What's new

ceramic for brushmaking?

ok, so I've never made a brush before but I am a ceramicist, how hard would it be to make a brush out of ceramic pieces, or would the knot be able to attach. I don't know what goes into making shaving brushes really

I say give it a try. Epoxy is real good about bonding just about anything to just about anything else, I see no reason why it wouldn't work. I'm actually quite interested and would like to see how it turns out.

I've never made a brush. Is there a size that I need to make it for the knot to fit? Is there a good place to buy a knot? Is there a special way other than just epoxying the not to material? I'll definitely give it a try for sure

I've never made a brush. Is there a size that I need to make it for the knot to fit?

The hole should be 1-2mm larger than the knot you're using. So a 24mm knot fits a 1" hole (25.4mm) perfectly - providing there isn't a glue bump.

Is there a good place to buy a knot?

www.thegoldennib.com makes a great knot for the money, and glue bumps usually aren't a problem with them.

Is there a special way other than just epoxying the not to material?

No black magic involved. Epoxy works great because it's really good for sticking dissimilar materials together.

I'll definitely give it a try for sure

Cool! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

how deep does the hole typically need to be?
https://www.shavemac.com/products/Configurator/Shaving-Knot-Configurator.html
This states 15mm. One of the coolest things about making your own is you can fool around with depth/loft to find what you like best. Setting a given knot deeper will stiffen it up. I’ve read of folks using silicone to temporarily set a knot, change depth until they find the best depth. Then go for the permanent epoxy.
Good luck, and be sure and post pictures!

The depth of the hole depends on what loft you want. If your knot is 65mm base to tip, and you want a 50mm loft then the hole needs to be 15mm deep. @Hoka Hey gave good advice, if you don't know what loft you want play with it a bit. Quarters make great shims for a 1" hole as long as you don't ever plan on drilling the knot out again. Since you're making a ceramic handle that should be a problem. If the knot gives up the ghost years from now you can steam it out without a problem.

proxy.php

so I'm reviving this thread to show off my first try at making a shaving brush/ skuttle combo. Just finished trimming on the wheel so I still need to glaze and fire it. Any suggestions on the next one I make

this one, in particular, is barrel-shaped but since I textured the handle to match the bowl it feels nice in my hands. Ill post more detailed pictures when they are finished up

Top Bottom