What's new

Cella, ah Cella

I put my semi-annual order in to Bullgoose the other day and a package of goodies showed up on Saturday. Included in this package was some Proraso Sensitive pre-shave cream and Cella Cema da Barba. I decided to try these based on the glowing reviews here, especially those of our man on the ground: Marco. I couldn't wait for my Sunday night shave time (usually after the wife and kids are in bed so I can relax). After hopping out of the showerI wet down my face and masaged in some Proraso Sensitive pre-shave cream. Woah! This stuff felt invigorating (esp. for something without menthol in it). Great smell, and it felt like it was helping my skin and whiskers. Let that sit while I soaked my brush and put a new Derby blade in my Merkur. Squeezed out my brush and started loading it with Cella. WOW! Holy Lather! When I started to face lather it just exploded. Rich, dense, moisturizing and slick. Until this time Tabac was the be-all/end-all for me but the Cella blew it away on all levels except scent - I enjoy the Tabac scent more. The Cella is by no means unpleasant, I just like the old-time barber shop smell of Tabac more than the old-time barber shop smell of Cella :laugh:. At the end of my shave (WTG-XTG-ATG+touchups around my beard and moustache) I had plenty of lather left on my brush. My skin, which I can normally get baby-butt smooth was smoother and flatter (no signs of bumps whatsoever). I threw on some Ogallala bay rum, lime and peppercorns aftershave more because it was another new toy than to match the rest of the shave. It was the odd man out and I was surprised about how limey it was but it did make my face feel even better. Thanks everyone who turned me on to the Cella!

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Excellent, mate! :thumbup1: However, in my opinion, there's no real need to use a pre-shave treatment with this mighty Italian soft soap. Cella, in fact, is so good, effective and powerful that pre-shave creams and oils are simply useless. :wink2:

Cella kicks butt, no lie. And if the little red tub isn't enough for you, it's available in 1kg bricks, I hear.

I received a small red tub of Cella a few weeks ago and first impressions were that I liked the shave, not the scent. I put it to the side and decided to use it for travel.

Well, I've been using it for the last 8 days of my current trip. It seems to improve it's shaving properties every day: lather is super simple, even with my small synthetic travel brush, and it is protective, slick, moisturizing, etc.

I don't notice the scent much anymore. It's starting to smell like "a good shave."

I had a tub arrive today. Smell isn't anything to talk about but man does it make a good lather. Really moisturizing.

If Cella had a more neutral scent I'd use it more often as sometimes I just can't stand the sweet almond odor. It's a good soap, but I wouldn't trade my MWF for it. I try to use it once a week.

Love the lather and love the smell. It's close to perfection.

I'm eager to try the Vitos Extra Super to see if the added glycerin will make it better than Cella.:tongue_sm

I have a tub of Cella. I like the smell, & the lather looks ok but I find the performance is underwhelming compared to other soaps I could mention.

What's my problem???:001_huh:

I have a tub of Cella. I like the smell, & the lather looks ok but I find the performance is underwhelming compared to other soaps I could mention.

Such as... :) (I am new here and trying to find what to try...)

I had the same with Vitos at first. You do not have enough soap and/or water. Try Marco's way of lathering, that will do the trick (wet brush, not shaken dry, just let the water drip of, swirl about 45 secs on top of the soap, aply to face and face lather).

Love the lather and love the smell. It's close to perfection.

I'm eager to try the Vitos Extra Super to see if the added glycerin will make it better than Cella.:tongue_sm

To me the added glycerin has no effect, but I have an oily skin, so perhaps it is that?

If Cella had a more neutral scent I'd use it more often as sometimes I just can't stand the sweet almond odor. It's a good soap, but I wouldn't trade my MWF for it. I try to use it once a week.

Vitos is a bit milder in scent, perhaps you should try a sample of that.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy

How do you make lather? And what brush do you use?

Excellent, mate! :thumbup1: However, in my opinion, there's no real need to use a pre-shave treatment with this mighty Italian soft soap. Cella, in fact, is so good, effective and powerful that pre-shave creams and oils are simply useless. :wink2:

Marco, I have no doubt the Cella would perform well without the pre-shave, but what's the fun in that?

What type of water do you have (soft or hard)? I am challenged when it comes to making lather and all I did was soak my brush in some warm water, squeeze out the water, give a couple of flicks to shake out some more water than swirl around the dry soap for maybe 25-30 revolutions. The brush was completely loaded.

I agree the Cella is a great soap. I started with out with Proraso sensitive soap, but bought this on peoples recommendations. WOW lathers so much better that the Proraso.

Top Bottom