What's new

Cella, Razorock XXX, and Valobra

I won an excellent PIF that included 3 soaps and a Gem Clog Pruf with blades from @Hannah's Dad. All the of these soaps have been on my "want to try" list but for whatever reason never made it to the top, so I was super excited to win.

The soaps all have a classic scent. Cella is a sweet, cherry almond, while Valobra is more pure almond (I was surprised at how soft it is, too). XXX is crazy amazing, though. Short story; I grew up in a small town, and when I was a kid my dad would take me to Johnny's Barbershop on Main Street for my haircuts. I loved going to Johnny's with my dad, and loved watching the barber pole turn while he got his hair cut and an occasional shave. I don't know what soap Johnny used, but XXX smells like that old barbershop--it was that familiar when I smelled it. I'm super excited to try it and if it's even marginally good, it will always be in my rotation.

However, I decided to try Cella first since I've wanted to try it the longest. The scent is pleasant and not over bearing. It lathered quickly and provides good cushioning. It's not as slick as the Stirling I've been using this week, but I'd say it performs as well as Proraso. It rinsed cleanly and the shave with the Gem was nice and smooth with a little stinging from the alum, but no redness or weepers.

Tomorrow I'll add my review of XXX and then Valobra.
IMG_20180320_073047301.jpg

Cella and Valobra are excellent IME! Just assure that you include plenty of water.

I have not tried the Razorock, so look forward to your review of that one.

Cella and Valobra are excellent IME! Just assure that you include plenty of water.

I have not tried the Razorock, so look forward to your review of that one.
The Cella is so soft and loaded so easy, I wondered if a little more water would have increased sickness. I'm sure more use will help me dial that in.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I won an excellent PIF that included 3 soaps and a Gem Clog Pruf with blades from @Hannah's Dad. All the of these soaps have been on my "want to try" list but for whatever reason never made it to the top, so I was super excited to win.

The soaps all have a classic scent. Cella is a sweet, cherry almond, while Valobra is more pure almond (I was surprised at how soft it is, too). XXX is crazy amazing, though. Short story; I grew up in a small town, and when I was a kid my dad would take me to Johnny's Barbershop on Main Street for my haircuts. I loved going to Johnny's with my dad, and loved watching the barber pole turn while he got his hair cut and an occasional shave. I don't know what soap Johnny used, but XXX smells like that old barbershop--it was that familiar when I smelled it. I'm super excited to try it and if it's even marginally good, it will always be in my rotation.

However, I decided to try Cella first since I've wanted to try it the longest. The scent is pleasant and not over bearing. It lathered quickly and provides good cushioning. It's not as slick as the Stirling I've been using this week, but I'd say it performs as well as Proraso. It rinsed cleanly and the shave with the Gem was nice and smooth with a little stinging from the alum, but no redness or weepers.

Tomorrow I'll add my review of XXX and then Valobra. View attachment 869112
So glad you’re enjoying everything, Mike! Better to be used than to just be sitting in my den. I look forward to your Valobra review. FYI ... if you love the XXX scent, you’ll want to try Stirling Piacenza. It’s a perfect scent match, IMHO.

Last edited:
Cella is one of the slickest soaps I've ever used. Just keep adding water and you'll get a great slick lather. Beats Proraso hands down IMO.

Cella and Valobra are excellent soaps. Vitos can even add a tad of cushion and slickness to that. Those Italians for sure know how to make soft soap! :badger:

So glad you’re enjoying everything, Mike! Better to be used than to just be sitting in my den. I look forward to your Valobra review. FYI ... if you love the XXX scent, you’ll want to try Stirling Piacenza. It’s a perfect scent match, IMHO.
I think I may need to buy the Piacenza bath soap to try out while I use the XXX. I’m always pleased with everything Stirling does.

Cella is one of my favorite shaving products. I use it more than any other cream or soap. I bought a kilo, gave away half, and have enough left for about 27 years.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I think I may need to buy the Piacenza bath soap to try out while I use the XXX. I’m always pleased with everything Stirling does.
The bath soaps are incredible. They’re soft and don’t last like triple milled soaps, but for a few bucks, they are worth it. I use the Piacenza and Sandpiper bath soaps. Clean, manly scents.

Day 2--Razorock XXX. I've heard lots of good things about Razorock, so I had high expectations. The soap didn't disappoint. It lathered quickly with my badger brush. Nice cushioning and slickness too rival my other tallow soaps - - Stirling and WSP Formula T. And as I said in my first post, the scent takes me back to my dad's old barbershop. This soap is a keeper!

I'm participating in the 2018 sabbatical, and ironically, a fellow participant recently fell out after winning a soap PIF and buying the matching AS. I thought of that last night as I was visiting the Italian Barber website looking at XXX AS...

Cella is one of my favorite shaving products. I use it more than any other cream or soap. I bought a kilo, gave away half, and have enough left for about 27 years.

I have seen several people mention a kilo. Where would one purchase that? Thanks.

-Tim

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Day 2--Razorock XXX. I've heard lots of good things about Razorock, so I had high expectations. The soap didn't disappoint. It lathered quickly with my badger brush. Nice cushioning and slickness too rival my other tallow soaps - - Stirling and WSP Formula T. And as I said in my first post, the scent takes me back to my dad's old barbershop. This soap is a keeper!

I'm participating in the 2018 sabbatical, and ironically, a fellow participant recently fell out after winning a soap PIF and buying the matching AS. I thought of that last night as I was visiting the Italian Barber website looking at XXX AS...
Razorock XXX is one of my favorites, do not have the A.S, but it is one of my more pleasant mornings shaving when mixing XXX lather up in my shaving bowl smelling the sweet scents knowing spring is around the corner and new annual life for nature begins.WOW must be dreaming!
proxy.php

I have seen several people mention a kilo. Where would one purchase that? Thanks.

-Tim
I don't remember which vendor I bought mine from - probably Maggards. The kilo (1000 grams) is widely available online. I remember there was quite a range of prices, so it pays to shop around a little.

Top Bottom