What's new

Cerakote Coated Razors

I have been wondering about having one of my stainless steel razors coated. I think an all black razor, or black handle and top cap with another colour base plate would be cool. Similar to anodized aluminum but for stainless.

One options I've seen is Cerakote. Just wondering if B&B'ers have experience with this, and, if so, if there are any longer-term wear on the coating.

Of course, pics are welcomed!

I think @Cal does coatings of his razors with different colors.
Give him a personal message possibly.
That was a one-off BOSC special I had done for me (here in the UK), Ron.

The BOSC3F, a Cerakoted Karve brass razor:
BOSC3F_2018-06-30.jpg

Cal, did the Cerakote change the feel of the razor. It looks to me that it would reduce the aggressiveness of the razor.
I doubt that it would reduce the aggressiveness, Eric. As soon as I received it I sent it straight off for Cerakoting. So in reality I have no idea, sorry.

I doubt that it would reduce the aggressiveness, Eric. As soon as I received it I sent it straight off for Cerakoting. So in reality I have no idea, sorry.

Thanks. I'd be curious. That said, I believe the thickness of the coating is thin; much thinner than adding a shim. So I don't think it'd make a difference.

Typical Cerakoke coating is 0.001" (= ¼ of a DE blade thickness [for reference]).
A theoretical blade gap increase of 0.002", one layer for the top and one for the bottom. It would take a very discerning face to notice that.

Very cool razor!

A theoretical blade gap increase of 0.002", one layer for the top and one for the bottom. It would take a very discerning face to notice that.

Very cool razor!
I guess most blade gaps are in mm, so about 0.05mm still smaller than I could determine I think but, maybe some.

Depending on the coating, if it is well done, it should last quite some time. However, there can always be some loss of coating throughout time and bumps and dings. The coating will not alter the shave of a razor, from my experience.
I had a Weber PH head coated in cerakote black and there was no change to the shaves.

Bear in mind that the gap is measured between the guard/safety-bar and the underside of the blade.
1606629925186.png

Therefore, with the complete baseplate (on which the blade is sitting) being coated, gap should remain the same as it was without coating.
Very cool razor!
Thank you. :001_smile

I wouldn’t worry about blade gap issues. The blade gets positioned slightly higher due to the coating, but since the coating is also on the safety bar the relative gap remains unchanged. Plus, as mentioned above, it’s pretty thin anyway. I have a few cerakoted razors and haven’t noticed any wear.

Bear in mind that the gap is measured between the guard/safety-bar and the underside of the blade.
View attachment 1188269
Therefore, with the complete baseplate (on which the blade is sitting) being coated, gap should remain the same as it was without coating.

Thank you. :001_smile
That makes sense, and is a consideration I didn't take into account. Of course I'm also not a member of BOSC so it makes sense. I see that it would make minimal difference.

Depending on the coating, if it is well done, it should last quite some time. However, there can always be some loss of coating throughout time and bumps and dings. The coating will not alter the shave of a razor, from my experience.
I had a Weber PH head coated in cerakote black and there was no change to the shaves.

I wouldn’t worry about blade gap issues. The blade gets positioned slightly higher due to the coating, but since the coating is also on the safety bar the relative gap remains unchanged. Plus, as mentioned above, it’s pretty thin anyway. I have a few cerakoted razors and haven’t noticed any wear.

Thanks! Any pics of the razors?

One options I've seen is Cerakote. Just wondering if B&B'ers have experience with this, and, if so, if there are any longer-term wear on the coating.
I believe that North Shore still does Cerakote. I had a FB done a couple years ago but have since sold it so I don't have any pics. If memory serves me Delta Echo went belly up and a search showed up a company called Sherlock Razor Company.

Top Bottom