What's new

Cella Rapid Shaving Cream

I haven't seen much of anything said about this brush-less cream, so I thought I'd leave a review here for anyone who might be curious about it. I was looking for a brush-less cream for those mornings when I'm running too short on time for a proper shave, and I spotted this on an eBay auction where I was the only bidder. I got it for under $6 US, shipping included. It was well worth the 6 bucks for the intended purpose, but still mot something that I will work into a regular rotation. I used it through most of the past week, shaving with a 1960's Gillette Tech loaded with Bevel or Feather blades. To apply, I wet my hands, dispensed a generously almond-sized dollop of cream, rubbed my hands together to mix, and applied the cream to my wet face.

Appearance and physical properties - It comes out of the tube as a milky, translucent gel. The scent is a synthetic marzipan odor. The Cella cream in a tub smells better. It is slightly runny, in that when I tilt my palm it will start to slide. When applied to wet skin it is practically transparent, only a wet glint showing where it is applied. It dissolves easily in water, rinsing effortlessly from the razor and down the drain. I expect that cartridge users would have no problem with it clogging up their blades.

Slickness - This is likely the slickest substance I've every applied to my face. In fact, it is maybe a little too slick. I can not feel the blade at all when I use it. Even a very dull blade glides easily across the face with no feedback as to whether or not hair is being cut.

Residual slickness - There is plenty of residual slickness for buffing. There is almost enough for my to just re-wet my face and do a quick second pass.

Cushion - None to speak of.

Postshave - It's OK. I don't get a tight feeling after the shave. But an hour or so afterwords, my face does not feel as smooth and soft as it would after using my favorite soaps or creams.

Latherablity - Poor, obviously. It is a brush-less cream. I can work it up into a thin sort of lather. Slickness does not suffer, but it also doesn't gain any cushion. The one benefit to lathering is it makes the cream easier to see on my face. However, it leaves an oily residue on the brush, so I would not recommend using a natural hair brush with it. Also, it does not later easily, so that takes the "rapid" out of "Rapid Shaving Cream".

Context - You probably want to know how it compares to Cremo. Sorry, I can't tell you. I've never used it. I've only used one other brush-less product. That was Origins Blade Runner, which I think is a pretty good product. I find Cella Rapid Shaving Cream to be slicker, but harder to use.

Overall - It's not a bad product, but not something I will ever enjoy using. It does what it is meant to do without fuss. I get irritation free shaves from it. I was even able to do a quick, touch up shave with 12 hours growth without tearing up my face. I have never been able to do that with any other product. But unfortunately, I don't get close shaves from it. Because it goes on clear, it's hard for me to tell where I've already shaved so I tend to miss a few hairs. It's so exceptionally slick that I can't feel or hear feedback when buffing. I can't reliably feel if my angle is all wrong and the blade isn't touching skin. I can't even feel with my off hand where I have a little stubble left until I rinse the stuff off at the end of a shave. I bought this to get me quick, socially acceptable shaves when I'm short on time. This does the job for that purpose, but I will never look forward to using it.

That's a bummer you weren't a fan. I like it quite a bit. It's very slick. I think it is designed to work with cartridges and I don't think it's meant for someone looking for a perfect shave.

I use it only when I'm running late to work. Slap it on, rip a Mach3 ATG, rinse, aftershave, go. That said, in that situation, it's very good.

That's why it's called "Rapido". :)

Compared to Cremo, I think I like this better. Cremo has a strange smell that I find unpleasant. I like Italian almond soaps, so I like Cella.
It's definitely slicker than Cremo, but Cremo is not translucent so it's much easier to see where you've already shaved through a fogged-up mirror.

It's worth a try, in my opinion.

Nah, Cella soap, I'm all set with that. So many other Italian almond soft soaps out there that, in my opinion, smell better and perform just as well, if not better.
The original P.160 (gone now), Razorock's P.160 and Classic (latest formulation), 3P, Valobra.

I could never get past Cella's cloyingly sweet scent. More like an almond candy rather than almond oil.

This one is really different. Virtually no fragrance (ok by me). The slickest cream or soap I've ever used, and the slickness lasts. Meant to be used without a brush. In fact, a brush just absorbs the cream and makes it harder to apply. So just squeeze out the usual almond-size dollop, or less, on your hands and rub it into your wet, wet face.

I won't sell my brushes yet. But, if performance and efficiency are all that matter, this one is hard to beat. BTW, if you can't stand to do without a brush, my guess is that this would make a great pre-shave.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
This one is really different. Virtually no fragrance (ok by me). The slickest cream or soap I've ever used, and the slickness lasts. Meant to be used without a brush. In fact, a brush just absorbs the cream and makes it harder to apply. So just squeeze out the usual almond-size dollop, or less, on your hands and rub it into your wet, wet face.

I won't sell my brushes yet. But, if performance and efficiency are all that matter, this one is hard to beat. BTW, if you can't stand to do without a brush, my guess is that this would make a great pre-shave.
Thanks for reviving this thread! I've got to say that this product slipped under my radar. I've got WAY too much invested in my brushes to go straight-up brushless; but there are times when I'm traveling or just have time for a single pass quickie shave, and a really good brushless cream (i.e., super-slick) would be very handy. I also really like your idea of using it as a pre-shave....very smart!

So it's on my list (aka radar), and it's at my favorite shave retailer for a good price....nothing stopping me now except for some self-restraint....so I guess there's nothing stop me! :laugh:

Thanks for reviving this thread! I've got to say that this product slipped under my radar. I've got WAY too much invested in my brushes to go straight-up brushless; but there are times when I'm traveling or just have time for a single pass quickie shave, and a really good brushless cream (i.e., super-slick) would be very handy. I also really like your idea of using it as a pre-shave....very smart!

So it's on my list (aka radar), and it's at my favorite shave retailer for a good price....nothing stopping me now except for some self-restraint....so I guess there's nothing stop me! :laugh:

I've used the Cella Rapida with and without a brush now. Oddly, I seem to get a closer shave with a brush, but I can't tell the difference while I'm shaving or right afterwards--just later in the day. I probably need to refine my brushless technique. With a brush it seems that the knot should be somewhat wetter than usual. Also, some knots, like my Duke 2 in Best, like to absorb the cream before it gets to my face, but others, like my Plisson Blaireau Pur or my Simfix Manchurian, let the cream do its work--as long as they're really wet.

So I'm still experimenting. I haven't tried the pre-shave thing yet either.

BTW, who's your favorite shaving retailer?

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
BTW, who's your favorite shaving retailer?
Maggard Razors -- I've done many orders of various items and have just always gotten great service from them. On the "other side of the pond", I really like Connaught Shaving (but looks like they only have the traditional Cella soap).

Well I guess since this has bumped once already this year, it wouldn't be so bad to bump it again now.

It does seem to be the only thread in the whole forum about the Cella Fast or Rapid Cream, so there's that.

The mixed feelings reported above are probably due that this, despite being called a cream, is actually a clear gel meant for lining up beards.

The marketing blurb does say "special cream, to be used without a brush for an ultra-rapid shave" but IMO they're just trying to cast a wider net, as it is fairly obvious from the rest of it, that the fast cream is indeed a shaving gel.

I'm bringing this up because my last tube of Sul Filo del Rasoio is almost empty, and trying to pick my next get: will it be American Crew or Cella?

Top Bottom