What's new

Century Pens Chicago IL

Hey everyone, just wanted to let my fellow Nib members know about a great shop right downtown in Chicago. I got out of class a bit early today and walked over, in need of a few things. I had browsed around the store a few times but never bought. The man who helped me, who I think may be the owner, was fantastic. He treated me great even though I'm just a young kid. I brought in a pen my parents got me for Christmas and it was just one of those kit pens that woodworkers use. He went through his entire stock of converters to find the right one, threw in a free cartridge for the pen, and took off 20% for no reason. All told, it was the same price for me to get things there than I could get them online, prices were very competitive, and I will be going there for all my pen needs from now on.

If any of you are Chicagoans, he is right in the Financial District by the Board of Trade. In the lobby of the Bank of America Building, and I suggest checking him out!

I always love hearing stories of great vendors, and have been curious about this Century Pens store. There's just something about a friendly vendor who makes customers feel like he's really glad to help them. Now I'll have to check it out the next time I'm in Chicago. Thanks!

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Do you know how far it is from Merz? I've been planning a trip to Merz for a while now (more like waiting until i have disposable income) and I'd love to add another shop to the itinerary

It's only about 6 blocks from the Merz store on East Monroe, just east of State Street. That Merz store is pretty well stocked with shaving supplies and frags, although it's not quite as big as their main store in Lincoln Square, which is 9 or 10 miles north.

Like Jake said, It's pretty close to their downtown store. But if you are going to come into the city, it woud be worth it to take the train up north to Merz's large store.

One other thing, don't judge them based on their website, I looked at it months ago and got a little worried, but the store is great.

Both are fairly close. I reckon the downtown Merz selection of software supplies is as good as the Lincoln Square location, though the trip to the Lincoln Square shop is well worth it. I've been in Century pens too, and the guy who served me was uber friendly. Definitely worth buying

I'm so excited that my wife and I get to take our son to Chicago in August. We'll be catching a Cub's game, but other than that, our schedule is open for 2 days! Merz and Century Pens are at the top of my to-do list!

I'm so excited that my wife and I get to take our son to Chicago in August. We'll be catching a Cub's game, but other than that, our schedule is open for 2 days! Merz and Century Pens are at the top of my to-do list!

Where abouts in the city are you staying? If you are staying right downtown, you might wanna try and put the Cub's game and Merz into the same day since you'll be up on the north side already.

Where abouts in the city are you staying? If you are staying right downtown, you might wanna try and put the Cub's game and Merz into the same day since you'll be up on the north side already.

You'd have to ask my wife. I'm pretty sure she found a place near the Magnificent Mile that won't bankrupt us.

Top Bottom