What's new

Cella Red Tub.

Unfortunately I couldn't get through the first pass and had to wash it off my face. I liked the marzipan scent just fine. It burned bad though. I have never tried another Almond soap.

Unfortunately I couldn't get through the first pass and had to wash it off my face. I liked the marzipan scent just fine. It burned bad though. I have never tried another Almond soap.
Newbie thought. Put 14g in a bowl, let it sit in the open air for 2-5 weeks and try again. Mine burned like crazy when I first got it. I switched to a milder blade and milder razor (Viking Blade Chieftain Jr.) though the best result is with the Rapira. Probably took me 2-3 months before I could use it without burning, my face just was not used to the tallow. Exfoliate the night before and instead of soaps just try a wash cloth-no soap. Also, to reduce irritation I did most of the loading and lather building straight in the bowl. Two-and-fro motions, back and forth motions like painting. No swirl and no scratches from circular motions.

I put around 7-14g in Captain's Choice lather bowls and just let it sit out for the entire month. I got through 1-2 bowls a week and those are head and face shaves. There is always soap left in the bottom of the bowl after the first shave. I let it air dry. Have never had a problem with CELLA since I tried that approach.

You might try another brush. Start with a pure and try a silvertip. And try a glass of water to hydrate your skin.

All I did was lather. It was an allergic reaction. I do not think airing it out would help in my case. I know when a soap doesn't play nice with my skin.
Edit. I will also add a soaps scent is big factor for me. There are soaps that I like a lot more than Cella that I can use and enjoy with out the hassle. My tub I sold on the BST forum. Somebody else that may enjoy it a lot more benefited from it.

Last edited:
@jonwilson have you tried the CELLA red tube? the green stuff I was given as a gift was super thick. I think it is meant to be applied to the tips of a wet brush instead of a bowl. Saves you the effort of bowl lathering and loading. I don't know if the tube is the same stuff.

1657486806130.png

Just had my first shave with Cella red. Scooped a little out and lathered in a bowl. Performance was great and I really like the scent of it as well. Going to grab some of the green as well. How is their aftershave?

Reactions: Kix
Have not used my first tub yet, but I love walking by and opening it up and smelling it. It has a nice pleasing delicious scent. smells like almond and cherries.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Cella is amazing stuff. Everyone should try it at some point. I mean, you're already here and spending too much money on soap anyway, right? So throw some in your cart next time you need to top it off to get the free shipping and enjoy this oldy, but goody. Unless you're allergic to almond oil. In that case, don't. But everyone else - give a go!

another thing, I read by some that cella sometimes goes bad or rancid. will this be a problem for the regular 5.2 oz tubs? I usually keep my unused soaps in a cabinet. have any of you had problems with your cella going rancid or bad? this may just be a problem for the brick sized cella they sell I think.
I bought a tub and liked it initially but there was an ingredient in it that caused it to turn rancid in about a year. That's never happened with other soaps or creams I've purchased. Cella is off my radar now and not recommended.

I used cella a few days ago. Did not get a real good lather. It dried out on me. I don't know if it's because I didn't load enough or add enough water. the container is very small and it's sometimes hard to fit a brush in there to pick up lather.I also used a ton of stirling frost drops with the cella and I am wondering if that is responsible for the dry lather I got from cella. Menthol is from what I hear to be somewhat of a lather killer.

I used cella a few days ago. Did not get a real good lather. It dried out on me. I don't know if it's because I didn't load enough or add enough water. the container is very small and it's sometimes hard to fit a brush in there to pick up lather.I also used a ton of stirling frost drops with the cella and I am wondering if that is responsible for the dry lather I got from cella. Menthol is from what I hear to be somewhat of a lather killer.

Instead of using the tub, I would suggest that you dip out a Dollop with your finger and work up your lather in a bowl. Then try using more water. Cella is capable of making some great lather. :thumbsup:

Instead of using the tub, I would suggest that you dip out a Dollop with your finger and work up your lather in a bowl. Then try using more water. Cella is capable of making some great lather. :thumbsup:
I actually just used cella again today and got a much better lather. I loaded more and did not add any stirling frost drops to the soap.

I love it and went through a tub pretty fast (nearly used up since mid June). So I just bought a brick.

The rancid issue is interesting—I'll try sealing it in an air-tight baggy and keeping it on a shelf in our cool, dehumidified basement. (Fridge is too crowded—we have teenagers.)

The only other soap I've tried is this Sierra Pine stuff from the Vermont Country Store, which my wife bought for me:
Smell is fine, a bit like one of those car air fresheners. But the lather is not so hot. I can get it pretty thick-looking in a bowl using a boar brush. But it ends up being pretty frothy on my face, and sort of collapses in the bowl for the second and third passes. Makes the Cella's performance seem even better by contrast!

Last edited:
Top Bottom