What's new

celluloid fountain pens - should we ? improvement in production process ?

Gentlemen,

I'm fairly recent to the hobby of fountain pens. That is, I've recently started using fountain pens after a hiatus of some 20 years or so.

The last few years were years that I've been busy with that other hobby: straight razors. Now, those of you who use and collect straight razors must know the phenomenon of celluloid rot, which is basically the 'normal' decomposition of celluloid materia.

Given what we know about the occurrence of celluloid rot, should we buy celluloid fountain pens ? I know, they can be exceedlingly pretty, but somehow I hesitate to buy a pen made from a material of which you know it will degrade quite quickly. Ok, more modern plastics will, in the end, also degrade, but that will take much longer and as far as I know without the gasses that causes oxidaton in steel (an maybe other metals ?).

So my questions:
(1) knowing this, does it stop you buying celluloid fountain pens ?
(2) have production methods by any chance improved to a point that the celluloid is more stable and hence more durable ?

Thanks,
W/Decraew

Ive never actually never seen cell rot or at least a problem from it in amy vintage pens ive handled, I know there are alot of members with vintage celluloid pens amd ive never heard of anyone talking about their nib roting away as a result

Celluloid gassing off has destroyed many vintage pocket knives, and once it starts gassing there's nothing you can do about it. I wod bet many fountain pens has been lost as well. But it probably wouldn't stop me from buying a pen because it never did stop me from buying a knife.

i dont think the gassing would hurt gold though, so it may not be as big an issue on pens with gold nibs

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I really wouldn't worry about it. The vintage pens that are going to rot -- a few of those made from cellulose nitrate, most of them have already crumbled away. My old celluloid pens (Parker Vacs, Sheaffers, Pelikans) look so darn nice that I'll put all those concerns out of my mind. Everything finally goes away anyway, enjoy them now.

Many modern "celluloid" pens are the less touchy cellulose acetate, way more stable.

I really wouldn't worry about it. The vintage pens that are going to rot -- a few of those made from cellulose nitrate, most of them have already crumbled away. My old celluloid pens (Parker Vacs, Sheaffers, Pelikans) look so darn nice that I'll put all those concerns out of my mind. Everything finally goes away anyway, enjoy them now.

Many modern "celluloid" pens are the less touchy cellulose acetate, way more stable.

Good to know that, I didn't know about this difference!

I've only had one vintage pen with a serious celluloid rot problem...a 1930-s era Waterman 94 in Persian Celluloid. A beautiful pen, but there was a lot of discoloration/ambering and the end cap had some serious crystallization. If it had been in better condition, I would have kept it...it had an excellent nib...but I ended up selling it for a very nice profit on fleaBay. :thumbup1:

Personally, I have never have given it any thought. I had a Waterman, that has crumbled into pieces, but I feel it was due to it being not taken care over the years. Waterman, celluloid in the Taperite is rather fragile and makes it difficult to separate the nib sections.

It would not deter me from collecting older fountain pens.

My Waterman Taperite Crusader resisted all my efforts to separate the section. I ended up sending it to Danny Fudge, and he worked his magic on it rather quickly. I should remember to ink that pen up again soon. It's nothing particularly fancy to look at, but that Waterman nib is a gem, with good flow, smooth writing, and moderate flex.

Top Bottom