What's new

Cellaring in tins...again...

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
I know this comes up a lot, I just saw a thread in another forum that made me wonder about the tendencies of folks on here.

I've heard the warnings about square tins having a higher failure rate then round tins and putting Esoterica bags inside another sealed bag...but do any of you open tins you intend to cellar and jar them or does pretty much everyone here cellar in the tin?

Aside from bulks I would say that 90% of my cellar is in original tins. Some are aluminum round tins, some the "food tins" like C&D uses. Does anyone here recommend losing the original tins and jarring for cellaring purposes? What are you guys doing at the moment?

Part of my thought process on this is resale or trade value later on. I'm not cellaring to sell or trade, but if there is opportunity to try something new or I lose my taste for a blend later on then the option would be nice. You lose that with jarring.

Cellar it in the tin. Inspect it every so often. Enjoy. If you are worried about the square tins, drip some food grade paraffin around the seal.

I've got some old dirty tins that were sitting in the shop for a long time. Labels faded, yellowed paper. Tins are fine. My closet they are in is cooler and dry. I also have to pull them out to reorganize or just to play Tetris so I inspect them then. No failures yet.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I leave them in the tins and hope for the best. While I’m not cellaring for financial gain, sealed tins have some value, while jarred stuff is only good for PIFS. Who knows what the future holds?

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
In the tin. The only exception is for any tin which arrives dented. Those don't go in my cellar, they go into my "use these first" pile. If they're really damaged to the point where the seal might be compromised, I'll just open and jar it for immediate use.

brandaves

Seems like we are all kind of on the same page then. I know this question or a variation of it appears here a lot I just wanted to revisit it. Thanks gents.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
My personal stock is nearly in tins. That's partially advice I got off this forum, partially convenience and cost (I don't have vacuum facilities for jars, and don't intend to pay for it), and partially for space (I've only allowed myself one drawer for long term storage, and glass jars take up a lot or room).

The only exceptions thus far, or tobaccos which aren't being stored in vacuum tins, are the reject blend which is in a clip top glass Kilner jar, and a non-vacuum tin of Solani Silver which I've partially-vacuum sealed in a bag (denting it in the process)
IMG_20200622_223927.jpg

I do intend getting myself some amber glass screw top jars at some point, but they'll be for tobaccos that I can only get loose. I'll not be trying to vacuum seal them though, just pack 'em full, an pop the lid on.

However, I'm not aiming beyond five years with anything, and haven't fully decided whether I'll be continuing to replenish this stock, or just enjoy running it down. :)

If it comes in tins, it stays in tins, unless there is an obvious problem with the seal. I sealed three Escudo tins in a Mylar bag as an experiment and I’ve sealed a couple of rectangular tins in bags. I do have a lot of bulk tobacco in jars and Mylar bags, but that is my long term everyday smoking stock. Approximately 25% of the cellar is in tins, 24% in Mylar, 47% in jars, and 4% in pouches/other.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I know this comes up a lot, I just saw a thread in another forum that made me wonder about the tendencies of folks on here.

I've heard the warnings about square tins having a higher failure rate then round tins and putting Esoterica bags inside another sealed bag...but do any of you open tins you intend to cellar and jar them or does pretty much everyone here cellar in the tin?

Aside from bulks I would say that 90% of my cellar is in original tins. Some are aluminum round tins, some the "food tins" like C&D uses. Does anyone here recommend losing the original tins and jarring for cellaring purposes? What are you guys doing at the moment?

Part of my thought process on this is resale or trade value later on. I'm not cellaring to sell or trade, but if there is opportunity to try something new or I lose my taste for a blend later on then the option would be nice. You lose that with jarring.
I open tins and store in jars so there will be the necessary oxygen in the beginning so the tobacco can do its thing while it ages. My understanding is that it shouldn’t be packed in tightly.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

Cellering in still factory-sealed round tins is generally ok. But once you crack them open, it’s a good idea to slip a sheet of Saran Wrap across the opening to assure a tight re-seal thereafter.

I’m talking about the round compression seals normally found on a paint can. If it’s an outside perimeter lid or a non-round can, I don’t even bother. Into the mason jar it goes.

brandaves

Some house keeping in long term storage today. I sealed up my recent Esoterica bags in food saver bags and did the same with all my square tins...I feel better about these long term now.
20200818_211529.jpg

Top Bottom