What's new

Cella is great.

Cracked open a vac packed chunk of Cella out of my stash closet that’s been laying there patiently as I fooled around with miscellaneous other soaps. Wow! Cella’s better then all that artisan junk. It bursts instantly into a thick, creamy, protective and properly scented lather that shaves perfectly. Everybody else is second fiddle to this classic.

IMG_20220409_023654.jpg

I agree. I almost exclusively shave with cella now. The extra extra purissima and the extra extra bio both work equally well IMHO. For me, the tallow soap performs just a tiny bit better during the shave (slicker and thicker), but the aloe vera soap has a nicer scent and better post-shave feel.

Since these are about the only soaps I use these days, I load directly from the tub. So much more fun than scooping. Just recently got a brick as well (took advantage of a sale). Cella is great!

Ive been using Cella exclusively for about 2 years now, it really is a great soap.
I just refilled my hammered copper bowl today with another 1” squared chunk of Cella. Looking at my current kilo which was started mid January ‘21, theres still about 10+ 1” cubes left. I never really kept track how long a small chunk lasts, but I think that’s at least good for 6 months. I think my last kilo lasted just under 2 years but I used to squeeze excess lather back into the bowl, which I no longer do.

I'm really enjoying the Cella Extra Extra Bio (green tub) these days. I'm kind of burned out on the usual Italian soft soap almond scents.

One of my favourite soaps.
Is Vitos similar? Not easy to find Vitos in 150 gram bowls for some reason.
Standard Vitos comes in three varieties: regular, extra super and extra super coco. Extra super varieties have added glycerin. Extra super coco has added coconut scent. Vitos and Cella Red are somewhat similar, but Vitos uses hydrogenated tallow and should last longer in storage. Vitos scent is like an almond-y play dough.

Vitos is sold in inexpensive bulk 1000ml blocks, mainly to barbershops. Connaught used to repackage it into smaller tubs, but they stopped selling it after Brexit.
1649489500226.png

Last edited:

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Cracked open a vac packed chunk of Cella out of my stash closet that’s been laying there patiently as I fooled around with miscellaneous other soaps. Wow! Cella’s better then all that artisan junk. It bursts instantly into a thick, creamy, protective and properly scented lather that shaves perfectly. Everybody else is second fiddle to this classic.
could you provide more details as to the vac pac process and system you use here? I’ve thought about getting the brick but was concerned about it spoiling or storage. Thx

Vito’s 1k brick is less expensive on A that the cella brick. 2.2 lbs of soap of my!

could you provide more details as to the vac pac process and system you use here? I’ve thought about getting the brick but was concerned about it spoiling or storage. Thx

Vito’s 1k brick is less expensive on A that the cella brick. 2.2 lbs of soap of my!
I know the question wasn't direct at me, but here's my set up:
20220409_140904.jpg

This is a Weston vacuum sealer with 4 freshly sealed quarters of Vito Extra Super Coco. I use We Vac sealing bags. The rubber bands simply hold the sealed flaps tight to the block. I use this for food storage and sous vide cooking, too.

I slice mine into about 1/2 in. Slices right off the block, vacuum seal it and store it in a dark corner of a closet. Works great.

I know the question wasn't direct at me, but here's my set up:
View attachment 1437082
This is a Weston vacuum sealer with 4 freshly sealed quarters of Vito Extra Super Coco. I use We Vac sealing bags. The rubber bands simply hold the sealed flaps tight to the block. I use this for food storage and sous vide cooking, too.
Do you wrap the soap pieces in paper or something before putting them in the plastic bags? I've seen some people use butcher paper or wax paper for this.

Top Bottom