What's new

Central Ohio Newb to Forum

I've been wet shaving for probably 5 years now. My first forum experience was HTGAM on Google+. Being the nerd I am, while I was on that forum, I rated soaps and razor blades over 3 shaves each and rated them for each shave. I ended up preferring the Personna Comfort Coated blades at that time due to their combination of sharpness and smoothness. Lately, I've been finding those blades are lacking in longevity, so I've been experimenting with a few other blades again. My other favorite blade was Polsilver Super Iridium, but I'm trying to use those sparingly since they were discontinued. Regardless, a couple blades I'm currently experimenting with again are Rapira Platinum Lux and Swedish Super Steel. I've enjoyed the Platinum Lux so far, and I'll be trying the Super Steel again soon.

As for soaps, as you all likely know, there are so many great soap makers these days. PAA, Wholly Kaw, B&M, Saponificio Varesino, Tabac, Fine, and the list goes on. It's almost impossible to pick a true favorite!

As for balms, I've tried a few over the years, but the Nivea is readily available and still works nicely for me.

For razors, let's see if I can list what I currently own... Parker Variant, Ikon 102 Slant, Maggard MR5 with standard head, Timeless Razor (TRH4 handle, .68mm open comb head, smooth top cap), Parker 87R, GEM 1912 (I think), GEM Micromatic, and Supply Single Edge 2.0. I don't think I forgot anything.

Now for brushes. I have 3 synthetics since I find them so easy and consistent to use. 2 are by Envy Shave/Nathan Clark (one with his ubersoft, and one with the Black Wolf) and one by Plisson. I also have 2 badger brushes: first from Fine and the second from Whipped Dog. My last brush is a Semogue 830 boar hair, but I struggle to shave with this one because I cannot seem to get a good lather with it.

It's a pleasure to be here, and I look forward to enjoying all the details of my shaving experiences again.

I've been wet shaving for probably 5 years now. My first forum experience was HTGAM on Google+. Being the nerd I am, while I was on that forum, I rated soaps and razor blades over 3 shaves each and rated them for each shave. I ended up preferring the Personna Comfort Coated blades at that time due to their combination of sharpness and smoothness. Lately, I've been finding those blades are lacking in longevity, so I've been experimenting with a few other blades again. My other favorite blade was Polsilver Super Iridium, but I'm trying to use those sparingly since they were discontinued. Regardless, a couple blades I'm currently experimenting with again are Rapira Platinum Lux and Swedish Super Steel. I've enjoyed the Platinum Lux so far, and I'll be trying the Super Steel again soon.

As for soaps, as you all likely know, there are so many great soap makers these days. PAA, Wholly Kaw, B&M, Saponificio Varesino, Tabac, Fine, and the list goes on. It's almost impossible to pick a true favorite!

As for balms, I've tried a few over the years, but the Nivea is readily available and still works nicely for me.

For razors, let's see if I can list what I currently own... Parker Variant, Ikon 102 Slant, Maggard MR5 with standard head, Timeless Razor (TRH4 handle, .68mm open comb head, smooth top cap), Parker 87R, GEM 1912 (I think), GEM Micromatic, and Supply Single Edge 2.0. I don't think I forgot anything.

Now for brushes. I have 3 synthetics since I find them so easy and consistent to use. 2 are by Envy Shave/Nathan Clark (one with his ubersoft, and one with the Black Wolf) and one by Plisson. I also have 2 badger brushes: first from Fine and the second from Whipped Dog. My last brush is a Semogue 830 boar hair, but I struggle to shave with this one because I cannot seem to get a good lather with it.

It's a pleasure to be here, and I look forward to enjoying all the details of my shaving experiences again.
Welcome to the forum here. I hope you enjoy yourself.
Pizz a G D A E for me!

Welcome to B&B.
I use Nivea because, as you say, it is readily available.
I hear the Semogue 830 lathers well once broken in; perhaps you should use it more often.

Welcome to B&B.
I use Nivea because, as you say, it is readily available.
I hear the Semogue 830 lathers well once broken in; perhaps you should use it more often.

I'll plan to start doing test lathers with the 830 again and see if I can get it broken in.

Top Bottom