What's new

Cella: why didn't the angels sing for me?!?

I remember my first shot of lemon-cello. It was at my best friend's son's wedding. Since all the men in the party were participating, I anticipated a manly sort of shot--one that would singe the tongue, warm the throat and leave coals in my innards. Instead, I had to choke down what tasted like cloyingly sweet, Lemon Dawn dishwashing detergent. My initial reaction to Cella shaving cream was very similar.

After reading about Cella in so many posts and hearing its accolades from B&B members (the famous Marco among them!) I decided to give Cella a shot too. I drove to my local B&M shaving store and picked some up along with other supplies to assuage yet another wave of AD. When I got home, filled with excitement, I immediately went in to shave with the Cella for my first time.

Oh, the disappointment! The Archangel Gabriel did not appear to brush the sumptuous lather onto my face! The lesser angels didn't even bother to look down upon this new convert, and sing to me as so many reviewers on this site confirmed happened to them!

I used a fairly warm scuttle and Simpson Emperor to build the lather. My first impression of the Cella smella was cloying, sweet, and strong, filling the bathroom, then the whole first floor of the house. "What's that smell?!?" my wife shouted from her piano. The lather itself left much to be desired also. I whipped up a storm, but all I could produce was cup of small, thin-walled bubbles like liquid styrofoam that quickly dissipated into a dry, thin sludge. I whipped like a madman again, to no avail. Adding insult to injury, at the bottom of the scuttle, solid chunks of Cella lingered undissolved, like punks hanging out on the street corner after you threaten to call the cops.

I thought it might be the heat causing problems. So, I got out my stainless steel bowl instead. I scooped out a heaping teaspoon sized dollop of Cella. Using only tepid water this time, I whipped, and whipped and whipped for about 10 minutes. The Cella finally yielded up a batch of lather that was shaveable, though not up to the standards of Proraso, let alone my Trumper Coconut. And again, undissolved chunks of Cella remained scornfully loitering in the bottom of the bowl.

The scent (Almond? Vanilla Canolli?), I may get used to, though my wife will not. Many questions remain....

Will I need to use gobs of product and put in 10 minutes of elbow grease every time I want to shave with this? Are the joys of Cella worth the effort? Gentlemen! Oh, you lovers of Cella! Where did I go wrong? I herein make my confession! I have failed to find the good of this product. Tell me how to obtain the hidden pleasures and gain the skills and secret method of preparation of this much touted and highly regarded shave cream!

Perhaps, I am not worthy? I was not THAT sinful as a youth. All you singers of praise to Cella--I humbly seek your answers and advice!

First time I have heard someone not be able to lather up cella. I load the brush directly from the soap. Try that next time and see if you get different results from placing some soap in a bowl.

Ahh the joys of trying Cella out for the first time...

Don't worry, my first experience with Cella was the same as yours. Here's a couple of tips that might help you on your way.

1) Like turtle mentioned, load the brush directly on the soap and make sure you get enough product. Although it says "Crema" on the label, Cella is a soft soap so treat it like one.

2) While you are soaking your brush in warm water, you can also soak the puck in warm water as well. Pour just enough water to cover the entire puck and let it sit. I found that this REALLY helps you load up your brush. In fact, I'm not sure if others have experienced this as well, but I found that after you get past the initial top layer, loading the brush gets a lot easier.

Take your well loaded brush to your scuttle and whip yourself some really nice lather. After I discovered tip #2, Cella has without a doubt become one of my top performing soaps along with MWF. In fact, thanks to your post, I think I'll break out the Cella tonight. Its been sitting while I've been experimenting with shave sticks...

By the way, if the scent is a bit too strong for you, leave the top open for a while, the scent seems to calm down after airing out a bit.

Italian soft soaps are best when lathered right on the soap with a wet brush. Try the Marco method and you will quickly see that using these soaps is very easy indeed.

I don't know what the "Marco method" is but one can load a wet or fairly dry brush with Cella and get great lather in a bowl just by adding a bit more water if needed. Your brush doesn't need to be too wet. Same with badger or boar. It's not rocket science - water and soap equals lather but some soaps require more water or more product and if you have hard water you'll always need more product. That's why the standard advice is to do a few test lathers before your first shave.

Cella doesn't like a warm scuttle, so keep it cooler. Load heavily for minute and you should be good to go, no scooping, load directly from the tub.

First time trying Cella didn't work for me either, second time, using Marco's method, it worked better. Cella really drinks water, so don't be afraid to get it wet.

I don't really enjoy the smell either though.

Don't worry about it. I never got a creamy lather from Cella and I never understood why. After trying so hard (because I LOVE the scent) I finally had to sell it and move on. I hope you have better luck than I had but I'm content with my Razorock soaps :thumbup:

Last edited:
....perhaps Cella just hates you????

.......repent and pray to the Cella god for forgiveness...............

.......other than that, i am at a loss........

D

Deleted member 48987

The angels are busy at Marco's house, he's had them tied up in his shave den for years.

I think loading is the key - well soaked brush, wet soap for a couple of minutes, and scrub the brush for a full minute in the soap.

I just have a sample and load a dab in the bowl, fairly wet brush and it was one of the best soaps I have used. It's like a sticky cream, I think I had to beat it more than I do my other creams, but wow best shave in a while.

I like Cella, but I buy the 2.2 pound "brick" which has a consistency like modeling clay. This is what works for me:

1) Shake out your brush so it's not dripping.
2) Load, almost working up a lather.
3) Start whipping a lather in a mug (SRD's is great for this), adding water drop by drop until you're happy with the lather.

Whavens beat me to the punch by posting the "Marco Method" link above. A lot of good advice in that link. I would add 2 things that helped me: (1) While Marco says to face lather, I both face and bowl lather and find both effective ( that's a bowl, not a warm scuttle ). (2) I hold the mug or tub of Cella upside down over the sink with brush pointing up and load the brush for the about 45-60 seconds as per the Marco method.

Top Bottom