What's new

Certifyd #5 Resto

Found this awesome handle on the bay a few weeks back for a song. I'm a pretty strict synth user but I decided it needed a nice badger to compliment it.

It's a Certifyd #5 but all the 5s I've ever seen had a wooden handle. I'm not sure, but I THINK it's catalin/bakelite and it's SOLID! Maybe you guys can tell. It's sporting a 24mm maggard's 2- band.

Either way, the restoration turned out beautifully and I'm sure this brush will see it's share of use!
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Looks nice and looks like I a Hess Barber Favorite Deluxe 5 I got from another member here. I mean EXACTLY like your handle.

IMG_4169.jpg

Nice job! Can you give us a review of the Maggard’s two band after some use? Sorry but I have no idea if it’s bakelite or a newer plastic, but all that really matters is that it looks great.

Nice job! Can you give us a review of the Maggard’s two band after some use? Sorry but I have no idea if it’s bakelite or a newer plastic, but all that really matters is that it looks great.
Thanks! I'm super happy how it turned out. As for the knot, I ended up dropping out another 5mm or so. I have no idea what the loft is but it felt too big.

Its right where I like it now. I used it this morning with mixed results. The feel is on point, it's got great backbone and soft tips. Not as soft as my well broken in TGN 2- band, but softer than say a Virginia sheng. Where it lacked slightly was in the release. It isn't a hog per say but it did hold the lather a little tighter than I'm used to.

Of course, like I mentioned, I'm a synthetic user so maybe I just need to get proficient with my badgers again. I thought it may be set too high but I tried it lower and it started getting a little scritchy. I'm sure after it gets a few dozen lathers on it, it'll release just fine.

All in all, its a great knot for the money and I would put it up against anything else in this stage of its life.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom