What's new

Ceramic brush handle - good idea or not?

So I've been thinking about making a brush with a ceramic handle. I'm wondering if a ceramic handle might not be too brittle to use for very day use. Any thoughts?

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
download.jpg
PantaRei Boar Brush

Having made about 40-50 brushes in ceramic handles, here are some points to consider:

- Terracotta is more brittle than porcelain, so I'd suggest use porcelain, whether it's white or black, it doesn't matter, but do make sure that it is fully glazed, as glazing also adds an extra layer of protection.

- Ceramic is not going to easily break if dropped, but it may chip depending on how it drops. When it comes to dropping things, nothing is safe. I once dropped a ceramic handle from about 40cm height on my granite bathroom tiles, and it survived without a single scratch. I once dropped my Simpson Ch2 from a similar height on the carpet, watched it roll off, hit the leg of a table and lose a large chunk of resin, leaving an ugly chip. Take that as you will...

- Ceramic handles can look absolutely fantastic. In my opinion, no resin can come anywhere close in aesthetic to a masterfully hand crafted piece of pottery.

- Installing Chinese factory knots won't be an issue. Putting in high end, hand-tied knots, does need special consideration and I wouldn't recommend trying it on a single piece. Took me quite a bit of trial, testing, error... to get them right.

- Make the handle hollow, and fill it up later as required. Use resin and some light filler to fill it - it adds toughness from the inside, and keeps the weight slightly lower (these things will be hefty no matter what though).

- Clay will shrink in the furnace, so you need to take that into account when calculating your socket size.

I've attached 2 of my recent brushes here. You can see lots more on my Instagram page @mr__britva.

In summary, I absolutely love ceramics and use at least one regularly, without any issues.. Even bowl lathering, though I'm 99% face-lather guy, I have no issues. Again, it is very difficult to break a quality piece of pottery, and it's so tough that even scratching is almost a non issue. It does depend on several factors, quality/type of the glazing does play a role, as well as the type of clay you use. There are a million possibilities, so do your research well. You could sketch and post your ideas here, too. Happy to give you further thoughts/help/ideas, if that helps.

Attachments

• _DSC0776.JPG
    _DSC0776.JPG
    737.1 KB · Views: 24
  • _DSC0781.JPG
    _DSC0781.JPG
    512.7 KB · Views: 22
  • _DSC0783.JPG
    _DSC0783.JPG
    896.6 KB · Views: 22
  • _DSC1080.JPG
    _DSC1080.JPG
    642.9 KB · Views: 22
  • _DSC1089.JPG
    _DSC1089.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 22
  • _DSC1090.JPG
    _DSC1090.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 22
Having made about 40-50 brushes in ceramic handles, here are some points to consider:

- Terracotta is more brittle than porcelain, so I'd suggest use porcelain, whether it's white or black, it doesn't matter, but do make sure that it is fully glazed, as glazing also adds an extra layer of protection.

- Ceramic is not going to easily break if dropped, but it may chip depending on how it drops. When it comes to dropping things, nothing is safe. I once dropped a ceramic handle from about 40cm height on my granite bathroom tiles, and it survived without a single scratch. I once dropped my Simpson Ch2 from a similar height on the carpet, watched it roll off, hit the leg of a table and lose a large chunk of resin, leaving an ugly chip. Take that as you will...

- Ceramic handles can look absolutely fantastic. In my opinion, no resin can come anywhere close in aesthetic to a masterfully hand crafted piece of pottery.

- Installing Chinese factory knots won't be an issue. Putting in high end, hand-tied knots, does need special consideration and I wouldn't recommend trying it on a single piece. Took me quite a bit of trial, testing, error... to get them right.

- Make the handle hollow, and fill it up later as required. Use resin and some light filler to fill it - it adds toughness from the inside, and keeps the weight slightly lower (these things will be hefty no matter what though).

- Clay will shrink in the furnace, so you need to take that into account when calculating your socket size.

I've attached 2 of my recent brushes here. You can see lots more on my Instagram page @mr__britva.

In summary, I absolutely love ceramics and use at least one regularly, without any issues.. Even bowl lathering, though I'm 99% face-lather guy, I have no issues. Again, it is very difficult to break a quality piece of pottery, and it's so tough that even scratching is almost a non issue. It does depend on several factors, quality/type of the glazing does play a role, as well as the type of clay you use. There are a million possibilities, so do your research well. You could sketch and post your ideas here, too. Happy to give you further thoughts/help/ideas, if that helps.

Beautiful work.

In the past Whipped Dog provided ceramic handles somewhat made to order. The work was done by a retired fireman who also made shaving bowls. Keep in mind that they tend to be heavier than a resin or wood handle. Not as heavy as the one I have made from stone.

Those are gorgeous. I am going to have to get a brush like that.

I probably wouldnt do it because of how brittle ceramic can be. All its going to take is to drop it 1 time and the handle probably would shatter and bowl/mug lathering with it probably would cause it to chip.
Ive seen where people tried to reknot a vintage ceramic handled brush and when they tried to Dremel that knot out, it caused the handle to shatter.
I would say that ceramic handles are very cool but theres probably a reason why they arent common.

Absolutely beautiful handles. And you obviously know what you are talking about. It's nice to see artisans willing to share knowledge with others. Bravo Sir.

I would be concerned about breakage....but.....what about an elk horn handle? I would think that any outdoorsmnan would appreciate that.

Wow! These brushes are amazing. Do you sell these or just make them for your own use. With a Shavemac knot these brushes would be off the charts.

My wife is a potter and asked about making a brush handle. I thought it might be too brittle and that it would end up breaking.

I think I would like her to make me a brush but I’m not sure what to tell her so it turns out well.

Wow! These brushes are amazing. Do you sell these or just make them for your own use. With a Shavemac knot these brushes would be off the charts.

These brushes come with Rhodium knots and already are off the charts, my friend. ;) Thank you for the kind words.

My wife is a potter and asked about making a brush handle. I thought it might be too brittle and that it would end up breaking.

I think I would like her to make me a brush but I’m not sure what to tell her so it turns out well.

Let her read my post above and then ask questions, if anything if still unclear. The OP has apparently walked away, but I'm here to help if needed.

Top Bottom