 (Merkur 23C) Astra RUS 8.5/10

Bonus Rounds starting tomorrow: Break each blade in half and install in my Twig.

Round 13: Tie
Shave #25 (Twig) Astra CZE 9.5/10; Shave #26 (Twig) Astra RUS 9.5/10

Round 14: Edge to CZE
Shave #27 (Twig) Astra CZE 9.0/10
Back to the first edge that I used for Rounds 1-6. Slightly better result, as the blade is now "broke in" . Also, the Twig is a very mild but efficient razor. Still used 42 as a soap, applied with a Semogue 730 SHD.

Shave #28 (Twig) Astra RUS 8.5/10
Again, back to the first edge that I used for Rounds 1-6. Unlike with the CZE, the Russian blade was clearly in decline. DFS, but I had to work at it. Still used 42 as a soap, applied with a Maggard 28mm Fan SHD.

That's it for the first blade of each in this challenge PIF. 2 blades, 4 edges, 28 shaves.
Supported by 12 razors, 2 soaps, and 4 brushes.
Final Score after 14 shaves with each blade: Vintage CZE 124.5, Modern RUS 126.2.
So on a scale of 1 to 10, the Russian wins by an average difference of 0.012! How much closer could you get?!?!

Blade #3

For the final blade I decided to focus on mild razors. The first two Vintage blades performed so poorly on my face using aggressive razors and adjustables, I did not want to aggravate my already sensitive skin.

Karve B standard plate.
Modern blade (first use). 8/10
. High level of comfort using the neutral blade exposure B plate. Near BBS results but some stubble not removable in standard jawline trouble spots. No irritation during or post shave.
Vintage blade (first use). 6.5/10. The best part of this face shave was the comfort. No blood, no irritation. Three full passes and much touch up. However, this blade just will not shave my face. After all passes and touch ups, there are still significant areas with an unacceptable level of roughness.

Karve C standard plate.
Modern blade (second use). 10/10
. Very comfortable 3 pass shave, BBS result.
Vintage blade (third use). 9/10. Great comfortable shave 3 pass shave plus pickups. One point deducted for inability to remove stubborn patches on jawline. Best face shave with the Vintage blade in the whole contest, all the more surprising as it is on its third use.

Henson Al13 medium
Vintage blade (second use). 10/10 head shave.
This blade excels on my dome. Using my go-to head razor, the Henson Al medium, this blade gave an excellent BBS shave with great comfort and no blood at all. In only two passes! Outstanding.
Modern blade (third use). 9/10 head shave. Great 2 pass shave for a BBS result. One point deducted for inability to remove two notoriously hard areas at the back of the neck.

I heartily thank @Grundi and @Space_Cadet for providing these blades and coordinating this event. And thanks to those sharing the results of their epic battles.

Shave on, B&B!

Final Tally! Modern Astra wins!

Modern Astra total = 115 points
Vintage Astra total = 102.75

Modern Astra average score = 8.8
Vintage Astra average score = 7.9

Here is a summary of my blade battles:
Razor
Shave type
Vintage Astra
Modern Astra
Muhle R41
head
Muhle R41
face
Karve E plate
head
Karve E plate
face
Star/Tech
face
Karve C open comb
face
Merkur Progress
face
Merkur Progress
head
Rex Ambassador
face
Rex Ambassador
head
Karve B plate
face
Karve C plate
face
Henson Al medium
head

proxy.php

Fifteenth shave with the Astra Superior Stainless (Vintage) blade #1

Razor
Brush: Fine Stout 24mm Angel Hair
Soap: RazoRock Black Label

A very good shave with the vintage Astra SS, today. All three passes were smooth and comfortable with only some minor buffing needed along the jawline.

After the tugginess that I experienced on May 23, I thought that this blade was toast. However, it has somehow found its second wind and has been performing superbly for two consecutive shaves since then. An extremely slick lather from the Fine Stout/RR Black Label pairing played its part, as well.

Overall, a close shave with no irritation, afterwards.

Purpose:

Results:

Discussion: This is getting ‘boring,’ simply one fine shave after another with this Modern Astra!!

Modern Astra SS Blade #3 Shave #4
Tools: Lupo razor, Arko & Plissoft brush.
Got a close three pass shave with touchup this A.M.
The blade is slowing down a little but not a lot yet.
As usual with the Lupo no nicks or irritation noted. :thumbup1:

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
As an aside, I recently traded a vintage razor for new boar brush. When the fine gentleman went to his mailbox and opened the razor's box, he was thrilled to also discover a vintage Czech, and a new Astra SS blade.

Just wanted to let @Grundi and @Space_Cadet know that their wonderful PIF challenge is the gift that keeps giving.

proxy.php

Eighth shave with the Astra Superior Stainless (Modern) blade #2

Razor
Brush: Yaqi Purple 24mm Mink
Soap: RazoRock Green Label

A mixed bag, today.

Although my three usual passes were tug-free, the roughness that I experienced on a few of the earlier shaves has returned. This is a departure from the previous shave with this blade that saw only some minor unevenness during the XTG pass. This time, the roughness was evident on all three passes. And, although I received a fairly close shave, it was accompanied by redness and irritation on my chin and the left side of my neck.

The only time that I've experienced any post-shave irritation during this Challenge PIF is with the modern Astra SS blades. Something about these blades just doesn't agree with me.

Anyway, it looks like this is the end of the road for my second modern Astra SS. It lasted for eight uses, which is a 25% improvement over the first modern blade, but only half as many uses as the vintage Astra SS.

Therefore, I'm declaring (for the second time) that the vintage Czech-made Astra SS is my Challenge Champion.

Purpose:

Results:

Discussion:
One more blade to go, and the Vintage will have to really step up to unseat the Modern SS!!

proxy.php

Sixteenth shave with the Astra Superior Stainless (Vintage) blade #1

Razor
Brush: Maggard 18mm Timber Wolf, Travel-Size
Soap: Tabac Stick

Another terrific performance from this razor/blade combination!

Once again, the FOCS/vintage Astra SS duo provided a smooth, trouble-free shave. All three passes were quick and comfortable with no signs of tugging or roughness. The XTG pass, which seems to be the bane of the modern Astra SS, was particularly easy-going.

Some of the credit undoubtedly goes to the well-hydrated, super-slick lather generated by the Maggard 18mm Timber Wolf/Tabac pairing.

Afterwards, there was no post-shave irritation, so no ASB was required. Unlike my previous shave with the modern Astra SS, my face was left feeling rejuvenated and refreshed. This just reinforces my opinion that the vintage blade is superior to the modern blade.

Purpose:

Results:

Vintage Astra SS (Czech) Blade 3

Discussion: The final blade in this epic match is off to a good start!

Top Bottom