What's new

Central MA folks - single malt scotch tasting event

Saturday May 31, 2014 From 1pm to 3:30pm at Yankee Spirits, 376 Main St, Sturbridge, MA 01566
http://myemail.constantcontact.com/...-30pm.html?soid=1101196065848&aid=hCrBq9ma9Fo
Sample products from Alberfeldy, Ardbeg, Ardmore, Balvenie, Glenfiddich, Muirhead, Aberlour, Glenlivet, Dalmore, Highland Park, Laphroaig, Macallan, Ancnoc, Old Pulteney, Isle of Jura, Lost Distillery, Glenmorangie & Speyburn.
*assortment of light hors d'oeuvres provided during the tasting*
*$5.00 donation requested for Operations Home Front*
NO RSVP IS REQUIRED FOR THIS EVENT

...that's all from the email they sent me. Here's my take: I went to their Whiskey Festival and drank way too much, all for a mere small donation. I also ate a lot of light hors d'oeuvres. I got to try a ton of whiskeys and bought one that I loved...though it turned out that I only loved it when I was already drunk.

So, from the list above, which ones should I try? I really don't know single malt scotch, just that I've liked one before that was probably Glenlivet. I think you get 5 or 10 samples.

Of those, I'd go for Highland Park, because I like a malt that's peaty, but not overwhelmingly so. The Isle of Jura is also very drinkable, with a slight disinfectant taste to me, but in a good way, if that makes sense. If it is a good Glenlivet then I'd try that, too -- something like The Glenlivet 18 years old. Lighter in appearance and taste than the island malts.

Yankee Spirits is like a candy and toy store for adults. It's like the Pasteur's of liquor stores. I've been going there for 30+ years.

Top Bottom