What's new

Central FL meet ups or clubs or events?

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong area.

I live in Volusia County Florida (think daytona beach, about 45 mins NE of Orlando) and haven't really been able to find and local clubs or meet ups or events for wet shaving around here. Anyone know of any or maybe want to start one? I am a professional craft brewer with ties to most of the local breweries so I know of places we could meet occasionally if needed.

I would love to go to events, like big shave west for example, but time and financial constraints prevent me from flying to the other side of the country so I'm trying to find (or maybe start?) similar clubs and events in the area here.

The next major city north of me, Jacksonville, has a decent wet shave store and Tampa has a supplier who is now making their own soaps (as well as selling the well known artisan products) and St Petersburg has a small barbershop with a pretty nice stock of wet shave supplies for sale so I'm sure there are local business interested and it could be a good opportunity for the bigger names to market in Florida.

Hey. I've found nothing here. Tampa and Jax are different markets than Orlando. There is more than just tourism fueling them (oversimplification I know) while Orlando is a lot of transient tourist types, and unless you can afford a Millenia or Disney store front, odds are you wont last long. Even my favorite Italian Deli closed its doors for good here.

It's been tough around here on the Eastern Sea board of Florida, if you aren't a big chain or a small restaurant that has been open for 50+ years then you probably will fail. It sucks to say but that has just been the trend around here. Fortunately for me I am a professional brewer and micro breweries are one of the only viable businesses around here beyond what I mentioned above.

Off the top of my head and best of knowledge that are B&M retail sales

Tampa Shave Co in Oldsmar
AOS at International Plaze in Tampa
The Shave Cave in St Pete

There are these shops, a small pharmacy in New Smyrna Beach that sells Williams mug soap, Wilkinson sword blades, and schick injector blades, then there is a dedicated shaving shop up in Jacksonville. That's all that I know of.

Hey Slybrewguy. I'm in NSB. I'll have to see about picking up a puck of Williams (if they still got it) next time I'm at the pharmacy you've mentioned. (I remember my grandfather using it back in the day, and want to try it--at least once, though it seems I prefer the softer Italian type of soaps.) I too would be interested in an event or meet up more locally. I have neither the money or time to go cross country to talk shaving with people.

Hey Slybrewguy. I'm in NSB. I'll have to see about picking up a puck of Williams (if they still got it) next time I'm at the pharmacy you've mentioned. (I remember my grandfather using it back in the day, and want to try it--at least once, though it seems I prefer the softer Italian type of soaps.) I too would be interested in an event or meet up more locally. I have neither the money or time to go cross country to talk shaving with people.

Hello! Are you visiting or living in NSB? The shop I spoke of is "Little Drug Co." On canal St in downtown NSB between 1 and the river. It's funny, last time I went in there I got a puck of Williams to try and told the cashier lady that they should sell a brush or two to go with the soap. She replied, "sorry honey, no body makes them no'more." Lol

@Alex_Kinzor if you ever find yourself in Half Wall on 44 next to the Harley shop and across from Publix, I am the head brewer there and the three "house beers" are my recipe. Give them a try and let me know what you think.

@slybrewguy I live in NSB. Been down here so long I may as well be a native. And yeah I go sometimes to Little Drug Co. usually after I've been to the dentist and the anesthetic is wearing off--it is often the closest pharmacy and I want to fill that prescription. That cashier probably doesn't realize that CVS sells the VDH brush, I've also heard that Target sometimes carries them. I know for a fact that Wal-Mart does, at least around Father's day and Xmas. I wouldn't recommend buying one, Mrs. Kinzor bought one as part of a kit thing. I've since gotten better brushes.

I do use the VDH soap sometimes. I find it is helped along by taking a quarter bar of Dove and shredding it on a cheese grater and melting the VDH Deluxe shave soap in the microwave and pouring it onto the shredded Dove directly into one's mug/bowl.

I've had the blonde. I like that one. Pairs well with the pork belly sandwich. I'm unsure if it is an ale or not though. Generally when it comes to beer I drink Yuengling usually.

I know it is an old thread, but I live in Palm Coast and just wanted to let everyone know that unfortunately The Superior Shave in Jacksonville has closed its doors. Jarrod will still sell online, but no more brick and mortar.

I know it is an old thread, but I live in Palm Coast and just wanted to let everyone know that unfortunately The Superior Shave in Jacksonville has closed its doors. Jarrod will still sell online, but no more brick and mortar.

I'm doing a sales route for my brewery in Palm Coast and Flagler Beach tomorrow! That's a darn shame about Superior Shave, I haven't had a chance to go up there since it's almost 2 hours drive for me but now I wish I made the trek. If you find yourself in St Augustine there is a place on St George st called "merchant man crafts" or something along those lines, used to have a store front now it's more of a hut, that sells proraso products and merkur razors. The new Tanger outlets of LPGA in North Daytona have Burlington Coat Factory and TJ Maxx, both of which had a hefty supply of really cheap proraso products just a few days ago.

I'm doing a sales route for my brewery in Palm Coast and Flagler Beach tomorrow! That's a darn shame about Superior Shave, I haven't had a chance to go up there since it's almost 2 hours drive for me but now I wish I made the trek. If you find yourself in St Augustine there is a place on St George st called "merchant man crafts" or something along those lines, used to have a store front now it's more of a hut, that sells proraso products and merkur razors. The new Tanger outlets of LPGA in North Daytona have Burlington Coat Factory and TJ Maxx, both of which had a hefty supply of really cheap proraso products just a few days ago.
Awesome. I will have to check ou that LPGA situation. Thanks for the information. I did get the chance to visit his store about 5 times. I managed to get some other guys from my department hooked on wet shaving.

Sorry to hear this. When I lived in FL I visited the store twice.

Some friends owned stores in St. Augustine and Jacksonville and they experienced rent increases that caused them to close and go the Internet route.

What a shame, unfortunately it's the way of the future I think. Warehouse space is cheaper than a store front.

Very true. When combined with the "age of Amazon" then brick and mortar that aren't Walmart or McDonald's are pretty much screwed.

I live in FL and haven't been to Jarrod's store but have bought stones and razors from him. Had a lot of emails back and forth. A real pleasure to deal with. Has some really great ideas on stones.

Top Bottom