What's new

Cella Red Tub.

I know this soap has been around since 1899, but this will be the first time I've used it. I ordered a few tubs of it. I know from what people have said, that it has an almond cherry like scent. How is the lather on this soap, does it lather easily and does a 5 oz tub last a long time would you say? a couple of months worth at least? how would you guys compare it to proraso shave soaps? is it superior? it's also a croap right?

Ditto with @BigJ. Cella Red is a staple in my soap drawer as well. Mine is lasting the equivalent of 6 months of daily use, but we also have soft water that lathers like crazy. In terms of sheer value, it is among my top 3 (Arko and Haslinger Shafmilch being the others).

how would you compare it to arko? do you prefer it over arko if you had to pick?

another thing, I read by some that cella sometimes goes bad or rancid. will this be a problem for the regular 5.2 oz tubs? I usually keep my unused soaps in a cabinet. have any of you had problems with your cella going rancid or bad? this may just be a problem for the brick sized cella they sell I think.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
I live in the humid Midwest, and have had no issues with my 2-year old Cella. It is still fresh as day one.

Don't tell @FarmerTan (Arko's biggest fan), but here is why I prefer Cella red:
  • Scent: Cella's cherry-almond reminds me of mom's Christmas baking; far better than Arko's mosquito-repellent citronella.
  • Lather: I find Cella's lather slightly denser than Arko's.
  • Packaging: I really like Cella's tub design - fits well in the palm. I only have the Arko in stick form, which makes it my perfect travel soap. Oh, and by the way, Cella's Santa is cool, while Arko's dude is a bit creepy.
But then, there's the taste. Please don't ask why I know this, but I do. Nothing tastes worse on planet Earth than Cella Red. I presume Arko wins the taste test challenge.

Either way, I think you'll enjoy. All the best!

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I have had issues with both the red tub and the brick. Either would go rancid in about 2-3 months if stored outside the fridge. I stored my brick in the fridge, cutting off what I needed, and it lasted 2-3 years, but it too turned brown and smelled stale. That’s rancid oil, likely the almond oil. Almond oil is also a great culinary oil too, but it will also go rancid in the fridge in a few months.

The soap will still perform the same, it will just be brown and not smell that good.

People have different experiences with Cella going rancid, I suspect that a lot of the soap that goes bad quickly has been sitting on a dealer’s shelf for a long time before we bought it. But there’s no getting around the fact that almond oil will spoil rather quickly without preservatives. Lower temperatures help.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I live in the humid Midwest, and have had no issues with my 2-year old Cella. It is still fresh as day one.

• Scent: Cella's cherry-almond reminds me of mom's Christmas baking; far better than Arko's mosquito-repellent citronella.
  • Packaging: I really like Cella's tub design - fits well in the palm. I only have the Arko in stick form, which makes it my perfect travel soap. Oh, and by the way, Cella's Santa is cool, while Arko's dude is a bit creepy.
But then, there's the taste. Please don't ask why I know this, but I do. Nothing tastes worse on planet Earth than Cella Red. I presume Arko wins the taste test challenge.

Arko is not to be eaten?

Don't tell that to the Peasants in Arkoland!

Cella burns my incredibly handsome face. Performance and smell are top notch, but I can't risk my looks, my brother.

I have ALREADY lost my lungs!

thank you for your helpful comment. I look forward to shaving with cella red. :)

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
The performance is good but the smell is great, that’s what keeps me coming back. I have nothing else that comes close to that fine fragrance. Two years on with the same tub kept in my den drawer, no problems, although clearly some have had an issue, but so far so good for me. Hope you enjoy it!

I had a tub of TSE shaving soap that lists tallow as the main ingredient, go bad in a little over 3 months. My tub of Cella red is kept in the fridge just in case. I also have a tub of Cella green which doesn't contain tallow, that sets out on a shelf.
It has always seemed to me that tallow based soaps are a bit slicker, but I can’t really tell much difference between the two.

My Cella red also stays in the fridge.

Cella Bio stays in the cabinet.
I sadly cancelled my 2 tubs of cella red at the last moment because of that first thing you said. I looked around at other shaving forums as well and there were quite a few people who had their cella reds going rancid on them and some of them even said changing color. I don't wanna take a chance especially when I have so many other shave soaps to use. Maybe I will try it in the near future, who knows. I don't doubt it's a good soap based on the reviews I read about it, but the reviews of cella going rancid did worry me a little bit. I am one that will buy a new soap, use it as soon as I get it, then put it away for a while in my cabinet where I store my shave soaps and other shave stuff.

I sadly cancelled my 2 tubs of cella red at the last moment because of that first thing you said. I looked around at other shaving forums as well and there were quite a few people who had their cella reds going rancid on them and some of them even said changing color. I don't wanna take a chance especially when I have so many other shave soaps to use. Maybe I will try it in the near future, who knows. I don't doubt it's a good soap based on the reviews I read about it, but the reviews of cella going rancid did worry me a little bit. I am one that will buy a new soap, use it as soon as I get it, then put it away for a while in my cabinet where I store my shave soaps and other shave stuff.
You could try Cella green, it doesn’t contain tallow, so it should keep. IMO Cella red is just a hair slicker than the green. Both are great soaps. 🤗

You could try Cella green, it doesn’t contain tallow, so it should keep. IMO Cella red is just a hair slicker than the green. Both are great soaps. 🤗
is it the tallow causing it for to rancid? I have plenty of other tallow soaps and none have gone rancid on me. I think someone said it was the almond oil in cella that makes the soap go rancid. maybe some others can verify this.

Top Bottom