What's new

Challenge! Find a good value Single Edge razor that takes DE blades!

Yes I do like that (piveting) about the Broman, its just that plastic head that doesn't seems too durable.
Yup the Beluga! it looks kind of wide to get in nicely everywhere and for over $100. I don't know. I do like that it that it has a magnet at the bottom to pick up the blades.
That plastic cap (the head is metal) is most likely its weak spot. And it is wide (difficult under the center of your nose for which I pick the r48). OTOH the r48 clogs, the broman does not. Blade insertion in the original focus head is tricky. They made alignment pins in the evo version. And the r48 glides less comfy as the Broman.
imho a polished r50evo head on a r48 handle would be nice. Still a clogger.

too happy with the Broman to get a leaf or beluga

Please do tell! how does that actually work. I just found out that you can hone the blade right on the safety razor. How cool is that!

It's pretty simple, you just flick the razor back and forth a few times. The hone is on a sliding bed beneath the blade holder in line with the safety bar. When I have to do it more than once a shave, I'll replace the blade. I turned the blade around after 2 weeks, so a month should be possible. I need to get some alcohol for my RazoBrite holder so I can avoid cleaning and drying the blade after each shave.

Ok guys, hope everyone is well! I 'd like to know if you guys know of any good single edge razors that take regular snapped in half double edge razor blades. None of those specialty blades, personna GEMs or Schick injector ones.
I've seen a couple but am not really convinced (I'll list them below). Ideally it should be thin enough to be able to shave in difficult areas and shape up lines nicely. Please share your experience if you have tried any of these.

Bonus points if you tell me if there is an old school one. Closest I've found is the Gillette Ladies Curvfit, but I'm not sure if it actually take regular DE blades halves+ its curved so thats takes it out of the options.

Some of what I'v found:
-Challenger/V-ishw plastic razor sold by Gobal shave club for about $4.50. I heard there was a metal version but I can't find it.
-Yaqi Katana sold by Yaqishaving.com for $26 or just the head for $11. Nice, but still looks a little thick.
-Focus Dynamic R48 for about $60 at the superiorshave.com. An Italian made all aluminum and the head has a tension spring that pivots.
-Broman for 35 euros at bromanshaving.com. Nice , but is metal except for the head.
-Leaf razor for $79 at leafshave.com. Probable the best quality out of all of them. you can add up to 3 single edge blades, but too cumbersome for tight areas, hence why they are developing the Twig razor I believe.

I probably forgot one I already saw, but hope to hear back and I hope this list helps anyone looking for razors like these!

Ps All the shavettes I've ever seen are too wide. I found this thin shavette by Focus called Focus Slim Al. Anyone have experience with it? It be nice if they made some with the head just as wide as the halved DE blade to get in everywhere.😀
I found two more single edge razor's by the same company "ROCNEL" the first is the Rocnel single edge razor SE-P for $85 and the open comb version for $130. I think they also sell other single edge razors that use injector type blades. The website is Turkish www.rocnel.com

I have heard that Leaf is coming out with a new model called the Twig which has a 'TTO' mechanism to load the half blade. It may have a magnet in the head to assist in holding the blade in place. I think that there is a demo video for it.

R

romsitsa

Vintage DEs with a flat base plate take DE and injector blades, also GEM, but these have to be modified. Cut the head, make a pivoting cap and you have an SE...
43F5AC54-8250-4169-A26D-504780442A08.jpeg A48E8E27-FABE-4F9F-AEC2-5242BDE78AAD.jpeg AB8601EF-7A17-469B-AC1E-C04D91F845E8.jpeg

I have heard that Leaf is coming out with a new model called the Twig which has a 'TTO' mechanism to load the half blade. It may have a magnet in the head to assist in holding the blade in place. I think that there is a demo video for it.
Yes I saw that it is coming out probably by November 2020 and you can get one at a discount (as of now $49 for just the razor) on their kickstarter site.

R

romsitsa

Thank you, yes, I converted it. The original setup tends to pull, or one has to hold it at an unnatural angel (for a DE). With the head tilted it acts as an SE.

Ok guys, hope everyone is well! I 'd like to know if you guys know of any good single edge razors that take regular snapped in half double edge razor blades. None of those specialty blades, personna GEMs or Schick injector ones.
I've seen a couple but am not really convinced (I'll list them below). Ideally it should be thin enough to be able to shave in difficult areas and shape up lines nicely. Please share your experience if you have tried any of these.

Bonus points if you tell me if there is an old school one. Closest I've found is the Gillette Ladies Curvfit, but I'm not sure if it actually take regular DE blades halves+ its curved so thats takes it out of the options.

Some of what I'v found:
-Challenger/V-ishw plastic razor sold by Gobal shave club for about $4.50. I heard there was a metal version but I can't find it.
-Yaqi Katana sold by Yaqishaving.com for $26 or just the head for $11. Nice, but still looks a little thick.
-Focus Dynamic R48 for about $60 at the superiorshave.com. An Italian made all aluminum and the head has a tension spring that pivots.
-Broman for 35 euros at bromanshaving.com. Nice , but is metal except for the head.
-Leaf razor for $79 at leafshave.com. Probable the best quality out of all of them. you can add up to 3 single edge blades, but too cumbersome for tight areas, hence why they are developing the Twig razor I believe.

I probably forgot one I already saw, but hope to hear back and I hope this list helps anyone looking for razors like these!

Ps All the shavettes I've ever seen are too wide. I found this thin shavette by Focus called Focus Slim Al. Anyone have experience with it? It be nice if they made some with the head just as wide as the halved DE blade to get in everywhere.😀
Found this discussion. I have asked my wife to pick up

Challenger/V-ishw plastic razor sold by Global shave club for about $4.50.

for me for Christmas. I sent the link so I plan on reporting back here in the final days of 2020...

for me for Christmas. I sent the link so I plan on reporting back here in the final days of 2020...
Cool! I'm glad this discussion is still useful. Lets us know how it turns out.

I'm wondering why Razorock didn't make the Hawk model accept cut in half DE blades as it is a smaller head than the EVO. So basically I'd wiah they made the Hawk with the ability to take half DE blades like the ECO, but with the small head of the Hawk and the open comb version of the Hawk, also in Stainless Steel.

I have a very good feeling about the Twig, deriving in significant part from how good the Leaf is! Did anyone else back early on Kickstarter? I registered for the mercury finish. They also appear to be offering a more aggressive version unofficially, which I have requested.

I have a very good feeling about the Twig, deriving in significant part from how good the Leaf is! Did anyone else back early on Kickstarter? I registered for the mercury finish. They also appear to be offering a more aggressive version unofficially, which I have requested.
I backed it. Ordered my Twig in flat Black plus stand. Will be anxious to give it a whirl. Also ordered a Leaf for my wife to try.

I backed it on Day 1, ordering the chrome version. Now I'm waiting impatiently for word of delivery. They don't seem to be very far off on their schedule estimates.

OK so I got the Challenger/V-ishw plastic razor and had shave #1.

It came with 10 off-brand India blades. Snapped one in half and got busy :)

Preliminary feedback - Zero nicks/weepers, near BBS shave with some work. It was a bit draggy, but I blame that on the blade for now. After this blade is done I will drop one of my top-tier blades in and report back.

But as it is, this still beats a standard DE shave IMO.

OK so I got the Challenger/V-ishw plastic razor and had shave #1.

It came with 10 off-brand India blades. Snapped one in half and got busy :)

Preliminary feedback - Zero nicks/weepers, near BBS shave with some work. It was a bit draggy, but I blame that on the blade for now. After this blade is done I will drop one of my top-tier blades in and report back.

But as it is, this still beats a standard DE shave IMO.
Cool! Good to hear. How does it feel in hard to get areas (e.g. under nose, etc...) compared with a standard DE. Is it easier to maneuver?

Cool! Good to hear. How does it feel in hard to get areas (e.g. under nose, etc...) compared with a standard DE. Is it easier to maneuver?
Yes, it's quite nimble. And turning and about under the nose doesn't nick or cut like a DE would.

BTW I loaded a Lord Super Stainless and got a near BBS (just a little sandpapery under the nose where we were just discussing)
So my initial trouble was with the included blades. Be curious to see what a Feather or Kai would do in this unit!

Yes, it's quite nimble. And turning and about under the nose doesn't nick or cut like a DE would.

BTW I loaded a Lord Super Stainless and got a near BBS (just a little sandpapery under the nose where we were just discussing)
So my initial trouble was with the included blades. Be curious to see what a Feather or Kai would do in this unit!
Glad to hear it worked out better with a new blade. Please let us know in the future how durable it is. Thanks!

Top Bottom