What's new

Cella went funky - what should I try next?

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I know we consider it a croap but it's sold as a shaving cream (crema da barba) by Nicky Chini. The kilo block is labeled as a soft soap (crema sapone).

I think if we treat it as a cream (scoop, not load in container) it will last longer.

I treat Cella like creams that come in jars - (I load the brush in the tub) and the Cella doesn't last as long as others, AoS or Pens for example. You are probably correct, it may last longer using a scoop rather than loading from a brush, but I'm probably too lazy. It might get used up before going off if used exclusively rather than in rotation as well.

Fancy soaps last me a looong time (mainly because I end up using a cheaper product instead) - well that back fired on me and my Cella went bad (all yellow and greasy feeling from being stored too close to the radiator)

What other classic soap should I try next - maybe in the same category, but with better longevity ? I love my Pre de Provence and DR Harris, but I kinda treat them as "special occasions/weekend soaps"
My Cella went bad and it was in a cupboard in a cool area. So far that hasn’t happened with any other tallow soaps. PdP and DRH are my favorites but a great substitute for Cella might be Mike's Coconut. Mike's soaps are great but Coconut has the scent profile closest to Cella. Lime, O/C/BP and B/O/YY are great scents too.

I’ve got a half used red tub of Cella that’s been in the den drawers for at least 3 years. I’ve noticed I t’s just started losing its scent some my last few shaves with it...performance-wise it’s still a solid soap though!

I’ve got a half used red tub of Cella that’s been in the den drawers for at least 3 years. I’ve noticed I t’s just started losing its scent some my last few shaves with it...performance-wise it’s still a solid soap though!
Mine went bad and smelled like rancid oil or butter (mild though). The sweet almond/cherry scent was totally gone. It seemed to lather fine, but I figured why put that on my face when I have plenty of superior soaps that aren't spoiled?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Mine went bad and smelled like rancid oil or butter (mild though). The sweet almond/cherry scent was totally gone. It seemed to lather fine, but I figured why put that on my face when I have plenty of superior soaps that aren't spoiled?
Yep. I'm a has been RN, I've smelled and sometimes tasted no human should have to, but the idea of putting rancid butter on my face makes me think I'd prefer cleaning up after a person with C-diff.

Proraso is good. Not a fan of menthol in my shaving cream or soap so I stay away from the green line but the red and white Proraso are pretty damn good and you can get them in cream, soap or in an aerosol can.

Top Bottom