What's new

Cetaphil Moisturiser - Cream or Lotion?

I've been using Cetaphil cleanser for a little while and have been pleasantly surprised by its effectiveness - and price!

I'm looking for a general moisturiser, day/night and not greasy, and wondered if anyone out there has tried Cetaphil moisturiser and what their thoughts on it were. Also which is better/less greasy, lotion or cream?

I'm reluctant to go for one of the upmarket brands as I feel you are to some extent paying for the name and not necessarily a better product, but would be open to suggestions for other brands.

My wife bought a costco bulk size tub of cetaphil cream. I never used it until i started wetshaving. I have average skin and it seems to works great and IMO doesn't feel greasy after a couple of minutes... I don't use it all the time though. Only when I feel my face is kinda taut and dry.

I don't use either on my face, but they are both excellent products for hand and body use. The lotion is lighter than the cream, but neither one is greasy.

FWIW, I actually don't like the Cetaphil hand cream; the regular lotion and cream are great for the hands, however.

Lotions are less effective moisturizers than creams and lotions generally have more preservatives in them, due to increased water content. Cetaphil uses parabens as its main preservatives, it puts more into its lotions and less into its creams.

As far as greasy feel, the better the moisturizer the more greasy it will feel initially. However if your skin is really dry and needs to be moisturized, the greasy feeling will go away after a short time.

Also another important thing to mention is that on your face you should use a moisturizer that has sunscreen in it. Cetaphil makes an spf 50 UVA/UVB sunscreen/moisturizer that is a thick lotion, sort of midway between a cream and lotion. If you like the cetaphil brand, that might be one to consider.

Last edited:
Also another important thing to mention is that on your face you should use a moisturizer that has sunscreen in it. Cetaphil makes an spf 50 UVA/UVB sunscreen/moisturizer that is a thick lotion, sort of midway between a cream and lotion. If you like the cetaphil brand, that might be one to consider.

Pete, is it wrong if we use moisturizers that aren't specifically intended for our face? Also, is applying face cream with SPF before bed okay? I realize the need for sunscreen but maybe I can buy less product if I only have one.

Pete already posted what I was going to say, although in much greater detail.

The Reader's Digest version is this:

1) In general, ointments moisturize better than creams, which moisturize better than lotions.

2) In general, the greasier a moisturizer feels, the better it works.

As far as face versus body goes, I think it would be important to make sure that any moisturizer you're going to use on your face would be non-comedogenic. You can use thick, greasy moisturizers on your hands at night no problem, but on your face they might encourage zits.

Lotions are less effective moisturizers than creams and lotions generally have more preservatives in them, due to increased water content. Cetaphil uses parabens as its main preservatives, it puts more into its lotions and less into its creams.

Actually, while Cetaphil does use parabens in some of its products, neither the moisturizing lotion nor moisturizing cream contain them. (I have both and checked the labels.)

Actually, while Cetaphil does use parabens in some of its products, neither the moisturizing lotion nor moisturizing cream contain them. (I have both and checked the labels.)

thanks, I was going from some of the cetaphil products I was familiar with and obviously over generalized with out checking your products. Sorry about that.

My wife and I both use the Cerave moisturizer and face cleanser right now. It is very mild and leaves your face feeling very fresh.

Pete, is it wrong if we use moisturizers that aren't specifically intended for our face? Also, is applying face cream with SPF before bed okay? I realize the need for sunscreen but maybe I can buy less product if I only have one.

its no problem to use face on the body and body on the face. But with the one proviso that kingfisher brings up, if you have tendencies towards acne, don't use greasy products on your face or other areas where you get acne such as the upper back and shoulders - instead oil-free products would be better in that instance.

thanks, I was going from some of the cetaphil products I was familiar with and obviously over generalized with out checking your products. Sorry about that.

The old version of the labels actually used to say that they were "free of lanolins and parabens that can irritate sensitive skin," or words to that effect. They've gotten rid of that - I guess they realized it wasn't a good thing to say since some of their products actually do contain parabens! :lol:

its no problem to use face on the body and body on the face. But with the one proviso that kingfisher brings up, if you have tendencies towards acne, don't use greasy products on your face or other areas where you get acne such as the upper back and shoulders - instead oil-free products would be better in that instance.

I see, thanks for your response.

I learn something new every time I go on this site!

Top Bottom