What's new

Cella tub vs brick

Hello,

Wondering if there is a difference in the consistency of a Cella tub vs a brick. From the pictures, it appears the tub is more of a croap, while the brick appears quite a bit harder. Can anyone comment/clarify?

Thanks!

It seems to be the same basic soap formula, but the brick is cured longer, has less water and less strong scent. IOW, the tub is more cream-like, the brick is more firm in consistency.

Some people claim the brick performs better, others say there's not much difference. It could be that simply putting the soap in a larger container allows for easier loading of the soap, giving the impression of better performance.

A kilo brick might last you two or three years of exclusive use as a daily shaver. If you are the sort of person that keeps a lot of soaps in rotation, you might never finish a kilo before it goes off.

Folks, they are very similar, but not the same. The brick is made for professional barber use and performs slightly better. Its scent is a deeper and more refined almond vs a more bright “cherry”-like in the tub

the brick is my all-time favorite shaving soap, while I had to toss the tub due to some reaction from my face

1- the ingredients are slightly different (see below). The brick has almond oil, which also makes its scent differ (see point 3), and the order of aqua (water) is different, impacting consistency (see point 2)

2- the consistency is very very similar. They start as croaps and harden a bit with time. Hard to tell the difference between the two, especially overtime as both harden similarly

3- the scents are slightly different, confirmed by Cella official Instagram account. My face reacts to The tub but not to the brick (could be the presence of benzaldehyde?)

Brick ingredients: Ingredients: Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Adeps Bovis (Tallow), Stearic Acid, Aqua (Water), Potassium Hydroxide, Sodium Hydroxide, Potassium Carbonate, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Parfum (Fragrance)

Tub ingredients: Cocos Nucifera, Tallow, Stearic Acid, Potassium Hidroxide, Sodium Hidroxide, Aqua, Potassium Carbonate, Parfum

1- the ingredients are slightly different (see below). The brick has almond oil, which also makes its scent differ (see point 3), and the order of aqua (water) is different, impacting consistency (see point 2)
Interestingly, the ingredient list for the tub I see is different than yours (and does include sweet almond oil):

1620441747498.png

Notice how similar this tub is to the ingredients for the kilo.

Sweet almond oil barely has any scent to it. It is used in cosmetics to condition the skin, not for fragrance. The almond flavor we are accustomed to in cookies, cakes, etc. comes from the bitter almond, a different plant.

Interestingly, the ingredient list for the tub I see is different than yours (and does include sweet almond oil):

View attachment 1263520

Sweet almond oil barely has any scent to it. It is used in cosmetics to condition the skin, not for fragrance. The almond flavor we are accustomed to in cookies, cakes, etc. comes from the bitter almond, a different plant.
Is Cella a shaving cream or shaving soap? Based on the label it’s cream, but on the Connaught website it is listed as a soap. I just ordered six tubs from them. If I knew better, it’s a cream, would have passed on it.

Is Cella a shaving cream or shaving soap? Based on the label it’s cream, but on the Connaught website it is listed as a soap. I just ordered six tubs from them. If I knew better, it’s a cream, would have passed on it.
It is in-between, similar to the consistency of Proraso. Some people say it is "soap", others say "cream soap". It's very good, though.

Last edited:
It's too hard to be a cream

But not as hard as a bar of hand soap

(Sent from mobile)

View attachment 1263520

good catch. Then it’s the difference in scent

It is in-between, similar to the consistency of Proraso. Some people say it is "soap", others say "cream soap". It's very good, though.
Agreed, it's definitely in the grey area between soap and cream. Personally, I prefer using the term "croap" for Cella and Proraso, but wouldn't be upset if someone called them soaps. IMHO, they're more soap-like than cream-like. Of course, reasonable minds may differ.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I prefer the ‘brick’ to the tub, but both are excellent! :a29:
I always have the small tub, and even that usually takes me 3-4 years to finish as it only gets used once every couple of weeks. How often do you use your Cella, in ballpark terms? How long do estimate your brick will last if you stay the current pace?

I couldn't tell much difference in scent, consistency, or performance. I bought a kilo about 3 or 4 years ago. Still have about 75g left and once I finish it, I'll probably never buy another kilo of soap. :straight:

I always have the small tub, and even that usually takes me 3-4 years to finish as it only gets used once every couple of weeks. How often do you use your Cella, in ballpark terms? How long do estimate your brick will last if you stay the current pace?

Tough question!

My guess is every week or so!

Fyi, there are sellers out there that will sell you a portion of a brick. Its economical because its a smaller ammount rather then having the rest spoil on you. Having said that, I bought a portion of a kilo and I will say its consistancy is different and the scent is different from the tub. The kilo is denser then the tub and does perform slightly better in my opinion and the scent is lighter. What I did was press the kilo piece into an empty plastic tub of cella I had saved and I spoon a bit out into a bowl and make my lather that way. Since water doesnt touch the tub it seems to last longer and fresher longer too.

Larry

They both work well for me but I prefer the kilo version over the tub because I find the tub on the small side. Just cut a chunk off and put it in the container of my choice

Top Bottom