What's new

Cella with Smallpox!

I've have a tub of Cella (red tub) for about 3 months and it has developed small white lumps on the surface. The soap is in my regular rotation and lathers and shaves like I would expect.

Is this typical of Cella (like the cracks in MWF) or is it an oddity?

Photos would help. Normal for Cella seems to be gradually turning from a bright white color to off-white then tan over time. Do you smell any odd odor from the soap? Like butter that has sat around too long?

I've have a tub of Cella (red tub) for about 3 months and it has developed small white lumps on the surface. The soap is in my regular rotation and lathers and shaves like I would expect.

Is this typical of Cella (like the cracks in MWF) or is it an oddity?

I had that happen once to a tub....must have been putting it away wet caused the fats to expand a bit in the soap. What I tend to do now with soaps I load from the tub is let it air dry for 24 hrs and then cap it. As far to use or not to....its ok to use it, as long as there is no discoloration or odor its good to go.

Larry

I heard that getting water in cella tubs is no good and leads to degradation. You should just scoop some out onto your brush and keep the soap dry.

Experienced it toward the end of my Cella tub several years ago. Didn't affect the performance, as near as I could tell. Seems as though some portion of the croap is hydrophilic.

Soaps without preservatives only last about six months to a year, in my experience.

If the soap significantly changes texture or color, I would not use it.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I heard that getting water in cella tubs is no good and leads to degradation. You should just scoop some out onto your brush and keep the soap dry.
All of my soaps such as Tabac and MWF are in containers with loose fitting lids which allow the soap to fully dry, unlike the Cella tubs which have a screw top lid. If you intend to use your Cella regularly then I would not worry about it too much but perhaps leave the tub open for a while for the cream to fully dry after use. When I used to use Cella I loaded it onto the damp brush straight from the tub and it started to turn yellow after about two years of regular use, but was still fine to use even after that. I suspect that products such as Cella are not intended to be used once a month as part of a huge rotation of soaps and due to their relative high water content will not last for years in the way a triple milled soap may do.

Thanks for the input guys. I use the Cella about twice a week on average I'd say, cos I only have a small rotation. I always leave the open tub upside down to drain off while finishing my shave and clean-up before putting the lid back on ready for re use.

I think the soap is fine... Smells good and is still white and lathers well so I will keep on using it.

I started using Cella last year. Both the almond scented original red variety and the Extra Bio one in the green/blue tub. The red one is slightly discoloured (off white) now, but the scent has not changed. It still performs excellently.

A member here advised me to always ensure it was dry before screwing the top back on. I use it roughly twice a week as I have only a small number of creams/soaps in my rotation nowadays.

I have a tub of Cella that's about 5 years old and it's almost gone. I got a replacement a few weeks ago and the I had forgotten that my tub used to be white. It's tan and lumpy. No rancid smell as yet, still lathers well, and smells like Christmas cookies.

I had that happen with my first (I think) Cella purchase. It was slightly off white and those round lumps you mentioned. It came from the vendor that way. It didn’t smell off and had the classic Cella scent and worked great

Take a butter knife, scrape enough off for your shave then place that in your bowl and screw the top back on the tub. Problem solved.

Top Bottom