What's new

Cella Pronunciation?

I thought as much, but you can't be too careful with things like this. People get excited, tempers flare, this is serious business! Thank you.

Funny story, I was buying a bottle of Osage Rub this week, and the old guy at the register said, "Oh, yah, the OH-SAGE Rub, good stuff that."

I've always pronounced it "oz-udge", never even considered putting the syllable break between the O and the S.

As a veteran of the 1970's Cella wine commercials, I always assumed it was "chella", as in Aldo.

Chill a Cella. Good lord, how those brainworms stay with you.

After taking 7 years of Italian, that mistake (from others) drives me entirely insane.

Nothing's worse than "I want a panini," or "We're having paninis!"

As my Italian teacher said, the word "panino" sounds just as exotic as "panini" so why has the latter become synonymous with meaning a singular sandwich?

This one always just made sense to me, somehow. I hear the "sch" in bruschetta the same way I hear it in scheme. No one would say, "What are you 'sheeming' about?"

It probably sounds better that way when laz-ag-na is the special of the day or is it that tag-la-tell-ee.:blink:

Last edited:
Nothing's worse than "I want a panini," or "We're having paninis!"

As my Italian teacher said, the word "panino" sounds just as exotic as "panini" so why has the latter become synonymous with meaning a singular sandwich?

Panini has become an English word now, Italian grammar rules don't apply.

Top Bottom