What's new

CG L2G2 Shot-Peened Copper

It was in the passenger seat of my coworkers car when I decided to see if Brian at Charcoal Goods had released a new round of razors. I later discovered just how lucky I was to log in at that time and purchase one of a very few shot-peened copper razors he had just released. I own a Level 3 in Bright Brass with a hammered handle, which is both beautiful and a very close shaver so it was easy to convince myself I needed to try the level 2. After reading on here about the new Level 2 Generation 2 plate, I could not wait to shave with it!

I was extremely impressed when I opened the case (which is awesome for protecting the razor while traveling!) and saw the quite reflective copper pieces. These certainly seem more polished than something like my GC84 and even the CG Brass Level 3 that I own. As the first copper razor I’ve owned, this may now also be the best looking razor as well.

180BE07A-FA75-4501-8EB5-61680A3E402C.jpeg

I also like the anchor handle much better than the hammered. It really is the perfect size for me at 3.5” long. That’s not to say the hammered isn’t an excellent option, it really is, but I’ve been surprised by how much I like the anchor one.

I popped a fresh Astra into the razor, as I do with all first runs on a new razor. I think someone on here had mentioned doing the same so that fair comparisons could be made, and I really liked the idea. After a quick shower, I lathered up some DG/CL Nefertiti as I was looking for a warmer scent on this cool, rainy day. I also wanted something slick and cushiony as I was expecting a shave similar to my CG Level 3. Deep, rich scents of honey and orchid filled the bathroom as I whipped up the lather.

4BB71F32-C0C2-449F-B83E-B15A3AC2479C.jpeg

And now, what we all came for. The shave. After the first few strokes, I paused to think about the shave. I worked my way down from my ear towards my chin in north to south strokes, slightly overlapping. When I paused I had decided two things: this razor was smooth and beautifully balanced and easy to handle. Even on my neck, where the hair goes in all directions and I sometimes struggle to avoid irritation or uncomfortable shaves, it proved to be up to the challenge of clearing the hair with minimal irritation and in total comfort.

While washing up after the first pass, I felt around and was quite surprised. Usually with razors this smooth (and I’d like to shave more with this razor before making any comparisons and naming names) there’d be some spots of stubble here and there. The CG L2G2 seemed to have caught most of my three day beard in the first pass (with the exception of difficult to shave areas, such as right below my jawline). A second pass was equally as pleasant and cleared up just about anything that was leftover.

I applied some of the Nefertiti Toner after a cold rinse of my face, and proceeded to clean up my gear. I did a quick little inspection of the shave after my face had dried and was impressed with the final results. Silky smooth BBS just about everywhere. But the lack of irritation on my neck was another exciting sign. There are only two or three other razors I’ve tried that provide the same results, but I’m not sure if they would be as efficient. Again, I need to shave more (not a bad thing!) before drawing comparisons and conclusions about this razor.

But anywho, I’d thought I’d share my excitement with you all, and give you a look at a special piece of work from Brian. Hopefully he produces further batches!

B33157CC-94E6-42C1-A4DF-284A90F9CDDE.jpeg

Excellent review of a excellent razor!

I have the same set up without the new finish and in level 3 and I can’t help wishing I had waited a few weeks for the new finish to be released after seeing yours and in the photos of the new finish on CG IG when Brian posted it up.
Great Shaves!

That’s a wonderful razor you got yourself. Brian’s Charcoal Goods may represent all that’s right for an artisan manufacturer from customer service/ communication, unique appearances as they are works or art, innovations and effectiveness. I waited for a very long time before I was able to get a level 2 and level 3 brass razor and they have exceeded my expectations with the level 3 among my top 3 daily shavers. Enjoy your catch. Do you know if this new finish will prevent or change the patina ? Or will this new finish make the shave even smoother ? I guess with more shaves we will all find out.

It was in the passenger seat of my coworkers car when I decided to see if Brian at Charcoal Goods had released a new round of razors. I later discovered just how lucky I was to log in at that time and purchase one of a very few shot-peened copper razors he had just released. I own a Level 3 in Bright Brass with a hammered handle, which is both beautiful and a very close shaver so it was easy to convince myself I needed to try the level 2. After reading on here about the new Level 2 Generation 2 plate, I could not wait to shave with it!

I was extremely impressed when I opened the case (which is awesome for protecting the razor while traveling!) and saw the quite reflective copper pieces. These certainly seem more polished than something like my GC84 and even the CG Brass Level 3 that I own. As the first copper razor I’ve owned, this may now also be the best looking razor as well.

View attachment 990239

I also like the anchor handle much better than the hammered. It really is the perfect size for me at 3.5” long. That’s not to say the hammered isn’t an excellent option, it really is, but I’ve been surprised by how much I like the anchor one.

I popped a fresh Astra into the razor, as I do with all first runs on a new razor. I think someone on here had mentioned doing the same so that fair comparisons could be made, and I really liked the idea. After a quick shower, I lathered up some DG/CL Nefertiti as I was looking for a warmer scent on this cool, rainy day. I also wanted something slick and cushiony as I was expecting a shave similar to my CG Level 3. Deep, rich scents of honey and orchid filled the bathroom as I whipped up the lather.

View attachment 990238

And now, what we all came for. The shave. After the first few strokes, I paused to think about the shave. I worked my way down from my ear towards my chin in north to south strokes, slightly overlapping. When I paused I had decided two things: this razor was smooth and beautifully balanced and easy to handle. Even on my neck, where the hair goes in all directions and I sometimes struggle to avoid irritation or uncomfortable shaves, it proved to be up to the challenge of clearing the hair with minimal irritation and in total comfort.

While washing up after the first pass, I felt around and was quite surprised. Usually with razors this smooth (and I’d like to shave more with this razor before making any comparisons and naming names) there’d be some spots of stubble here and there. The CG L2G2 seemed to have caught most of my three day beard in the first pass (with the exception of difficult to shave areas, such as right below my jawline). A second pass was equally as pleasant and cleared up just about anything that was leftover.

I applied some of the Nefertiti Toner after a cold rinse of my face, and proceeded to clean up my gear. I did a quick little inspection of the shave after my face had dried and was impressed with the final results. Silky smooth BBS just about everywhere. But the lack of irritation on my neck was another exciting sign. There are only two or three other razors I’ve tried that provide the same results, but I’m not sure if they would be as efficient. Again, I need to shave more (not a bad thing!) before drawing comparisons and conclusions about this razor.

But anywho, I’d thought I’d share my excitement with you all, and give you a look at a special piece of work from Brian. Hopefully he produces further batches!

View attachment 990240

Thanks, awesome review - and fascinating razor!

Congrats on picking up this razor, it’s a real beauty! Also, great pictures and initial impressions, thanks for sharing.

I believe it will patina. After 3-4 shaves over the past week, I see some tiny signs of patina in spots.

Well this is a dreadful review

I had hoped to have a hiatus on purchasing at least until the new year but how glowingly you have spoken about your new purchase means I might have to try and get 1 :a29:

Glad you have got yourself a great razor and thanks for the review :badger:

Top Bottom